There are 80 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Dashon Goldson the best FS in the NFL?

Best safety or not, we need to resign him. The intimidation factor he brings is unique in today's league.
Originally posted by trogdor:
Best safety or not, we need to resign him. The intimidation factor he brings is unique in today's league.

This. Goldson has played himself beyond "expendable" in my book.
He's in the conversation, for sure...he's put two stellar seasons back-to-back, so would expect them to re-sign him. The only thing he needs to do is commit fewer penalties...especially the personal fouls. Officials aren't going to back off...agree there've been a few that were really bogus, but you have to adjust your play within the rules. You can still be aggressive, but have to watch the PF.
Top 5. Maybe top 3.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i do not know but i just thought i would say i take great pleasure when seattle fans described our safetys as "scumbag safeties". i was not insulted at all and took great delight. that phrase just kind of rolls out nicely you know
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
would it be appropriate or realistic to give him the tag two years in a row?
obviously.. what kind of question is this??
Originally posted by cciowa:
would it be appropriate or realistic to give him the tag two years in a row?

Nope, the Franchise tag for safeties would only go up slightly, maybe 200,000 or 300,000 dollars, so that's definitely an option, especially if he's still looking for a deal worth 8million a year. However, it would be the last year we could use it on him. Hopefully some of our younger guys, like Trenton Robinson, will be getting some good learning experience. Not sure if he'd be ready to go next year as I haven't heard much about him, but at safety we're really lacking depth. Something we should be able to shore up in the off season, whether through draft or FA.
As much as it pains me to say it, I think Earl Thomas is currently the best. Goldson is top-5 though.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
He's in the conversation, for sure...he's put two stellar seasons back-to-back, so would expect them to re-sign him. The only thing he needs to do is commit fewer penalties...especially the personal fouls. Officials aren't going to back off...agree there've been a few that were really bogus, but you have to adjust your play within the rules. You can still be aggressive, but have to watch the PF.

This. Once you get a rep for it you kind of attract the flags. Excellent contributor, though.
the BEST safety in the league. Always been a hard hitter, past couple years his coverage has been excellent. If he has one downfall its that he misses tackles from time to time by going for the huge hit. There are many things he does on the field that do not record on stat sheets. The intimidation factor cannot be measured.

VERY NEXT play

Originally posted by Niners23:
As much as it pains me to say it, I think Earl Thomas is currently the best. Goldson is top-5 though.

Lol Goldson doesn't get trucked by people that are 5'6"
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by Niners23:

Lol Goldson doesn't get trucked by people that are 5'6"

Unfortunately, I have to agree w/sincal. Goldson would make a better SS than Thomas, but Thomas is better with the ball in the air, and the ball is in the air a lot in the NFL. He is at least a willing tackler, if not a dominant one. We all think Whitner is a murderer out there (so does Pierre Thomas), but he looked stupid on Harris's TD run. Everyone has a bad tackle attempt on occasion.

Obviously, Weddle is better as well. Why else would a solid organization like the Chargers give him such a huge contract?
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
the BEST safety in the league. Always been a hard hitter, past couple years his coverage has been excellent. If he has one downfall its that he misses tackles from time to time by going for the huge hit. There are many things he does on the field that do not record on stat sheets. The intimidation factor cannot be measured.

VERY NEXT play

Yep.. Goldson hit the TE and drop the ball then scared for us.. that is why.. it is best the hit hard and keep beast defense! Go Pwillis and Goldson!!
man is def top 3. we cannot afford to let him go IMO.