LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 295 users in the forums

How is Ahmad Brooks?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
I'll decline you're invitation to leave it alone, thanks. I'll hold my breath until I know what happened, in a real statement from Brooks. If you think this is about innocent/guilty, indictments, mea culpas, and bad apples you are off base. That's not my thinking at all. It's more likely this is about entitled elite athlete culture, professionalism, leadership, maturity, and accountability -- or lack thereof. I have no intention of blabbing mindless speculation. But I am not going away either. And I expect the team to show winning character in managing this. Which does not involve ignoring the incident. Rather, i am hoping that it involves asking for an accurate depiction of the actions of the individuals involved in the incident...and making decisions from there. As well as providing a public statement. Because -- unlike most employers -- that is the business the franchise is in.

I find it impossible to believe that Baalke has not asked for, in your words, "an accurate depiction of the actions of the individuals involved in the incident."

And yes, I do mean impossible to believe.

As far as I can there is no scintilla of evidence that team is ignoring or has ignored this incident. I posted Baalke answers to questions about this incident, and at no point did he say anything that indicates that the team has ignored the incident. The team statement (see below) can not be taken as evidence that that the team has ignored the incident.

"The 49ers organization is aware that the District Attorney of Santa Clara County has closed this matter. As an organization, we look forward to moving on from this situation and will have no further comment."

Since that statement was released Baalke has made it clear that:

1. He will not discuss player discipline with reporters as press conferences.
2. The team will release a statement if and when a public statement seems appropriate.

At this point, I think Baalke publicly discussing details of the incident or the details of the team's investigation of the incident would be a major error and classless, in addition to being premature.

If the league is looking into this incident, and it seems likely that it is doing just that, the 49ers should withold any final statement until the league has finished its investigation.

I am not a lawyer, but I do know that California law limits what information pertaining to employee discipline the 49ers, or any business, can publically release.

We, the public if you will, do not have the specific details of the incident but there are clearly there are mitigating circumstances that need to be weighed.

But, even without knowing all the details, I am willing to say that I do think the team should impose a 1 or 2 game suspension on Brooks. ce

Since, I do understand that my knowledge is limited, I am not in any sense demanding or insisting that the team do what I think is appropriate.

If Brooks makes any statement, you can rest assured that it will not include any specific details about the incident.
[ Edited by buck on Jul 24, 2013 at 8:41 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
I find it impossible to believe that Baalke has not asked for, in your words, "an accurate depiction of the actions of the individuals involved in the incident."

And yes, I do mean impossible to believe.

As far as I can there is no scintilla of evidence that team is ignoring or has ignored this incident. I posted Baalke answers to questions about this incident, and at no point did he say anything that indicates that the team has ignored the incident. The team statement (see below) can not be taken as evidence that that the team has ignored the incident.

"The 49ers organization is aware that the District Attorney of Santa Clara County has closed this matter. As an organization, we look forward to moving on from this situation and will have no further comment."

Since that statement was released Baalke has made it clear that:

1. He will not discuss player discipline with reporters as press conferences.
2. The team will release a statement if and when a public statement seems appropriate.

At this point, I think Baalke publicly discussing details of the incident or the details of the team's investigation of the incident would be a major error and classless, in addition to being premature.

If the league is looking into this incident, and it seems likely that it is doing just that, the 49ers should withold any final statement until the league has finished its investigation.

I am not a lawyer, but I do know that California law limits what information pertaining to employee discipline the 49ers, or any business, can publically release.

We, the public if you will, do not have the specific details of the incident but there are clearly there are mitigating circumstances that need to be weighed.

But, even without knowing all the details, I am willing to say that I do think the team should impose a 1 or 2 game suspension on Brooks. ce

Since, I do understand that my knowledge is limited, I am not in any sense demanding or insisting that the team do what I think is appropriate.

If Brooks makes any statement, you can rest assured that it will not include any specific details about the incident.

I think we're essentially in violent agreement here. I don't expect Baalke, Brooks, etc to gossip about what happened to satisfy public curiosity. I'm perfectly content to wait until an appropriate time for any statements regarding this issue from league, 9ers, brooks, any other participant.

However, disagree with this interpretation of yours:

The team statement (see below) can not be taken as evidence that that the team has ignored the incident.

I think ignoring the incidient was exactly what they were hoping to do. But it just didn't work out that way.

At least, that's how the statement strikes me.
  • buck
  • Veteran
The team statement (see below) can not be taken as evidence that that the team has ignored the incident.

I think ignoring the incidient was exactly what they were hoping to do. But it just didn't work out that way.

At least, that's how the statement strikes me.

That may be how the statement strikes you and you may believe that team was hoping the incident could be ignored, but I hope that you really do not think that the statement released qualifies as evidence supporting your feelings.
That may be how the statement strikes you and you may believe that team was hoping the incident could be ignored, but I hope that you really do not think that the statement released qualifies as evidence supporting your feelings.

I think that saying "we look forward to moving on from this situation and will have no further comment." is precisely such supporting evidence.

They did not say "...we will reserve addiitional comments for an appropriate time."

They did not say "...we will have no public comment as we continue to discuss this matter with participants."

