LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

How is Ahmad Brooks?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Brooks is an unsung fkn beast! he has made so many huge plays for us, many that go unnoticed. Love this dude.

This.

I need Brooks must hit dirty and hit dirty to sack at Seahawks to QB (Wilson). Let him hurt and suffer.. come on Brooks.. dude.. we pay him alot moneys like 7 to 9 millions?.. then go hit dirty on QB and RB or wr too. Let's do it.. so Brooks should not hit dirty other team like Arz or Rams or else team.. it is only target b***h on Seahawks..
[ Edited by BuZzB28 on Jul 30, 2014 at 10:01 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Brooks is an unsung fkn beast! he has made so many huge plays for us, many that go unnoticed. Love this dude.

This.

All of these
Originally posted by English:

This.

All of these

All of these x2

If Lemonier turns out to be a total stud for the games that Aldon is suspended I would recommend moving Brooks to MLB with Pwill and having Aldon and Corey on the outsides. Brooks is more than capable as he played MLB in college and in the playoffs showed great run stuffing ability vs the Panthers as a MLB on the goalline stand. This is also under the hypothecial notion that Bows replacement(s) are underwhelming.

All about having our best 4 LBs on the field at once!
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Real team player .

I don't know about that. Brooks didn't take a pay cut; he took more money up front. He didn't lose any money restructuring at all. In fact, he's better off now with more guaranteed money.

I'm hoping this move spells a new contract for either Culliver, Dorsey or Iupati.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Real team player .

I don't know about that. Brooks didn't take a pay cut; he took more money up front. He didn't lose any money restructuring at all. In fact, he's better off now with more guaranteed money.

I'm hoping this move spells a new contract for either Culliver, Dorsey or Iupati.

Any time a player restructures his contract it's clearly for the primary benefit of the team (i.e. instant salary cap relief) so that the team can make moves to locking up others. That is the definition of a team player. Thankfully, it's a win-win for everyone including Brooks as well.
Any time a player restructures his contract it's clearly for the primary benefit of the team (i.e. instant salary cap relief) so that the team can make moves to locking up others. That is the definition of a team player.

Really? So the definition of a "team player" is accepting more money from the team up front in a move that has absolutely no negative effect on you in order for the team to make other roster moves? That's a weird definition.

Baalke: "Hey Brooks, I know I owe you ten bucks & agreed to pay you over the next 2 Fridays, and I was going to pay you 5 each Friday; but how 'bout I pay you 7 this Friday and 3 next Friday. Is that cool?"

Brooks: Uhhhh... sure.

Baalke: "Thanks man. Very unselfish move there."

Brooks: "Huh?"
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Any time a player restructures his contract it's clearly for the primary benefit of the team (i.e. instant salary cap relief) so that the team can make moves to locking up others. That is the definition of a team player.

Really? So the definition of a "team player" is accepting more money from the team up front in a move that has absolutely no negative effect on you in order for the team to make other roster moves? That's a weird definition.

Baalke: "Hey Brooks, I know I owe you ten bucks & agreed to pay you over the next 2 Fridays, and I was going to pay you 5 each Friday; but how 'bout I pay you 7 this Friday and 3 next Friday. Is that cool?"

Brooks: Uhhhh... sure.

Baalke: "Thanks man. Very unselfish move there."

Brooks: "Huh?"

Keep in mind when a player restructures like this, it increases their salary cap charge for future seasons. So yes, more of his salary is guaranteed through signing bonus spread throughout the deal, but the player is now at increased risk of being released in the future in a cost cutting move. That's the trade-off. The team has to sweeten the pie for the player if they are going to restructure.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 30, 2014 at 3:52 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Keep in mind when a player restructures like this, it increases their salary cap charge for future seasons. So yes, more of his salary is guaranteed through signing bonus spread throughout the deal, but the player is now at increased risk of being released in the future in a cost cutting move. That's the trade-off. The team has to sweeten the pie for the player if they are going to restructure.

That's not really true. Sure his cap hit goes up, but so does his dead money. The team now faces a larger penalty if they cut him before his contract is up.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

That's not really true. Sure his cap hit goes up, but so does his dead money. The team now faces a larger penalty if they cut him before his contract is up.

Yes, it's more dead money, but the potential cap savings are still far greater.

Looking forward to the FO next move. Just smoking dollar bills y'all
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Originally posted by English:

This.

All of these

All of these x2

If Lemonier turns out to be a total stud for the games that Aldon is suspended I would recommend moving Brooks to MLB with Pwill and having Aldon and Corey on the outsides. Brooks is more than capable as he played MLB in college and in the playoffs showed great run stuffing ability vs the Panthers as a MLB on the goalline stand. This is also under the hypothecial notion that Bows replacement(s) are underwhelming.

All about having our best 4 LBs on the field at once!

I like it.

No, they aren't. The money you save by cutting a guy is his SALARY for the year, not his cap hit. His salary has decreased this year, but it has not increased for any of the following years. His cap hit has increased for the following years due to proration of a bonus that he has already received. They can't get that money back by cutting him, so there is literally no added incentive to cut him.

No, they aren't. The money you save by cutting a guy is his SALARY for the year, not his cap hit. His salary has decreased this year, but it has not increased for any of the following years. His cap hit has increased for the following years due to proration of a bonus that he has already received. They can't get that money back by cutting him, so there is literally no added incentive to cut him.

I'm not talking "real dollars". I'm talking cap charge. When a player's cap charge is increased, it increases their risk of release if they are deemed not worth the drain on the cap. Has nothing to do with getting real money back. It has to do with freeing up cap space.
I'm not talking "real dollars". I'm talking cap charge. When a player's cap charge is increased, it increases their risk of release if they are deemed not worth the drain on the cap. Has nothing to do with getting real money back. It has to do with freeing up cap space.

All respect dude, but you're really really wrong on this one. The cap hit is a combination of prorated bonus money and that year's salary. When you cut a guy, the only cap relief you get is from the salary coming off the books. The prorated bonus $ stays on the books. To make matters worse, ALL of the future bonus proration for the remainder of the contract gets added to the team's cap immediately, so even though they aren't spending that money on him, they aren't allowed to spend it on anyone else (hence the term, "dead money"). It is actually safe to say that the team would have LESS incentive to cut Brooks before the last year of his deal.
Share 49ersWebzone