There are 105 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Evolution of the No-Huddle

so i ran across this article on the patriots today, it gets into good detail about the no-huddle http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/10/08/patriots-huddle-relies-power-one/nHTapuVnBOwfFlffwTrN6J/story.html
basically, now the patriots have a system of one-word play calls that tell everyone what they need to do. formation, blocking scheme, shifts, snap count, alerts - everything for a play in one word. belichick learned it from chip kelly who has mastered it in college. faster than any no-huddle offense we've ever seen in the pros.

there is also a section discussing how everyone has used one-word play calls in the past such as "CLOCK" the universal call to spike the ball. when CLOCK is called, everyone knows where they should be lined up. so the patriots take it a step further

But that was the extent of the Patriots' quick verbiage with shortened play calls.

Why didn't anyone think of taking the next step to extend those calls to an entire offense?

Well, Hall of Fame coach Bill Walsh did. In his seminal out-of-print book Finding the Winning Edge published in 1998 — Belichick has called it the coaching bible — Walsh had a section on page 308 titled, "Determining the Future Dynamics of Offense in the NFL."

First bullet point: "Teams will huddle only when the clock is stopped."

Second: "Teams will use single-word offensive audibles."

Bill Walsh - still the master
Hype. Jim Kelly and the Bills turned the no-huddle offense into an art form back in the late 80s.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Hype. Jim Kelly and the Bills turned the no-huddle offense into an art form back in the late 80s.

An art that lead to lots of superbowl wins losses
Originally posted by 99problems:
Originally posted by fastforward:

An art that lead to lots of superbowl wins losses

4 consecutive SB appearances, with one loss due entirely to bad luck (the Giants have always had good luck charms in the SB or NFCCG.) Extremely successful in my book for a team with at times questionable defenses.

But my point wasn't about the Bills (or Bill Walsh's book - I own a signed copy .) It was about the hype about the Patriots' version of it.
Thanks for the link. I gotta go read more about Chip Kellys practices now. Thats pretty wild that they don't have to do wind sprints because they never stand around and that they use 25 guys on defense to make the offense more precise. Nick Saban recently commented on the no huddle and his comments were pretty telling. He talks about players safety, but I think he just views it as unfair. Defenses just can't substitute players and get set.
I thought it was Marv Levy who claimed Cincinnati ran an illegal no-huddle offense in 1988 when they played in the playoffs....and then right after the Bills started getting more into the no-huddle.
I stated a thread in the Niners forum regarding our total lack of a no huddle package. If anything just to have to squeeze in a FG before half, or set up a game winning FG. We don't have anything resembling this. It's situational football, pure and simple. Then responses I got was "that's not who we are." I'm talking about a package of 8-10 plays, well practiced. Maybe a draw, a screen, a few angled routes towards the sidelines. Simple, Efficient, and well executed.

Why don't we have it? Like we are never going to run into a game were we might, just might NEED it.
We should have used it against the Giants.