There are 72 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49er offense versus Falcon defense

• fryet
  • Veteran
I haven't followed the Falcons that closely, but I did watch part of the Denver/Falcon game. In that game, the Falcon defense had Peyton Manning very confused. They would put 9 guys on the line of scrimmage, and just before the snap, some would back up, and others would rush. It made it impossible for Manning to predict where the rush was coming from, and he played rather poorly.

I can see this tactic causing big problems for Alex Smith as well. Alex Smith is very good at reading the defense before snapping the ball, and if you take that away, I could see him struggling. So I was thinking, how would I attack the Falcon defense? And what I think JH would do is do a lot of line shifts, and overload a side of the defense. Force the defense to react to the offense instead of trying to play games at the LOS. If the defense ignores the line shift, then the 49ers will have a numerical advantage to usually run the ball, and I would expect their run game to be very effective. Add to it that if you have 9 guys near the LOS, the RB will frequently break a long run, since there is no safety deep to make the tackle.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this matchup? Would you attack them in a different way? Do you think my solution wouldn't work (i.e. I shouldn't quit my day job. (: )?
Originally posted by fryet:
I haven't followed the Falcons that closely, but I did watch part of the Denver/Falcon game. In that game, the Falcon defense had Peyton Manning very confused. They would put 9 guys on the line of scrimmage, and just before the snap, some would back up, and others would rush. It made it impossible for Manning to predict where the rush was coming from, and he played rather poorly.

I can see this tactic causing big problems for Alex Smith as well. Alex Smith is very good at reading the defense before snapping the ball, and if you take that away, I could see him struggling. So I was thinking, how would I attack the Falcon defense? And what I think JH would do is do a lot of line shifts, and overload a side of the defense. Force the defense to react to the offense instead of trying to play games at the LOS. If the defense ignores the line shift, then the 49ers will have a numerical advantage to usually run the ball, and I would expect their run game to be very effective. Add to it that if you have 9 guys near the LOS, the RB will frequently break a long run, since there is no safety deep to make the tackle.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this matchup? Would you attack them in a different way? Do you think my solution wouldn't work (i.e. I shouldn't quit my day job. (: )?
None of that matters if we run the ball effectively, and Falcons are 27th in rushing yards allowed and right next to the Bills as the 2nd worst team in the league with 5.4 yards allowed per carry. All signs point to the 49ers running all over the Falcons until they are black and blue. If they are able to sustain long drives with a lot of running, it will severely limit the Falcons' offense time of possession.

The Minnesota game still bothers me because that is how they beat us. We weren't able to stop the Vikings on short gains and these 3-5 yard gains. They kept getting 1st downs and running down the clock from the start. They won the time of possession and we turned the ball over. I think that Sopoaga was rusty since we pretty much sat him for the first two games against the Packers and Lions. When we went to our base defense for the Vikings, we didn't look very stout up the middle. Anyone who has coach's camera views have any further insight?
The Falcons look terrible on defense against the Raiders. If McFadden can make them look soft, imagine what the Niners will do to them. I hope the Raiders embarrass them at home. Unfortunately, the Raiders embarrass themselves with fumbles like that.
Mcfadden is a bust IMO
by bust I mean does just enough to stay afloat , then just sht's the bed. And for that much money? GTFO
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Mcfadden is a bust IMO

I think the problem is that the Raiders are so one-dimensional that they over depend on McFadden. Back when Alex was still finding himself, we used to run Gore on almost every play, or dump off passes to him. Reminds me of how the Raiders use McFadden.
Falcons are letting the raiders stay in this game with all of the chances and freebies.
Y
Falcons are letting the raiders stay in this game with all of the chances and freebies.

Yikes, the Raiders are making Michael Turner look like he did ten years ago. Man, Michael Turner looks like Queen Latifah in a helmet.

Mcfadden is a bust IMO

highly disagree. IMO the guy is a top 10 runningback and arguably top 5 talent wise.
Originally posted by denali22:
highly disagree. IMO the guy is a top 10 runningback and arguably top 5 talent wise.

if he was on our team, he could break 2000
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by denali22:

if he was on our team, he could break 2000

IF...and that is a big if, he could stay healthy.