There are 171 users in the forums

How is Ahmad Brooks?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I'm sure there's more to this story than we know, but hitting someone over the head with a bottle is completely out of line... and I wouldn't be surprised if the suspension was higher. I guess it's a waiting game. And a great chance for Lemonier to prove himself.

It should not have been a story but an incident kept in house. I say the team will fine him and enroll him in classes. Nothing criminal is being prosecuted after all. The DA dropped it and so should Goodell
Very disappointed with the team statement. You don't build a dynasty without accountability from players. Disagree with the philosophy of forget and forget. Not right. Not in the best long term interests of the franchise. There needs to be a public statement from Brooks, Harbough. Other than here is our Ostrich impersonation.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Very disappointed with the team statement. You don't build a dynasty without accountability from players. Disagree with the philosophy of forget and forget. Not right. Not in the best long term interests of the franchise. There needs to be a public statement from Brooks, Harbough. Other than here is our Ostrich impersonation.

Might be a bit overboard. The DA dropped it so why give this more press than this deserves. They denounced what we know culliver said but why a press conference on what is speculation concerning Brooks? If there was something to act on I am sure they would
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Might be a bit overboard. The DA dropped it so why give this more press than this deserves. They denounced what we know culliver said but why a press conference on what is speculation concerning Brooks? If there was something to act on I am sure they would

Well, you've outlined a pretty low standard of accountability. Has there been any information exchange at all between Brooks & HarbaughBaalkeFangio? I think that there needs to be. And, it doesn't sound like a bad idea for Brooks to own up to his role in the absurd sequence of events. Just make a statement, set some goals for avoiding this in the future, and have the club support him in his efforts. Why is that so weird? The idea that nothing matters unless the DA presses charges is a really low bar.
Well, you've outlined a pretty low standard of accountability. Has there been any information exchange at all between Brooks & HarbaughBaalkeFangio? I think that there needs to be. And, it doesn't sound like a bad idea for Brooks to own up to his role in the absurd sequence of events. Just make a statement, set some goals for avoiding this in the future, and have the club support him in his efforts. Why is that so weird? The idea that nothing matters unless the DA presses charges is a really low bar.

I was saying that we know of little to nothing that transpired definitively according to what the DA said. They admitted fumbling the whole thing but with the 49ers being under a national microscope it seems every little happening gets magnified. I am sure they communicated and this is why the 49ers released their initial statement regarding Brooks and said that they were aware of the situation. Now we have a statement that basically says there is nothing to see here. Now do I know that this is accurate? No, but what we do know is that the DA dropped it, the 49ers are moving on and the players involved are too. As with Culliver I believe that if there was something to denounce they would do so because when Cully made comments about gays during Super Bowl week we immediately took him to task on it and denounced what he said. To add to that I do believe that he felt this pressure and it affected his Super Bowl performance and just a couple of those plays that he routinely seemed to make breaking up passes during the season could have made the difference between winning and losing. Not trying to minimize what Brooks did or say that it is right to slap someone with a beer bottle but what I am saying is do we even know the facts? because these reports have been extremely varied as to their accounting of what actually transpired
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Jul 20, 2013 at 5:25 PM ]
hes better than you.

It's actually kind of laughable, and it shows the hypocrisy of the NFL and society in general.

Culliver gets baited into a very slight homophobic comment, and its national news, and the poor guy has to make a statement.
Brooks hits a man three times in the head with a glass bottle, and its ho hum didly dum, "let's move on" time.

A cop lays a man on the ground and shoots him in the head, execution style, and it gets a little bit of publicity.
A hispanic man shoots a black man, and it becomes world news.

If it doesn't involve race or sexual preference, it's basically a non-issue these days.

Violence? Meh. Oh wait, racially motivated? And the victim was gay?! Put that monster on the front page!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I was saying that we know of little to nothing that transpired definitively according to what the DA said. They admitted fumbling the whole thing but with the 49ers being under a national microscope it seems every little happening gets magnified. I am sure they communicated and this is why the 49ers released their initial statement regarding Brooks and said that they were aware of the situation. Now we have a statement that basically says there is nothing to see here. Now do I know that this is accurate? No, but what we do know is that the DA dropped it, the 49ers are moving on and the players involved are too. As with Culliver I believe that if there was something to denounce they would do so because when Cully made comments about gays during Super Bowl week we immediately took him to task on it and denounced what he said. To add to that I do believe that he felt this pressure and it affected his Super Bowl performance and just a couple of those plays that he routinely seemed to make breaking up passes during the season could have made the difference between winning and losing. Not trying to minimize what Brooks did or say that it is right to slap someone with a beer bottle but what I am saying is do we even know the facts? because these reports have been extremely varied as to their accounting of what actually transpired

Well, that's exactly the point isnt it? We don't know what happened. How about a statement from Brooks or management? Even if the statement is "We spoke with the players involved, including Ahmad Brooks. We feel that this regrettable incident did not involve criminal behavior. However it did show poor judgement with regard to physical safety,responsible consumption of alcohol, and consideration of community residents. As a result we are continuing to discuss this matter with those involved to determine if additional actions are warranted on the part of the organization and players."

Gee, how crazy is that? Why would that be such a bizarre statement to make? It doesn't have to get all confrontational. Just keep it real. Burying the whole thing is not real.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Baalke was asked about Brooks.

