There are 190 users in the forums

Is Dashon Goldson the best FS in the NFL?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
No,only homers would even consider him that. In reality the only reason he even gets consideration is for hitting, which is about the fourth most important thing a FS should be able to do and he sucks at tackling, reading plays and pursuit angles. As I said in another thread, f**k da$hon he cares more about money than being a niner, so he can go eat a bag of dripping raw dicks.

LMAO on this, thanks, Memphis.

Dashon could easily go the Aubrayo Franklin route, and it wouldn't surprise me. We really won't know his true worth till we see him function elsewhere... on a team not so stacked. I'd say overall, he's... good... but not 8+ mil a year good. Thanks for the good stuff, Dashon... bye now.
Even if he was still on the Niners I would say no. Earl Thomas is better than him IMO and I don't even think he ET is the best so no way would I say he is. I am curious to see what he does in Tampa though
No.

Overrated, Memphis9er hit it perfectly.

also so VERY stupid penalties that were completely unnecessary.

I'd lay odds he doesn't produce as advertised this season.

Our coaches & FO really know what they're doing.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
he can not or will not tackle one on one in open field
his history of idiotic penalties in his time with us has been well documented
he is over rated by many who like the big hit
he was not worth the money given to him
he will not be missed in the least by me
i believe poster memphis said it best in regards to a dripping bag of some sort of raw appendages
No.all you have to do is throw deep on him and he's burnt.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5timechamps:
No.all you have to do is throw deep on him and he's burnt.
i think he led the league in drive extending penalties for the other team
Originally posted by 5280High:
Goldson is not the best, off the top of my head I would still take Reed, Polomalu, or Byrd ahead of him in a heartbeat. Hes a big hitter but IMO his angles got exposed last year. Go and watch the playoff games again, his over the top coverage was pathetic, he consistently took bad angles and hung Brown and Culliver out to dry. He's good but overrated on this board. If he was a SS then he would be tops in the league, but as a FS he is on the cusp of the top 5 but no where close to top 3.

I guess money/ego was the issue, because releasing Whitner, moving Goldson to SS and drafting Reid would have seemed promising....
Only time we will miss him is the beginning of the season while Reid is still learning reads. Not sure who will actually start until the end of Exhibition Season.

DG was a decent Safety due to the system he was in being filled with very good players. He could do well in Tampa due to all the talent they brought in, but it could also be this years version of the "Dream Team" that Philly had when they brought in Nhamdi a couple of years back. It will be interesting to watch as it unfolds down there.

I'm hoping we will have a better Defensive Backfield this year due to Reid being able to cover ground quicker and hopefully taking batter angles than DG.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
No.

Overrated, Memphis9er hit it perfectly.

also so VERY stupid penalties that were completely unnecessary.

I'd lay odds he doesn't produce as advertised this season.

Our coaches & FO really know what they're doing.

+1 and also to what Memphis said. Tampa Bay will see he's not worth the money they dished out for him. He's solid but not anywhere near what the Bucs paid for him. I trust in our coaches and FO...they do know what they're doing.
def top 3 IMO

Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
def top 3 IMO

Everyone's entitled to his opinion. I liked Goldson while he was here but...

-- 37 safeties had more tackles last year
-- 7 safeties had more pass defenses
-- 10 safeties had more interceptions
-- 4 unnecessary roughness penalties (tied for the most in the league last year)
-- 2 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties (tied for most)
-- 1 pass interference call

Bottom line: not enough tackles, not enough passes defensed, not enough interceptions and way too many 15 yarders extending drives to be considered in the top five safeties in the league. The Bucs over-paid for both Goldson and Revis. They're not going anywhere.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
def top 3 IMO

Everyone's entitled to his opinion. I liked Goldson while he was here but...

-- 37 safeties had more tackles last year
-- 7 safeties had more pass defenses
-- 10 safeties had more interceptions
-- 4 unnecessary roughness penalties (tied for the most in the league last year)
-- 2 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties (tied for most)
-- 1 pass interference call

Bottom line: not enough tackles, not enough passes defensed, not enough interceptions and way too many 15 yarders extending drives to be considered in the top five safeties in the league. The Bucs over-paid for both Goldson and Revis. They're not going anywhere.

Stats don't tell the whole story of how made his presence on the field

Not saying he was the best, but he did make WR think twice
Probably the funnest to watch, not necessarily best.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Stats don't tell the whole story of how made his presence on the field

Not saying he was the best, but he did make WR think twice

I absolutely agree with that, but I've got a huge problem with that general approach to playing safety. I think the NFL is going to gradually make it almost impossible for a safety to be an "enforcer" anymore. I think that the NFL is moving away from the big hitting secondary and the strategy is going to be to stress tight coverage and pass rush to stop the passing game.
I'm really glad I didn't buy this chump's jersey. I thought he was a great FS until he got blown up in the post season. Niners are a championship caliber team. Tampa grabbing a wildcard slot is a reach.
Share 49ersWebzone