LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 203 users in the forums

Tramaine Brock Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
I'd like to see that.
Brown isnt coming back, unless he takes a huge discount. We wont give in, and give him 8M a yr, we got burned with past CBs, Clements, and Rogers bad deals.
Culli, Brock, P.Cox, 2014 Rookie, Stop Gap Vet?
Originally posted by 24plus25er:

Just wish we didn't cut Cooper this year. Maybe Morris makes it as a #5 or 6. No guarantee Brock or Cox re-sign although Cox is restricted I believe. I'd draft a CB in the 1st and 3rd if Brown and Rogers are gone. Even if Rogers is back still might do 1st and 3rd but 1 still high for sure. Maybe Wright comes back and is our vet next year. The secondary is doing well but I don't think we can afford to keep Brown and Whitner. Will look a lot different next year IMO.

P.S. This probably could have went in the Tramaine Brock Thread.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/167086-tramaine-brock-thread/page18/
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 10, 2013 at 7:21 PM ]
Brock will face much more difficult challenges and tests in the upcoming season but from what I've seen so far, he has developed into a very good CB and has great instinct and skill. Fast, good coverage, ball awareness, physical, jumps routes efficiently, reads the QB well. All good traits to have. Definitely optimistic about his play for the rest of the year. If he keeps it up, I hope we can resign him and lock him up.

That would leave us with Brock, Cully, Cox, Morris, and possibly Carlos if he's willing to restructure (unlikely). Brown and Nnamdi will be gone next year. And who knows how Wright will turn out. I see us drafting two CBs early next year.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Oct 10, 2013 at 7:21 PM ]
One thing I like about Brock is also something that could burn us. Out of all our CBS, even going back at least 5-10 years, I can't remember one of our CBS breaking on balls for ints like Brock. This is why our CBS are good at covering, especially brown but not at breaking on balls. Since we don't run a cover 2 look, most times if a cb breaks on a ball and guesses wrong, it could go for a td.

I like this mentality a lot lets just hope qbs don't pump fake a butt ton on him bc he may get burned. Nnamdi was definitely doing a solid job as our number 3 cb and wright is pretty good in coverage. So we will have great depth this year and hopefully we can resign brown and cully will be our starters with wright or Brock as nickel and dime. Odds are Rogers is out but I think wright could definitely play slot.
Originally posted by elguapo:
One thing I like about Brock is also something that could burn us. Out of all our CBS, even going back at least 5-10 years, I can't remember one of our CBS breaking on balls for ints like Brock. This is why our CBS are good at covering, especially brown but not at breaking on balls. Since we don't run a cover 2 look, most times if a cb breaks on a ball and guesses wrong, it could go for a td.

I like this mentality a lot lets just hope qbs don't pump fake a butt ton on him bc he may get burned. Nnamdi was definitely doing a solid job as our number 3 cb and wright is pretty good in coverage. So we will have great depth this year and hopefully we can resign brown and cully will be our starters with wright or Brock as nickel and dime. Odds are Rogers is out but I think wright could definitely play slot.

Just thinking the same thing. After re-watching that Pick 6, if Schuab pump fakes, it's a long gain or TD on the WR Brock was covering. I hope the Cards aren't smart enough to try that knowing that Brock is looking for another INT to set the tone in the game.
Sure - why not test him. The way he's been playing they'll probably have him on Fitz anyway.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:

I'm cool with this. If Wright plays well, he is the vet. With potential, he could be a long term answer, I hope so anyway.
Originally posted by BigTrez:
Last week Brock was matched up a lot with Johnson, I don't know if this was scheme or based on formations. But from my seats it looked like Schaub almost tried to pick on Brock, but Brock was stuck to him big time, no separation. We all know the results. Brock isn't big, but very physical and fast. We have several corners when everyone is healthy (Culliver and Nnamdi), but a few guys we are losing for sure next year. How do you guys feel about seeing what Brock really has this week. I mean sticking him on Fitz for majority of the game and see how he responds, Brock has been balling this yr, not just last game but before he got hurt as well. Let's see if our corners of the future are Brock, Brown and Culliver. Thoughts?

I would be shocked if Fitz wasn't schemed more than singled up. Brock may line up opposite of him, but he will have some help from his friends I believe.
[ Edited by Bluesbro on Oct 11, 2013 at 11:19 AM ]

Wait until we play Bree's or a good qb in the playoffs then we can't gamble like that unless we have safety help and even then it's a risk for a longer gain. People have to think before getting exited and see the big picture

Here is the coaches film for both of his INTs and his near INT later in the game on the deep pass that he was offensively pass interfered on.

I don't understand why Brock's picks are being downplayed because it was Schaub... as if Brock just turned around and the ball fell into his lap because Schaub is that bad. On both of his picks he had to make a break on the ball and he alone prevented a sure reception. Great coaching by Donatell to help Brock recognize Schaub's tendencies but it doesn't happen on the field unless the player has the ability to make it happen.
Back in 2010 and 11 I broke down pre-season games and one of the reasons I liked him from the get go is because of his change of direction and ability to break on the ball. His main thing is his play is kind of up and down. I think a majority of his bad rap comes from the 3rd and 15 that lead to a TD for Manningham in the NFCCG. I just hope he can stay consistent when he starts to play better QB's. It's only been 2 games against struggling QB's. There is a long ways to go for him to prove he is a legit #2 or 3. I'm happy our secondary stepped up unlike our WR corp. Whitner, Reid, Brock, Rogers, Brown are all playing well. Cox is playing solid and I don't think Nnamdi is playing as bad as everyone says. #2 pass defense and that's without Culliver and with Goldson leaving.

Side note another player I saw great hip bend and flexibility and the ability to close on the route quick was Phillip Adams. Adams was a little quicker on the break and a little more flexible but Brock is a lot thicker and more physical. Adams is still holding on as a #4 I believe for the Raiders and is doing well for a 7th round pick out of South Carolina State University.

Scott Kegley interview for 49ers.com
http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/Weekly-Conversation-CB-Tramaine-Brock-/54a00041-7c6c-4a46-b7e4-5ed65924d349
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 11, 2013 at 11:24 PM ]
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:

Here is the coaches film for both of his INTs and his near INT later in the game on the deep pass that he was offensively pass interfered on.

I don't understand why Brock's picks are being downplayed because it was Schaub... as if Brock just turned around and the ball fell into his lap because Schaub is that bad. On both of his picks he had to make a break on the ball and he alone prevented a sure reception. Great coaching by Donatell to help Brock recognize Schaub's tendencies but it doesn't happen on the field unless the player has the ability to make it happen.

Funny. I was watching this video and thinking to myself that the key to the 1st Int was the communication between Carlos and Tramaine. THAT is what made that play. They were in total agreement about who would cover what route and were totally in sync. As you can see, Tramaine had total confidence that he could break on the low route because he knew that Carlos would pick up the high one. You could see them in communication pre-snap. Rogers was just as important to that pick 6 as Brock was.

A few minutes later I happened to read an article in which Carlos talking about the importance of communication in the secondary. The article mentioned a DISagreement in coverage assignment between Brock and Rogers in the St. Louis game which resulted in a positive play for the Rams. It talked about the difficulty in getting communication on track when it comes to younger DBs.

From the article, "That' a process of football, communicating being on the same page," Rogers said. "As you saw last week, that wasn't a (trap) we called in practice – that was on the fly."

I remember many years ago someone asked Aneas Williams why he was so successful at getting picks. His answer was "Know where you help is." That's something that always stuck with me and something I always look for when watching secondary play.
i didnt know there was a nfc player of the week .
Share 49ersWebzone