LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Parys Haralson

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Haralson played admirably last season for us as a starter on the league's finest defense. He wasn't the force of a pass rusher that you would hope for your OLB to be but he was a fine player nonetheless as he did the other things such as setting the edge tackling and run support. I agree we should not trash such a valuable contributor but I trust the front office will do their best to bandaid the situation. If he is let go I am sure it would be purely a move for the betterment of this team. I believe in cheering my 49ers and not booing them when they work so hard for us.

That's the same thing people said about manny Lawson. The only difference is I actually saw it from manny and didn't see it from parys. But what do I know I'm not in the FO and also I was a manny guy so I might be a little bias.
[ Edited by mike9er on Sep 3, 2012 at 2:05 AM ]
All I know is this guy played nearly 2/3rds of the defensive snaps on the NFLs top defense last year........how bad could he suck....... Sure the FO drafted two OLBs, but they didn't use high draft picks and we were extremly thin at the position with Haralson.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Its laughable how many people think Haralson is making too much money and he is the top backup at two of the most important positions on the defense

What has Haralson done lately to make him ok at $2.45M this season.

2009 when he got his new deal he got 5 sacks, 2010 4 and 2011 2, prior in 2008 he had 8, he dropped off every year.

I don't see how he is great run stopper, he doesn't have high tackle numbers. is His best season tackle wise was 2009 with 45 tackles, he has had 4 tackles(06), 42(07), 39(08), 45(09), 42(2010) and 30(2011). That isn't great production for a player making over 2.5M a year.

He is just like what happened with Shawntae Spencer, got a big deal, then went to s**t. Sopoaga did it too, till he finally woke up and played great last year.

People flip flop over salary issues. 1 day it's need to save, then money isn't an issue, when it is. Less than 900K right now under the cap, and doesn't look good in 2013, 3.3M under. Can't even sign draft class with 3.3M, and then retain any of the free agents, Moss, Jacobs, Sopoaga, Goldson, Walker, RJF.

Fans are in for a rude awakening in 2013, we kept all 11 starters plus Aldon, but in 2013, Goldson and Sopoaga could be sent packing. Every team is going through this with the flat cap issue.
I agree.....we need to win the SB this year!!! Next year some top talent will need to be let go or some major contract restructuring needs to happen. Smith out and Kap in for QB is a possibility if Kap is ready, as I believe Smith's payday goes WAY up in after this season? Goldson is likely gone too.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
All I know is this guy played nearly 2/3rds of the defensive snaps on the NFLs top defense last year........how bad could he suck....... Sure the FO drafted two OLBs, but they didn't use high draft picks and we were extremly thin at the position with Haralson.

Thank you....he sure has proved his worth and has shown that he does not "suck" The FO saw something in him and decided to keep him instead of Manny Lawson.

Love all the un informed "Niner" fans here....Im with African on this...
do any of you fairweather fans even watch 9er games? Haralson is a very important piece to this defense.
Originally posted by KennyBoiiii:
do any of you fairweather fans even watch 9er games? Haralson is a very important piece to this defense.

That is being replaced by aldon.

I think it is a huge reach to call Haralson a "very important piece to this defense". Here's my list of "very important" pieces:

1) P. Willy
2) J. Smith
3) A. Smith
4) N. Bowman
5) C. Rogers

Boarderline "very important" pieces are Whitner, Sopoaga, and Goldson.

After that there are important players but ones that could be replaced without a drop off. I would put McDonald, Haralson and Brown in that group.
Originally posted by taney71:

I think it is a huge reach to call Haralson a "very important piece to this defense". Here's my list of "very important" pieces:

1) P. Willy
2) J. Smith
3) A. Smith
4) N. Bowman
5) C. Rogers

Boarderline "very important" pieces are Whitner, Sopoaga, and Goldson.

After that there are important players but ones that could be replaced without a drop off. I would put McDonald, Haralson and Brown in that group.

