LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 166 users in the forums

How is Ahmad Brooks?

Shop 49ers game tickets
One would hope Ahmad learned from this and this behavior is now in the past tense. As they say, "kids will be kids"...altho pretty much stretches the "kid" portion of the old quote. Rather than wondering what exactly happened, where, when and with whom, SHOULD be replaced with Coach H putting Ahmad in an AA program, 12 steps, and letting him learn from there. This is only past if Coach really puts his foot down, gets Ahmad help, and helps him recapture his potentially great life. All we have to do is watch and we will see if the lesson was learned. There are some guys that have no business going to bars at nite..and occasionally all nite.... and virtually all of them are professional football players . Tiddy bars and all nite drink a thons SHOULD be policed by good teammates. If that isn't happening, JH needs to get Ahmad some good buddies on the team that see to it he does neither of either again while playing for the 9ers. Amazing how that guaranteed money and fancy cars, homes, etc, can all go away in a blink of an eye.

Just ask Aaron hernandez. Ahmad isn't that kind of guy but he does sound like a guy who can't hold his liquor well and hence shouldn't be around it, especially in large quantities. As long as no more funny business, we dodged a bullet. But it sounds like we need a large thank you to the police dept and the DA....and Ahmad needs instant good buddies....who will watch over him. I'll bet anything that was part of how JH got the charges dropped....by a good rehab plan, in house.
Those scrubs are idiots. They have a roster spot to try out for. Instead of going out drinking with Ahmad Brooks they should have opted for strength training with Patrick Willis. Smh
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
...they should have opted for strength training with Patrick Willis.

LMAO! Good point.

BTW: All off season, Brooks stayed in SF and trained with all the vets for the first time after signing his big contract. His hard work paid off down the stretch. I'm surprised nobody brought up your point about him hanging out with ONLY rookies. That seems very odd to me. Maybe he was just sending a message to the coaching staff that he doesn't want to babysit rookies. LOL.
Originally posted by NCommand:
LMAO! Good point.

BTW: All off season, Brooks stayed in SF and trained with all the vets for the first time after signing his big contract. His hard work paid off down the stretch. I'm surprised nobody brought up your point about him hanging out with ONLY rookies. That seems very odd to me. Maybe he was just sending a message to the coaching staff that he doesn't want to babysit rookies. LOL.

Maybe Divens should have clocked Brooks but then again we might have a bigger issue on our hands
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20130703/SPORTS/130709838/1016/SPORTS0401?p=all&tc=pgall

SMH!!! idk if this already have been posted but I cant stand this guy! ... I understand what brooks did was bad and shouldn't be tolerated but to cut the guy?? to show a message? you can suspend the brooks 3-5 games if you want and that already shows a message to the team.
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20130703/SPORTS/130709838/1016/SPORTS0401?p=all&tc=pgall

SMH!!! idk if this already have been posted but I cant stand this guy! ... I understand what brooks did was bad and shouldn't be tolerated but to cut the guy?? to show a message? you can suspend the brooks 3-5 games if you want and that already shows a message to the team.

Someone needs to cut Cohn. Personally, I wouldn't allow this schmuck near 49er facilities. He and his pop can EAD!!
Dont ever read the Press Democrat, youre funding terrorism (terrible-journalism) if you do.
Originally posted by 49erWay:
Great points Jim, Brodie, and Buck. I am known for being emotional and protecting women so I do have a slant.

Perhaps Brooks is not as bad as some, including myself, have drummed him up to be. I suppose we do that to test it in the hope of finding the truth. Lets hope this all pro linebacker, who I have always voiced out in support of, transgresses these issues and becomes as solid as we want to see him do.

Has to be quite a challenge to perform on the world stage and not have a foul up or two.

Here's to pulling for Brooks...

The good news is nobody is discrediting a very poor decision by Brooks while also recognizing we probably only have a small sample of the actual truth and will probably never know the full truth. Brooks typically only hangs out with the veterans so why was he hanging out with 3 rookies? How far did a 340 pound Divens taunt him?

No matter, he's been a model citizen with us from day 1 and especially AFTER he signed the LT contract. I've followed his Twitter account as well for years and he's been nothing but a home body and very religious, classy, etc. But he made a huge mistake.

My best guess is that he's remorseful, he and Divens are cool now and he'll be asked to be a Niner and apologize to his team and take responsibility. It's most likely no different from a team-standpoint of VD and Haralson fist fighting in front of coaches. And like that incident, it won't happen again. He'll be watched, monitored, given help/support if needed, surrounded by vets only, stipulations added (if they aren't already in his contract), etc.

And you can BET, Harbaugh and Fangio will use this as extra motivation to get the most out of him on the field. Do you remember how Aldon responded after a few bad incidents last off season? Expect a few quotes from Brooks during camp about how he's sorry and extra motivated to prove to his fans he's sorry.

In-house...moving on.
I actually think there's an outside chance they're going to fire him. Threatening team mates? Attacking team mates? If the team really wants to continue to be seen as "winning with class," I'm really wondering how this fits with that image.

I think he's real good on the field so I'd be worried if they did, but I think there's a chance.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I actually think there's an outside chance they're going to fire him. Threatening team mates? Attacking team mates? If the team really wants to continue to be seen as "winning with class," I'm really wondering how this fits with that image.

I think he's real good on the field so I'd be worried if they did, but I think there's a chance.

It's plausible esp. if they asked him to babysit/play the role model (and then blew up and acted a fool). These things are built into contracts, I hear.

Boy, that would be an ugly loss.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Dont ever read the Press Democrat, youre funding terrorism (terrible-journalism) if you do.

Unless its Barrows...good dude, great read.
  • buck
  • Veteran

The winning with class idea is interesting, but I am not absolutely clear how it would play out.
The seriousness of what Brooks did can not be,and should not be, denied or ignored.

In the three years, Brooks has been with the 49ers, he has demonstrated a willingness to improve both on and off the field.

I do not think that this incident necessarily invalidates his efforts over the last three years.
This is, as far as we know, the first time Brooks has blown it with the 49ers.

There are many elements to consider, and I do not have the knowledge or information needed.

We will have to see what happens.
[ Edited by buck on Jul 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM ]
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

The winning with class idea is interesting, but I am not absolutely clear how it would play out.
The seriousness of what Brooks did can not be,and should not be, denied or ignored.

In the three years, Brooks has been with the 49ers, he has demonstrated a willingness to improve both on and off the field.

I do not think that this incident necessarily invalidates his efforts over the last three years.

There are many elements to consider, and I do not have the knowledge or information needed.

Man that is tough. As much as I would be proud of the niners organization for showing such commitment to winning with class, what if he went to Seattle. They don't care about class and Brooks with his talents and a chip on his shoulder would be a nightmare.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dwett:
Originally posted by buck:

Man that is tough. As much as I would be proud of the niners organization for showing such commitment to winning with class, what if he went to Seattle. They don't care about class and Brooks with his talents and a chip on his shoulder would be a nightmare.

I am not convinced that letting Brooks go would be the correct thing to do.

As a 49er he has committed one major error--that error could have had, but didn't have any serious consequences

In my opinion, a class organization would not cut Brooks after he has done much to overcome his past.
The process of correcting our errors, of eliminating our weaknesses, often has its up and downs.

| think a class organization would insist that Brooks continue on the path of confronting his demons and would work with him to make sure he does.
[ Edited by buck on Jul 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone