There are 232 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Dashon Goldson the best FS in the NFL?

Originally posted by Ninerwinner:
I dont know about that...You have to remember he was injured for a couple years there before he finally broke into the scene in 2009 with Singleterd...There are some pretty good safeties in the League starting with one that we're going to face in Seattle this weekend.
I liked Dashon but he was a double edged sword with penalties accrued issuing the big hits not to mention how many times last year did he miss tackles or give up the big plays trying to knock someone out...I can remember several instances.

again, highest paid safety ever for a reason...and he was voted ALL PRO...not probowl but All Pro....which means best at your position.

but lets ignore that, act bitter and bash the ex-9er....like most around here usually do.

edit- so far though.. Reid has showed that he has the potential to be better than Goldson.. Reid seems to already have good instincts for a rookie, hits very hard and clean, and is very fast.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM ]
Goldson would have broke the bank and there are plenty of players the team needs more. That's that.

As far as Reid goes, he's shown the ability to be a serviceable replacement (so far) for Goldson with plenty of ceiling. And I'm sure if the coaches want him to, it will not take much for Donatell to teach Reid to lay the wood and draw 15 yard penalties...
Goldson was good but he is both overated and underated by posters on this board. He isnt the best at his position in terms of playing the pass, I'd give that to Jairus Byrd. But he was good at jumping passes and laying out runners or anyone coming over the middle. IMO the best safety in the NFL has to be able to provide consistent over the top coverage against the sideline, the route that always exposed Goldson due to shallow angles or not reading it soon enough.

Now that Reed has aged it is a toss up for the top safety, if you like big hits then Goldson is your answer if you like the Reed-type center fielder then you probably would go another direction for example, and I know he is hated for good reason, but Earl Thomas is probably the best overall. He allows the Corners to Jam and take chances and the line backers to blitz regularly.

I like what Im seeing out of Reid, he may have less highlight reels than Goldson but in return he wont screw up so many coverage assignments or allow as many big plays.
[ Edited by 5280High on Sep 10, 2013 at 4:53 PM ]
  • fip24
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 769
Originally posted by Afrikan:
again, highest paid safety ever for a reason...and he was voted ALL PRO...not probowl but All Pro....which means best at your position.

but lets ignore that, act bitter and bash the ex-9er....like most around here usually do.

edit- so far though.. Reid has showed that he has the potential to be better than Goldson.. Reid seems to already have good instincts for a rookie, hits very hard and clean, and is very fast.


Being the highest paid safety doesn't mean your the best safety.. Jared Allen is the highest paid defensive player in the league... how many GM would take him over JJ Watt?
With that said, Dashon is no doubt a very good safety, but I have always felt he was pretty overrated. strong in run support with a lot of flash plays but average covering the back end.
Reid > Goldson from what I saw week one. Reid played a clean efficient game with only 1 or 2 mistakes MAX, it would be a good game for a vet less known a rookie starting in his first game (a huge one at that). Goldson has no ints or any other sort of fumble or tackle for loss, not even a pass defended but guess what? He got flagged for a UR...
Eric Reid is the next Ed Reed... Book it... Goldson is third at best
[ Edited by TexasGuero49 on Sep 10, 2013 at 8:07 PM ]
Not as fast as Reid....
never was, never will be
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Not as fast as Reid....

not as good in coverage as Reid...
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Not as fast as Reid....

not as good in coverage as Reid...

Not buff as Reid ..
I loved gold son but I think Reid has the gift to be a much more high profile player in the long run
  • Antix
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5,099
Reid looks like he can be an All-Pro. Has the same mix of humility and on field confidence that confidence that Willis had his rookie year. If all goes well in 3-4 years he'll be considered a top safety in the league.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
never was, never will be

But Madden has him at 96!!!
  • HERN
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 403
Originally posted by fip24:
Being the highest paid safety doesn't mean your the best safety.. Jared Allen is the highest paid defensive player in the league... how many GM would take him over JJ Watt?
With that said, Dashon is no doubt a very good safety, but I have always felt he was pretty overrated. strong in run support with a lot of flash plays but average covering the back end.

I Believe You Meant To Say Aldon Smith Not JJWatt
Being paid 40M+ doesn't mean you are the best FS in the NFL. He gets penalties. And got fined again for late hit. He wasn't worth the time, and money.