LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 224 users in the forums

Tramaine Brock Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I like Culliver, but it's going to take him a bit to come back to his prior form. That's why I've got him as the nickel back next year.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Nov 23, 2013 at 10:57 AM ]
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I dont understand why everyone assumes wright will be here next season, let alone pull the starter gig. I know he has talent, but he is on a one year deal, and hasnt contributed anything this season.

Culliver on the other hand was a bright young star on the rise pre injury. The staff, including Baalkie really like him, and the sky is the limit for him really.

kinda like assuming culliver will return to pre-injury form right? thats what we do here, assume and predict.

You do understand that there is this thing called modern medicine that has come along way right?

Assuming culliver will return from injury is much less of an assumption than bringing back a guy that isaint even under contract, hasnt contributed a thing to the team, and is one or two mistakes away from being out of the league, and making him a starter.

ask kyle williams and derrick rose about modern medicine, they both just hurt their knees for a second time. if you're going to assume culliver is going to come back pre-injury form, then whats wrong with assuming a db who isnt a hot FA item will return to the team? i realize wright hasnt been here long but his resume is deeper than cullivers. the guys who think he can start here are saying that based off of his career trend.

LOL comparing KW to culliver. It takes away your credibility.

Culliver was BALLING pre injury. He was a staff and FO favorite, and he was IMO the best CB on the roster.

Ill go out on a limb here and say i find it highly unlikely he is even resigned. I may be wrong, it happens often enough, but Culliver is likely the most talented CB on the roster next season, and even if Wright comes back, he is not more talented than Culliver, and his upside isaint nearly as high. No one wanted wright. If cully was a FA tomorrow, there would be teams breaking down his door to sign him, even with the injury. That should tell you what you need to know.
I dont understand why everyone assumes wright will be here next season, let alone pull the starter gig. I know he has talent, but he is on a one year deal, and hasnt contributed anything this season.

Culliver on the other hand was a bright young star on the rise pre injury. The staff, including Baalkie really like him, and the sky is the limit for him really.

kinda like assuming culliver will return to pre-injury form right? thats what we do here, assume and predict.

You do understand that there is this thing called modern medicine that has come along way right?

Assuming culliver will return from injury is much less of an assumption than bringing back a guy that isaint even under contract, hasnt contributed a thing to the team, and is one or two mistakes away from being out of the league, and making him a starter.

ask kyle williams and derrick rose about modern medicine, they both just hurt their knees for a second time. if you're going to assume culliver is going to come back pre-injury form, then whats wrong with assuming a db who isnt a hot FA item will return to the team? i realize wright hasnt been here long but his resume is deeper than cullivers. the guys who think he can start here are saying that based off of his career trend.

Culliver was BALLING pre injury. He was a staff and FO favorite, and he was IMO the best CB on the roster.

Ill go out on a limb here and say i find it highly unlikely he is even resigned. I may be wrong, it happens often enough, but Culliver is likely the most talented CB on the roster next season, and even if Wright comes back, he is not more talented than Culliver, and his upside isaint nearly as high. No one wanted wright. If cully was a FA tomorrow, there would be teams breaking down his door to sign him, even with the injury. That should tell you what you need to know.

comparing guys with knee injuries? yeah i'll do that. only nimrods will make the leap to think i'm talking actual talent level. for every adrian peterson, theres a kyle williams, or thomas davis of yester year. its no sure bet. i like cully, but the BALLING thing might be a bit much, after all this is the guy who lambasted for his super bowl performance. he still has bad ball skills too. personally i dont care who starts and who doesnt, #3 cb's play a lot anyways. and someone did want wright, his name is baalke, he wanted him three times actually. he was interested in him when he was a FA a couple of years ago, he then traded for him and after it got voided went out and signed him. to me this isnt a cully v wright thing, its just a statement that if you're going to assume cully returns to form, thats fine i hope he does to. but dont try to say others cant assume wright is back, cus when you read between the lines it seems more likely he'd be back than wouldnt at this point.
[ Edited by crabman82 on Nov 23, 2013 at 10:49 AM ]

comparing guys with knee injuries? yeah i'll do that. only nimrods will make the leap to think i'm talking actual talent level. for every adrian peterson, theres a kyle williams, or thomas davis of yester year. its no sure bet. i like cully, but the BALLING thing might be a bit much, after all this is the guy who lambasted for his super bowl performance. he still has bad ball skills too. personally i dont care who starts and who doesnt, #3 cb's play a lot anyways. and someone did want wright, his name is baalke, he wanted him three times actually. he was interested in him when he was a FA a couple of years ago, he then traded for him and after it got voided went out and signed him. to me this isnt a cully v wright thing, its just a statement that if you're going to assume cully returns to form, thats fine i hope he does to. but dont try to say others cant assume wright is back, cus when you read between the lines it seems more likely he'd be back than wouldnt at this point.

My point was, KW wasnt great before the injury, and he wasnt great after....Thats not the same as not returning to pre injury form. Thats not having the talent to make it. There is a huge difference. KW came back fine from the injury. You cant blame KW's career on an injury. The comparison is about as weak a comparison as i have ever seen.

I never said anyone couldn't assume anything. I said i dont understand the assumption. And its not a single assumption, its a lot of assumptions.

And yes, cully was balling. He had one or two bad plays in the SB, and yes he felt the webzoes wraith, but if i am not mistaken, he was statistically our best CB last season. Maybe Phoenix or someone can help me out with those numbers.

You seem to be in a bit of a hysterical and defensive mood today. Calm down, take a deep breath, and try to not start your post with an insult.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Lol....Didn't everybody in the zone wanted to get rid of this guy in the offseason? Especially after he gave up that game saving catch to Manningham in the 2011 NFCC game? It's AMAZING how good play can easily erased some painful memories in some people's head. Well, good signing anyway. Hopefully, Wright plays lights out and sign a cheap deal with us.

its not even that.... alot of folks just wanted to get rid of him because they never see or hear him "making a play"...if you are a CB and your name is not mentioned or you are not on the TV screen getting burnt, THEN THAT'S A GOOD THING!

but some on the Zone just remember old s**t and run with it to the wheels fall off.....want to just get rid of players and try new ones, as if this were their fantasy team.

same s**t with Dixon for the longest time...

"oh he dances too much" -THAT WAS 3 YEARS Ago.
"Oh lets get rid of him because of his tweets and try Lattimore" - As if pass protection and special teams is plug and play.

let's get rid of Brock because he doesn't do s**t and that Giants game....oh Nnamdi used to be an AllPro... s**t on Brock, praise Nnamdi.

oh Nnambi is hurt, Brock steps up and gets INTS.... NNAMDI SUCKS GET RID OF HIM!! (even though there is a chance we might need Nnamdi, in case of an injury down the road.)

Webzoners want Players to be loyal...give home discounts on their contracts, give autographs and take pics in public..etc... But are quick to s**t on these players with the slightest change of the wind.

This
My point was, KW wasnt great before the injury, and he wasnt great after....Thats not the same as not returning to pre injury form. Thats not having the talent to make it. There is a huge difference. KW came back fine from the injury. You cant blame KW's career on an injury. The comparison is about as weak a comparison as i have ever seen.

I never said anyone couldn't assume anything. I said i dont understand the assumption. And its not a single assumption, its a lot of assumptions.

And yes, cully was balling. He had one or two bad plays in the SB, and yes he felt the webzoes wraith, but if i am not mistaken, he was statistically our best CB last season. Maybe Phoenix or someone can help me out with those numbers.

You seem to be in a bit of a hysterical and defensive mood today. Calm down, take a deep breath, and try to not start your post with an insult.

i used KW as an example of a player tearing up their knee, coming back and doing it again, it was recent and had some 49er ties to it, it was an easy one to pull thats why i used it. had nothing to do KW's talent, career path or future outlook on his personal career. i like cully but i pump the brakes on players returning from serious injury when it comes to depending on them the next season, if you have a different general outlook in that regard, thats cool. as far as insults go, yeah they can be done without but your previous post started with "LOL comparing KW to culliver. It takes away your credibility." you were trying a little to incite something in a subtle way. simply could have said you didnt think those 2 situations were good examples or something else. anyways nice chat, have a good one, cheers

i used KW as an example of a player tearing up their knee, coming back and doing it again, it was recent and had some 49er ties to it, it was an easy one to pull thats why i used it. had nothing to do KW's talent, career path or future outlook on his personal career. i like cully but i pump the brakes on players returning from serious injury when it comes to depending on them the next season, if you have a different general outlook in that regard, thats cool. as far as insults go, yeah they can be done without but your previous post started with "LOL comparing KW to culliver. It takes away your credibility." you were trying a little to incite something in a subtle way. simply could have said you didnt think those 2 situations were good examples or something else. anyways nice chat, have a good one, cheers

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by mug0mug:
Originally posted by Disp:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by mayo49:
He'll be the third corner.

Or the starter. He was the 49ers best performing CB in the regular season last year.

Yeah Culliver will be the #1 or #2 next year, depending on if Brown gets signed. If the season ended today I think Brock would be ahead of Culliver because of the injury and Brock's play. Brock and Culliver on the outside with Wright or Morris as the nickel back makes me a little bit hord.

Culliver is the nickel corner. It takes a particular ability. In some ways it's actually the most difficult corner spot even though it's commonly looked at as the "#3."

I'd hope we have Brown and Brock on the oustide and Cully @ nickel.

