There are 244 users in the forums

Sources: Maurice Jones-Drew open to trade!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Paul
  • Veteran
has to be New England
He will be resigned. He is about the only reason people still show up for games in Jacksonville.
This is a new owner showing you cannot bully him around. Good for him. Jones will have to report or not get paid. Jags said no raise, no trade basically. You have no options. He has already been paid 21 million on this contract. He is getting fined $30,000 a day right now and so far he has lost almost $800,000. Sooner or later he better realize he is losing serious coin.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
BRING HIM HOME JED

didnt take long at all.
and btw i think he's a raider fan at heart.
This is why I love Justin Smith. He is the lowest paid 3-4 DE when you look at productivity. Other guys are making way more than him. Do you see Justing Smith crying in his milk over his contract, no, he signed it and honors it.

Justing Smith at 7 million a year is way more valuable to the niners than MJD at 5 million.

What really frustrates me is these agents push for front loaded contracts, the team has the leverage in the end years of a front loaded deal. The owner should not sweat MJD not showing up. He is a RB, they are easy to replace in the NFL. IF MJD does not show up he cannot play for another team or collect his check. MJD has zero leverage.
Originally posted by 9erred:
This is why I love Justin Smith. He is the lowest paid 3-4 DE when you look at productivity. Other guys are making way more than him. Do you see Justing Smith crying in his milk over his contract, no, he signed it and honors it.

Justing Smith at 7 million a year is way more valuable to the niners than MJD at 5 million.

What really frustrates me is these agents push for front loaded contracts, the team has the leverage in the end years of a front loaded deal. The owner should not sweat MJD not showing up. He is a RB, they are easy to replace in the NFL. IF MJD does not show up he cannot play for another team or collect his check. MJD has zero leverage.

im sorry but i dont think replacing the LG leading rusher is easy to do.
But they arent going anywhere no time soon and he only has a few good years, better at least put the toe in the water.
Cant stand when a player asks for a front loaded deal and then complains when the yearly salary is too low on the back end. You already got paid just two years ago...if you are a moron and spent it all thats your problem. Just because your yearly salary isnt the same as somebody who signed their deal just this year, doesnt make it your employers obligation to double down and pay you yet again.

The only time I side with the player on a hold out is when they are in the last year of a deal and their team low balls them or when they get franchised and the team wont sign them long term at a high risk position. Loyalty is a two way street.
[ Edited by PhillyNiner on Aug 22, 2012 at 8:17 AM ]
Originally posted by 99problems:

But they arent going anywhere no time soon and he only has a few good years, better at least put the toe in the water.

I think you answered your own question. He only has a few good years left. Exactly!! The new owner knows this, MJD will be on the wrong side of 30 quickly. He is under contract the next two years, so MJD has zero leverage.

History has shown that RB's by committee, or even UDFA RB's can come in and be the teams leading rushers. So maybe not easy to replace, but RB is one of the few positions that rookies or FA's can make an immediate impact.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
While many people think cutting a guy with years left on his contract is evil, you are ignoring the fact the contracts are front loaded. If a guy gets a career ending injury 2 games into a contract he keeps the signing bonus which many times is 1/3 of the contract.
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
I respected MJD, but I hate players that want more money when they are already on a contract. It's called a contract for a reason

funny....what do you say when organizations cut players early before their "contacts" are done? Its nice that teams still pay these players right...... oh wait.

Exactly!!!if it was just about it bein a contract,why dont the teams honor em then??dont hold it against a guy for lookin out for his own best interests,the team does the exact same thing

what i understand is that when a player gets cut, the team has to pay out the remainder of the guaranteed money, still honoring the contract. But if his deal sucks, it's his agents fault.

green bay would be a great fit for him. they could be scary with the ground game

I think you answered your own question. He only has a few good years left. Exactly!! The new owner knows this, MJD will be on the wrong side of 30 quickly. He is under contract the next two years, so MJD has zero leverage.

History has shown that RB's by committee, or even UDFA RB's can come in and be the teams leading rushers. So maybe not easy to replace, but RB is one of the few positions that rookies or FA's can make an immediate impact.

And what question was that?

but what he would be trading is the LG leading rusher now that has value
A team that is in the NOW would be willing to give up some future for the NOW imo.
a team like GB should happily give up a 1st it would be a low pick anyway and whatever player they get at that pick may NEVER put together a season like MJD can.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
This is a new owner showing you cannot bully him around. Good for him. Jones will have to report or not get paid. Jags said no raise, no trade basically. You have no options. He has already been paid 21 million on this contract. He is getting fined $30,000 a day right now and so far he has lost almost $800,000. Sooner or later he better realize he is losing serious coin.

if he ends up getting a new $10 mill a year contract because of the holdout, he makes the money back money lost in 2013, and then is on the positive side again in 2014 until he retires/holds out again/resigns elsewhere.

worst case scenario he breaks even (over the next two seasons). i'm assuming he has enough money in the bank to rest for a year. if he gets cut, someone else will sign him.

(not condoning his actions btw)
Originally posted by stonecold590:
green bay would be a great fit for him. they could be scary with the ground game

would they have the cap space for him???
Trade our 213 First with AJ Jenk
Share 49ersWebzone