There are 51 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

** Week 2 NFL Preseason Games Thread 8/16 - 8/20 **

Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
The refs f**ked that one good and proper. It was cards ball on the 4 yard line, and kolb was called for Intentional Grounding on the goal line. They spot the ball on the goal line, but that's the wrong call. It should've been half the distance to the goal from the 4, therefore placing the ball on the 2. Never-the-less, they put in on the inch line, and kolb gets sacked in the endzone for a safety on the next play.

Why is it I/we know s**t like this, but the god damn refs don't? How f**king hard is it.

Did you just hear Eisen's explanation? He said it's a spot foul if the spot of the throw is further back than either 10 yards (if this had happened in the middle of the field) or half the distance (in this case).

Rich Eisen? And just to understand, you're saying my assessment of the rule was correct?

Sorry, my mistake, I am watching NFL Network and Eisen said basically the exact same thing you did, but he got corrected. Calling it a spot foul was the right call. So your assessment of the rule was not correct, as you said it should have been half the distance. The ball should have been spotted where it was.

That's incorrect:

Quote:
Digest of Rules Main

Intentional Grounding of Forward Pass

Intentional grounding of a forward pass is a foul: loss of down and 10 yards from previous spot if passer is in the field of play or loss of down at the spot of the foul if it occurs more than 10 yards behind the line or safety if passer is in his own end zone when ball is released.

Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.

Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, while out of the pocket and facing an imminent loss of yardage, throws a pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including if the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or end line).

If the ball was on the 4, they can't back up 10 yards, so it's half the distance. If the foul occurred more than 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage, it would be spotted at the place of the foul, but that would have been a safety. Since he was on the inch line, it should be spotted on the 2.
[ Edited by StOnEy333 on Aug 17, 2012 at 8:25 PM ]
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Lions and raiders playing starters into the second quarter, think we do the same tomorrow?
Originally posted by toeshawn:
A black punter!

RIP Reggie Roby
That's incorrect:

If the ball was on the 4, they can't back up 10 yards, so it's half the distance. If the foul occurred more than 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage, it would be spotted at the place of the foul, but that would have been a safety. Since he was on the inch line, it should be spotted on the 2.

I stand corrected on the rule, I was going off of what was said on NFL Network. However, in your OP you said it was Cards ball on the four yard line. According to NFL.com the line of scrimmage on the play was the 11, and Kolb threw the ball from inside the one. So, taking your quote of the rules from the correct LOS, the ruling still should have been spot foul because Kolb threw the ball from more than 10 yards behind the LOS.
[ Edited by PA9erFaithful on Aug 17, 2012 at 8:36 PM ]
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by toeshawn:
A black punter!

RIP Reggie Roby
Great punter. Tremendous height and distance on his kicks.
Carson Palmer is playing like s**t.
That's incorrect:

I stand corrected on the rule, I was going off of what was said on NFL Network. However, in your OP you said it was Cards ball on the four yard line. According to NFL.com the line of scrimmage on the play was the 11, and Kolb threw the ball from inside the one. So, taking your quote of the rules from the correct LOS, the ruling still should have been spot foul because Kolb threw the ball from more than 10 yards behind the LOS.

It looked to me that the play started on the 4. I could be wrong. I looked twice to see where the play started.

Don't doubt the NFL changing the stats to make the refs look better.

There's a shooting at the U of Phoenix stadium, one man shot in the face
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:

God damn raider fans.
Originally posted by Afrikan:

that was brutal...but since it happened to Leinart I laughed

God damn raider fans.

easy to blame Raider fans..but I think there is video in years past of Cards fans acting like asses to 9er fans...so you never know what happened or who did the shooting......that all being said, the first thing that ran through my mind is that Stadiums will stop allowing fans with Raider gear to enter opposing stadiums.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 17, 2012 at 10:44 PM ]
thank god im not a dirty raider fan.
That's incorrect:

It looked to me that the play started on the 4. I could be wrong. I looked twice to see where the play started.

Don't doubt the NFL changing the stats to make the refs look better.

lol, very true

with a shotgun

Heard he is in stable condition now