And that's not a knock on Cully. It's a luxury most teams can't afford to have a stud (or potential stud) at nickel, but I'd be pretty comfortable with Culliver on the outside as well. I think he has some of the best timing attacking incoming footballs in the league, but I really like him at nickel corner.
Actually Culliver never played Nickel. When we went to a Nickel D, Culliver lined up outside in Rogers spot and Rogers moved inside to the slot.

For real...I was going to as Mug if he had watched team play in 2011 or 2012. Culliver never played inside -- always outside was typically matched up against the better receivers from most teams in nickel situations.

Rogers always went inside to play the slot during nickel packages.

IMHO our plan going forward, especially the tidbit of info that Brown had a similar offer to Brock's on the table is to go into the offseason like this.

1. Let Brown test FA - bring him back if he doesn't find what he wants
2. Ask Rogers to take a pay cut or be released - MM said we did it this past season but then Cully tore his ACL and we kept Rogers.
3. We wouldn't sign trade for Wright, then re-sign him after a failed physical if we didn't see something viable in him for long term plans. This comes after 1-2 years of us showing interested in him in FA. So I bet we re-sign him to moderate 2-3 year deal. Have him compete against Brock and Culliver to sort out the top 3 order. But this of course hinges on his performance while Brown is injured.
4. Draft a CB in round circa round 3 to solidify the group and compete against Daryl Morris for the #4 spot and see if we have a reason to have 5 CBs active on game days.

Culliver
Brock
Wright
Morris
Draft pick(s)
[ Edited by sfout on Nov 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

Mostly because he'll be cheap to re-sign. No harm in bringing him back for depth at worst.
Originally posted by Hopper:

Mostly because he'll be cheap to re-sign. No harm in bringing him back for depth at worst.

Oh i agree, it wouldnt hurt, and im not opposed to it in the slightest, but i dont think the FO really expected this turn around from Brock. I think they hoped for it, but not really expected it. Brock throws a wrench into the gears so to speak. His emergence this season has effected and will effect every CB on the roster going forward, Brown, Rogers Wright, everyone.

We will almost certainly sign wright bc he wants to be here and is a good player we can resign for cheap. His career went on a downturn so he is a bargain compared to the 7 mil Ayer he was signed for recently. Our starters will be Brock wright and culliver. Rogers may not be back and even if he is wright may be better at covering shiftier Wrs in the slot bc he has a lot more speed and quickness so Rogers may be anywhere from 2nd to 4th on the depth chart. Almost certainly guaranteed brown is gone be of his asking price. I liked him a lot. Great in coverage and shows up in the playoffs. Look at how well he did the past two years. Not giving up a td all last year? In the playoffs just 1 to Julio jones with a little offensive pi. We basically signed Brock over brown. That's a done deal.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Lol....Didn't everybody in the zone wanted to get rid of this guy in the offseason? Especially after he gave up that game saving catch to Manningham in the 2011 NFCC game? It's AMAZING how good play can easily erased some painful memories in some people's head. Well, good signing anyway. Hopefully, Wright plays lights out and sign a cheap deal with us.

its not even that.... alot of folks just wanted to get rid of him because they never see or hear him "making a play"...if you are a CB and your name is not mentioned or you are not on the TV screen getting burnt, THEN THAT'S A GOOD THING!

but some on the Zone just remember old s**t and run with it to the wheels fall off.....want to just get rid of players and try new ones, as if this were their fantasy team.

same s**t with Dixon for the longest time...

"oh he dances too much" -THAT WAS 3 YEARS Ago.
"Oh lets get rid of him because of his tweets and try Lattimore" - As if pass protection and special teams is plug and play.

let's get rid of Brock because he doesn't do s**t and that Giants game....oh Nnamdi used to be an AllPro... s**t on Brock, praise Nnamdi.

oh Nnambi is hurt, Brock steps up and gets INTS.... NNAMDI SUCKS GET RID OF HIM!! (even though there is a chance we might need Nnamdi, in case of an injury down the road.)

Webzoners want Players to be loyal...give home discounts on their contracts, give autographs and take pics in public..etc... But are quick to s**t on these players with the slightest change of the wind.

Nah, I just never thought Brock was any good, figured he was a layover from the Singletary-era. This year, he has shown skills though. I just hope it isn't a mirage.
He had an awesome college nickname "Belhaven Blanket".
Brock has earned the raise.
Yeah if he plays well enough I think Wright would be back for 1-2 years at like 1-1.5 million a year. He wants to play here since he's from SF and a 49ers fan. At worst he will be our #4 CB and Morris will probably be #5 and active for ST. Culliver and Brock will battle for 1 and loser will be 2. 3 I think is going to be potentially a 1st round pick or Wright and loser would be the #4.
Share 49ersWebzone