Here is what was asked and what Baalke had to say.

What if any possible discipline does the team have for linebacker Ahmad Brooks?

"There's nothing to add with Ahmad. All the things we discuss with our players, relative to discipline, remains one-on-one with that player only."

Will you suspend him?

"The discussions we have with Ahmad our any players stays within the team or the building."

Are there concerns the league may suspend him?

"You'd have to ask the league."

Why can't you say?

"You can ask me the question 50 different ways, and I'll give you the same response. Anything that we do, if in fact that transpires, you'll know when everybody else knows."

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2013/07/23/baalke-weighs-in-on-wright-brooks-cornerbacks-receivers-and-more/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29
[ Edited by buck on Jul 23, 2013 at 5:43 PM ]
If we are using the Madden rating system I would say he is a 87. (B+ player)

Originally posted by buck:
Baalke was asked about Brooks.

Here is what was asked and what Baalke had to say.

What if any possible discipline does the team have for linebacker Ahmad Brooks?

"There's nothing to add with Ahmad. All the things we discuss with our players, relative to discipline, remains one-on-one with that player only."

Will you suspend him?

"The discussions we have with Ahmad our any players stays within the team or the building."

Are there concerns the league may suspend him?

"You'd have to ask the league."

Why can't you say? "You can ask me the question 50 different ways, and I'll give you the same response. Anything that we do, if in fact that transpires, you'll know when everybody else knows."

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2013/07/23/baalke-weighs-in-on-wright-brooks-cornerbacks-receivers-and-more/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29

I don't get what this post is supposed to imply buck.

3 days ago management said they would say nothing and are moving on.

That went over like a lead balloon. A lot of people felt the same way I did, and requested maturity and responsibility from the teams leadership -- both management and personnel. That's what championship organizations do.

Now Baalke is implying that any issues relating to discipline are continuing to be discussed. And the results of those discussions, if any, will be announced at an appropriate time.

That's great. That's a positive step. I'm gratified -- not because there will be a "punishment" but because additional processing is required from the principals involved. I have no idea how to characterize the original incident. So it's hard to assign blame without actual information.

However, it's a sign of maturity to have the principals deliver that characterization personally, accurately, objectively. It's a sign of maturity to consider if any reasonable consequences are warranted. That could be anything from an apology to neighbors, to enrolling in AA, to a simple statement that no criminal behavior occurred but a lot of poor judgement did.

I'm hoping that Baalke's statements are an indication that things are moving in the right direction, the direction of personal responsibility.

First step on the road to the super bowl begins here.

Brooks is a 91.
  • buck
  • Veteran

I don't get what this post is supposed to imply buck.

The post is not supposed to imply anything.

It merely reports what Baalke said most recently.
Brodie, accepting responsibility, processing, apology, poor judgement... C'mon, man. Unless you were there, and were an eyewitness, saw the whole thing, then you don't know any more than anyone else. So before getting the F.O. to make comments, how about we all hold our breaths until we positively , absolutely know what happened. My bet? That never happens. RIght now, I would bet of the persons personally there, there isn't a single story. Happens all the time. Do I want a bad apple in the clubhouse? No more than anyone else. But right now I know piddle about what the heck happened, and my guess is you don't know more than that either. Let Baalke take care of it. He said he would and that is fine by me. This still is America and believe it or not, one is still innocent until proven guilty. I have heard 3 , maybe 4 renditions of what happened, which just means I don't know nuttin'. Leave it bro.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Brodie, accepting responsibility, processing, apology, poor judgement... C'mon, man. Unless you were there, and were an eyewitness, saw the whole thing, then you don't know any more than anyone else. So before getting the F.O. to make comments, how about we all hold our breaths until we positively , absolutely know what happened. My bet? That never happens. RIght now, I would bet of the persons personally there, there isn't a single story. Happens all the time. Do I want a bad apple in the clubhouse? No more than anyone else. But right now I know piddle about what the heck happened, and my guess is you don't know more than that either. Let Baalke take care of it. He said he would and that is fine by me. This still is America and believe it or not, one is still innocent until proven guilty. I have heard 3 , maybe 4 renditions of what happened, which just means I don't know nuttin'. Leave it bro.

I'll decline you're invitation to leave it alone, thanks. I'll hold my breath until I know what happened, in a real statement from Brooks. If you think this is about innocent/guilty, indictments, mea culpas, and bad apples you are off base. That's not my thinking at all. It's more likely this is about entitled elite athlete culture, professionalism, leadership, maturity, and accountability -- or lack thereof. I have no intention of blabbing mindless speculation. But I am not going away either. And I expect the team to show winning character in managing this. Which does not involve ignoring the incident. Rather, i am hoping that it involves asking for an accurate depiction of the actions of the individuals involved in the incident...and making decisions from there. As well as providing a public statement. Because -- unlike most employers -- that is the business the franchise is in.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Jul 24, 2013 at 7:30 AM ]
Brooks could be a Pro Bowler one day but that will depend on him. HE is a keeper when it comes to a linebacker but needs to improve on his speed when it comes dropping back in coverage... that means he will need to lose some lbs but will that hurt his pass rush... who knows. The only problem we will have with him in the future is money or lack of play.
Share 49ersWebzone