LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

Is Dashon Goldson the best FS in the NFL?

Shop 49ers game tickets
He thinks so....
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapShee

t#Bucs DB Dashon Goldson was fined $30,000 this week, for hitting a defenseless receiver in the neck and head.
He used to be. Now Eric Reid is the best.
Not the best but anyone who doesn't think Goldson is a top tier FS doesn't know sheeeit from toothpaste! Way too many people bash the guy but he plays physical. He plays faster than his timed speed. Has great closing speed for a player of his size. And his wing span celebration is just bad ass after he blasts someone into next week. Tell me that doesn't get you fired up. Excellent player. A few personal fouls is all people have to throw at the guy.
[ Edited by NinerG94 on Sep 13, 2013 at 1:28 PM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapShee

t#Bucs DB Dashon Goldson was fined $30,000 this week, for hitting a defenseless receiver in the neck and head.

soon , no hitting will be allowed

he got fined for that??? WTF!! perfectly legal hit! #FREETHEHAWK!
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Not the best but anyone who doesn't think Goldson is a top tier FS doesn't know sheeeit from toothpaste! Way too many people bash the guy but he plays physical. He plays faster than his timed speed. Has great closing speed for a player of his size. And his wing span celebration is just bad ass after he blasts someone into next week. Tell me that doesn't get you fired up. Excellent player. A few personal fouls is all people have to throw at the guy.

Goldson is a good player, but there is more to being great at the FREE safety position than hard hits.
He has too many lapses in coverage to be considered the best. Physical player, yes, but even there he too often whifs on tackles going for the big hit rather than wrapping up (a common problem in the league).
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapShee

Was there a flag thrown on that play?
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Muggins:
Was there a flag thrown on that play?

doesn't look like it.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Goldson is a good player, but there is more to being great at the FREE safety position than hard hits.
He has too many lapses in coverage to be considered the best. Physical player, yes, but even there he too often whifs on tackles going for the big hit rather than wrapping up (a common problem in the league).

Show me one FS in the game who doesn't have lapses in coverage. No he's not the best but he's an all around player. For someone who hits like he does also plays very well in coverage. And you're wrong. Goldson is an excellent tackler. He might try to go for the big hit a bit too often but that's just being aggressive. Doesn't mean he's not a good tackler. Again way too much is made of his negative plays and not enough credit given to ALL the good plays he made in a 49ers uniform. Typical of this fan base though. You're either in the hall of fame or you're rotten.
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapShee

I thought he was fined for the other hit he had

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapShee

Yeah, that's pretty BS, IMO. I think the league is trying to make an example of him because he has a reputation. The way I understand it, the league isn't looking to just force defenders to avoid hits to the head/neck area, but to actually lower the target below the shoulder pads/arms. The league sent out a video of hard legal hits from week one to every team. Eric Reid was the first player shown. He seems to go for a spear to the midsection with arms wide to wrap right after hit. Not a textbook tackle, but better than just throwing a shoulder, IMO.

I think we'll keep seeing these questionable flags and fines until the guys with reps for big hits start playing it extra safe. It sucks, but it's pretty normal to start extreme when trying to change a culture.

Show me one FS in the game who doesn't have lapses in coverage. No he's not the best but he's an all around player. For someone who hits like he does also plays very well in coverage. And you're wrong. Goldson is an excellent tackler. He might try to go for the big hit a bit too often but that's just being aggressive. Doesn't mean he's not a good tackler. Again way too much is made of his negative plays and not enough credit given to ALL the good plays he made in a 49ers uniform. Typical of this fan base though. You're either in the hall of fame or you're rotten.

It seems, it is YOU that is taking things to extreme points-of-view,
[ Edited by OKC49erFan on Sep 14, 2013 at 12:14 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Soon, he will be the "best FS in the NFL" at losing money!

Yeah Goldson is a very good safety all around and much better in coverage than a lot of people on this board would give him credit for. He's solid in coverage, makes plays on the ball, almost always a sure tackler, and in my opinion the hardest hitting safety in the entire league. Dude is a beast.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Yeah Goldson is a very good safety all around and much better in coverage than a lot of people on this board would give him credit for. He's solid in coverage, makes plays on the ball, almost always a sure tackler, and in my opinion the hardest hitting safety in the entire league. Dude is a beast.

who ends up costing a team with drive extending penalties. he also can not tackle straight up one on one. he is a x niner for good reasons
Share 49ersWebzone