LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Does anyone remember the annual College All Stars vs. the Super Bowl Champs game?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by Ether:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Yeah, I remember it.

It generally sucked. The last one I vaguely recall was against the Packers.

This.

I was there for the first all-star win, which was in 1937 for a squad that featured Sammy Baugh. In the 1940s the games were competitive affairs that attracted large crowds to Soldier Field. But as the talent level of pro football improved, the all-stars had diminishing success. The last all-star win came in 1963, when a team coached by legendary quarterback Otto Graham beat the Green Bay Packers 20-17. By the 1970s, crowds for the event were dwindling. In addition, NFL coaches were reluctant to part with their new draftees (who would miss part of training camp) for a meaningless exhibition in which the players might be injured. A players' strike forced the cancellation of the 1974 game.

God damn thats waayy back.

Leather helmets and steel cleats. HELL YEAH!
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Nov 1, 2012 at 11:33 PM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Yeah, I remember it.

This.

I was there for the first all-star win, which was in 1937 for a squad that featured Sammy Baugh. In the 1940s the games were competitive affairs that attracted large crowds to Soldier Field. But as the talent level of pro football improved, the all-stars had diminishing success. The last all-star win came in 1963, when a team coached by legendary quarterback Otto Graham beat the Green Bay Packers 20-17. By the 1970s, crowds for the event were dwindling. In addition, NFL coaches were reluctant to part with their new draftees (who would miss part of training camp) for a meaningless exhibition in which the players might be injured. A players' strike forced the cancellation of the 1974 game.
Glad to have you with us. I have been watching football since the late 60's and played in HS and College through the 70's. I have constantly explained to the youngsters in here how the rules have slowly changed to favor the passing game and offense over the last 40 years. Since you have seen games that there really isn't much film on you have knowledge of the game most of us have no access to. Since you see lots of 6-3 games in the 40's and 50's I am wondering what in your opinion kept the scores and offense down in that era?
i think it would be more fun if it was all stars vs the raiders...
so we could laugh at the raiders 1 more time
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Yeah, I remember it.

This.

God damn thats waayy back.

Leather helmets and steel cleats. HELL YEAH!

So Ether has to be at least 75, and that's if he was there as an infant. More like late 70's/early 80's if he was walking when he was there. I don't know anybody that age that posts on the internet like he does. Props to you, Ether. Glad to have you!
i always thought it would be awesome to have a "Black NFL Players vs White NFL Players" Pro Bowl. doesnt necessarily need to be a racial thing, but i think it would really be fun for crowds and players alike, and give this old-time, who-gives-an-eff event a long overdue kick in the pants. go Negros! go Whiteys!

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
So Ether has to be at least 75, and that's if he was there as an infant. More like late 70's/early 80's if he was walking when he was there. I don't know anybody that age that posts on the internet like he does. Props to you, Ether. Glad to have you!

the fastest growing demographic of internet users is old people
:)
[ Edited by SFforty-ouncers on Sep 11, 2013 at 6:19 PM ]
I liked it when they had nfl skills competitions quite a few years back....fastest player competition, qb competition, stuff like that...I hate the pro bowl now it's so not even prestigious...
San Francisco would obliterate Alabama
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
man I thought I was one the of the older dudes on here but some of ya'll are ancient.

Thanks whoever for bumping this thread and reminding me that sus name was "McLovinAlexSmith" for a while
Share 49ersWebzone