I am curious how you read that statement buck. I don't think you will be disloyal or anything if you refrain from acting as an apologist here.
Whatever Buck said...is what I meant. Brodie, this isn't the Raiders or some other hapless franchise. These guys do it right. Part of doing it right is to not say anything until they know all facts, hear all sides, make decisions. I expect we will get a truncated statement , sometime in the future, and it will be measured, well thot out, fair, and all that "stuff". This isn't going to be overlooked by F.O., but they are under virtually no obligation to keep us posted on the day to day progress of where they are and what they are discussing. Hold you horses and when F.O. has something to say, they will. Until then, anything said by anybody but the principals or F.O. is just talk. If you want a pound of flesh, and it is warranted , it will happen. If not warranted , it won't. For whatever reason you feel as a fan that you need to be kept up to date on some unseemly 49er stuff, that's fine. But you aren't going to get anything until Trent is good and ready. Period.

I find it odd that you think this F.O. which has basically done everything the right way prior to this event is suddenly going to change and "hide something from us"? Man I don't. Lots of folks have questioned draft picks,and other things,(kap for example), but in the end these guys do it the right way. None of us need to traffic cop this. F.O. is plenty capable of taking care of this on their own.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I think that saying "we look forward to moving on from this situation and will have no further comment." is precisely such supporting evidence.

They did not say "...we will reserve addiitional comments for an appropriate time."

They did not say "...we will have no public comment as we continue to discuss this matter with participants."

I am curious how you read that statement buck. I don't think you will be disloyal or anything if you refrain from acting as an apologist here.

Now, I am an apologist.

Never mind, go ahead think what you want. Have a good day.
Now, I am an apologist.

Never mind, go ahead think what you want. Have a good day.

Sorry, I didn't mean it that way. That came out wrong. My bad. I apologize.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Whatever Buck said...is what I meant. Brodie, this isn't the Raiders or some other hapless franchise. These guys do it right. Part of doing it right is to not say anything until they know all facts, hear all sides, make decisions. I expect we will get a truncated statement , sometime in the future, and it will be measured, well thot out, fair, and all that "stuff". This isn't going to be overlooked by F.O., but they are under virtually no obligation to keep us posted on the day to day progress of where they are and what they are discussing. Hold you horses and when F.O. has something to say, they will. Until then, anything said by anybody but the principals or F.O. is just talk. If you want a pound of flesh, and it is warranted , it will happen. If not warranted , it won't. For whatever reason you feel as a fan that you need to be kept up to date on some unseemly 49er stuff, that's fine. But you aren't going to get anything until Trent is good and ready. Period.

I find it odd that you think this F.O. which has basically done everything the right way prior to this event is suddenly going to change and "hide something from us"? Man I don't. Lots of folks have questioned draft picks,and other things,(kap for example), but in the end these guys do it the right way. None of us need to traffic cop this. F.O. is plenty capable of taking care of this on their own.
Sure this is all fine. I'm not hounding anybody. Whatever happens when it happens is fine with me. I just didn't get the sense that the FO was moving in that direction based on the above referenced statement. And you're right , the FO usually does get things right, which is why i was so surprised when they put out the above referenced statement. But maybe buck is right and I just read it the wrong way. As long as there is additional movement on this, publicly or privately -- it doesn't matter to me -- that's what important.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Whitner seems to be the designated talker on the Brooks situation. In my judgment, Whitner can be seen as a quasi-official team spokesmen on this situation at this time.

49ers teammate and locker room leader Donte Whitner has spoken with Brooks, and says the seven-year veteran is remorseful.

"He explained the situation," Whitner said Wednesday. "I gave my input on it and we left it at that. He's tremendously sorry for what he did. Anybody would be embarrassed and he just has to move on and make he continues to make the right choices from this point forward. He'll be OK."
Whitner intimated he expects Brooks to be punished."It was a bad choice that he made, and he's going to have to pay for that," Whitner said. "We don't know what it's going to be, yet."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/whitner-brooks-sorry http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/07/whitner-brooks-is-tremendously-sorry-for-beer-bottle-incident.html
The team may have decided on a punishment that it feels is appropriate and effective, but is waiting to see what the league is going to do.

We have to how this plays out, but I still expect at least a one game suspension and perhaps some type of community service.

I see no evidence indicating that the team either wanted to or tried to sweep anything under the rug.
[ Edited by buck on Jul 24, 2013 at 9:50 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Constantine:
Brooks could be a Pro Bowler one day but that will depend on him. HE is a keeper when it comes to a linebacker but needs to improve on his speed when it comes dropping back in coverage... that means he will need to lose some lbs but will that hurt his pass rush... who knows. The only problem we will have with him in the future is money or lack of play.

Brooks was an All Pro last year. All Pro is more prestigious, i.e. means more, than Pro Bowl.

Bump.
  • buck
  • Veteran
"I have nothing to say about it right now," Brooks said after San Francisco's 10-6 exhibition loss to the Denver Broncos. "It's a distraction to the team and I just want to move forward. It's in the past. What happened obviously happened. It's a distraction to the team, so I don't think it needs to be talked about. It's not about football, and that's how I want to approach it."

"There was no apology needed," Brooks said. "I had nothing to say about it."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9552642/49ers-lb-ahmad-brooks-says-moved-field-issues-need-apologize-team-nfl
dang he put that lineman on ice skates

Thank you Brooks for once again, showing up and coming up clutch for us in a big game.

2nd in tackles, 3 sacks, 3 TFL, 1 PD and 4 more QB hits.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Thank you Brooks for once again, showing up and coming up clutch for us in a big game.

2nd in tackles, 3 sacks, 3 TFL, 1 PD and 4 more QB hits.

Brooks reminded the team that he deserves every penny of that contract he got. Let us hope that he continues to get after QBs like he has.
Share 49ersWebzone