He is very important, given our lack of OLB wouldn't you say?
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
He is very important, given our lack of OLB wouldn't you say?

Well, since I'm defining "very important" more as what players "make" the 49ers defense what is it I would say no. I doubt there will be much play drop off if we get a good OLB through FA to replace Haralson. I couldn't say the same if we did that for Brooks and Smith.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Its laughable how many people think Haralson is making too much money and he is the top backup at two of the most important positions on the defense

2009 when he got his new deal he got 5 sacks, 2010 4 and 2011 2, prior in 2008 he had 8, he dropped off every year.

I don't see how he is great run stopper, he doesn't have high tackle numbers. is His best season tackle wise was 2009 with 45 tackles, he has had 4 tackles(06), 42(07), 39(08), 45(09), 42(2010) and 30(2011). That isn't great production for a player making over 2.5M a year.

He is just like what happened with Shawntae Spencer, got a big deal, then went to s**t. Sopoaga did it too, till he finally woke up and played great last year.

People flip flop over salary issues. 1 day it's need to save, then money isn't an issue, when it is. Less than 900K right now under the cap, and doesn't look good in 2013, 3.3M under. Can't even sign draft class with 3.3M, and then retain any of the free agents, Moss, Jacobs, Sopoaga, Goldson, Walker, RJF.

Fans are in for a rude awakening in 2013, we kept all 11 starters plus Aldon, but in 2013, Goldson and Sopoaga could be sent packing. Evert?y team is going through this with the flat cap issue.
Haralson's stats were down last year because he played fewer downs than the year before. His sacks were lower because he didn't play on passing downs. To term his worth as "s**t" is bulls**t. Perhaps, AB, you are basing your value of PH solely on his contract. Ultimately, his contract is irrelevant to his value on the field. Last year when PH was on the field on first and second down, he displayed his particular skill and the defense was extremely good against the run, forcing teams to pass on third down when Aldon could apply his particular skill. His tackle stats might be lower because his job is to force the run inside where Willis and Bowman are set.

The Niners have had at least four OLBs in camp. Parys beat out two prior free agents Bakhtiari and Alama-Francis. "S**t?

Fans are in for a rude awakening in 2013, we kept all 11 starters plus Aldon, but in 2013, Goldson and Sopoaga could be sent packing. Every team is going through this with the flat cap issue.

AB, does our cap situation look different for 2013, after the cutdowns to 53 and the loss of all those 2nd UDFA contracts?
If I had to rank most important players on the D, my list would look like this:

1) Aldon Smith

2) Willis

3) Justin Smith

4 & 5) Rogers/Brooks - Toss up for me.

Everyone else is very good, but we would probably see little drop off without them. In some sense, Haralson is probably the most important non-elite player in that he's like a very solid swing tackle for the defense.
AB--Haralson's sack total went down last year because Aldon was taking away many opportunities.

We don't know how Aldon will hold up playing every down and it does worry me that we need to replace a main back up at this stage of the season. Hope the scheme is the main reason for the D being so dominant, but no one ran on this team's defense last year--will they be as deadly without Haralson? Hope so!

Edit--Darn it Hofer! You beat me to it!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 3, 2012 at 8:51 AM ]
Maiocco just said on twitter "49ers have warned everyone not to talk about him"

I wonder how Harbaugh threatens the media....
[ Edited by global_nomad on Sep 3, 2012 at 8:52 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
AB--Haralson's sack total went down last year because Aldon was taking away many opportunities.

We don't know how Aldon will hold up playing every down and it does worry me that we need to replace a main back up at this stage of the season. Hope the scheme is the main reason for the D being so dominant, but no one ran on this team's defense last year--will they be as deadly without Haralson? Hope so!

Edit--Darn it Hofer! You beat me to it!

If I had my way Harlason would start the season and have Smith as the backup. However, I trust the coaches on this one and hopefully Smith doesn't have a soph. slump.
Share 49ersWebzone