LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

***IF*** Santonio Holmes is released by the Jets where should he land?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • sfout
  • Veteran
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000068983/article/santonio-holmes-will-be-too-expensive-too-release?module=HP11_headline_stack

I thought it would be fun to get some opinions on Holmes and his prospects after this season. IMHO his prime has been wasted due to Sanchez's incredibly bad QB play and the inept OC work of Schottenheimer. Should the Jets cut Holmes at the end of the season or any point in-between now and then would / should we sign him? And if its not us what team would be a good fit for him?

Pittsburgh sent him backing because of multiple marijuana arrests and a suspect attitude, Rex Ryan got trashed for naming him a team captain but at the end of the day he is still a very talented receiver. Reason why I even mention us is, correct me if I'm wrong, that Holmes hasn't been in trouble with the law for a long time and we've seen how Harbaugh has fostered a team first attitude. He even brought a notorious diva in Randy Moss to mentor a fledging diva in Crabtree and the other WRs and for a variety of factors we've completely erased any traces of diva attitude and kept trouble making to a minimum or made it completely non-existant through the whole team.

That being said would the Risk / Reward scale tip far enough to the reward side for us to sign him? Otherwise who do you think might bite and sign him if he is released because as it stands there is no way NY keeps him at his current rate of $11M coming back from such a serious injury.
[ Edited by sfout on Oct 3, 2012 at 1:54 PM ]
I wouldn't want him and I doubt Baalke / Harbaugh would do it.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Same here but I am just wondering how quickly things could change for him. The article says he is or may be too expensive to cut but im wondering if the owner might axe both rex and tannenbaum this offseason if the team completely collapses with out Revis or Holmes. Then maybe the replacements might want a clean slate, a la Reggie McKenzie in Oakland, who is shelling out bad players or expensive contracts like they have the plague.
[ Edited by sfout on Oct 3, 2012 at 1:54 PM ]
He will be a patriot
We have too many WR's
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
We have too many WR's

Not next year, this year both Ginn and Moss are FA. Manningham and Williams FA the year after, Crabtree's deal is voidable after 2013, Jenkins is the only WR with a deal that lasts beyond 2013, Crabtree's counts but the we could opt to void the deal.

Even if he doesn't fit in here I was curious where you might think he should go if the Jets kick him to the curb.
F**k Holmes & F**k the Jets!

Do not want. But don't want him to land in NFC west either. Bengals or Raiders would be a happy spot for him to land for me.
[ Edited by AUniner on Oct 3, 2012 at 6:19 PM ]
straight back to the Steelers for league minimum.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
straight back to the Steelers for league minimum.

lol would be funny if that happened.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
We have too many WR's

Not next year, this year both Ginn and Moss are FA. Manningham and Williams FA the year after, Crabtree's deal is voidable after 2013, Jenkins is the only WR with a deal that lasts beyond 2013, Crabtree's counts but the we could opt to void the deal.

Even if he doesn't fit in here I was curious where you might think he should go if the Jets kick him to the curb.

Crabtree's deal may not void, he needs to meet certain workout levels to void 2014 season, apparently his yearly $500k roster bonuses are gone, so maybe it has voided, but from my knowledge it hasn't. When signed his deal was really a 6 yr deal because he signed after 4 missed games.

As for Holmes, I like his game, always was a fan since his Pittsburgh days. But I wonder how much he would command if cut. 2013 looks iffy, we need to create a ton of cap space just to retain any of our FAs and sign draft picks. I hate to be Marathe in 2013, and deal with that mess. But it's everyone that will deal with it, luckly we aren't the Jets, Steelers, who are 10M over right now. Steelers will be purging there roster after this year even more than this offseason.

Pittsburgh would be his best shot at redemption. They did it with El Randle Antwaan El Randel EL
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Pittsburgh would be his best shot at redemption. They did it with El Randle Antwaan El Randel EL

Lol
Raiders
Can't see us splashing out on free agents. Plus we have a hatful of draft picks. I would like Holmes but not going to happen.
Jacksonville
Share 49ersWebzone