There are 237 users in the forums

How is Ahmad Brooks?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:
Originally posted by 49erWay:
Lol what I meant was Brooks is pretty good but he isn't so good he can't be replaced by Lemoier or someone else.

And yes I realize him hitting that woman was 5 years ago but now we have this latest episode and my position is that the 49ers have always been a team and fan base of character and class, not punks. It is something Walsh, Montana, Craig, the rest of the team, and the whole fan base has always been proud of. So I don't like Brooks.

Sorry for the misunderstanding in prior post on the "replacement" comment, should have stopped at two margherita's instead of three last night lol.

I agree. He isn't as irreplaceable as the other 4 stars in our front 7. I think lemo was drafted for a reason, and we did trade up to get him so they must think he'll be pretty valuable. He has the physical skillset to be a very solid player in this league, he just needs to work hard. The dude is 6'3/6'4 255 with long arms, and is very quick for his size. (4.56 40) He also seems to be pretty strong putting up 27 reps on the bench and has had 81 tackles 19 TFL 15 sacks and 6 FF over the past 2 seasons. Baalke always drafts for the future and I think Lattimore, tank, lemo and maybe even patton were drafted more for the future than an immediate need like McDonald and Reid. Even if he and the rest of our backups don't prove worthy to be starters than we can pick up a free agent who will be a little less productive but save a lot of money or draft a stud in the 1st 3 rounds. Baalke set us up nicely for next year too.

He has a ways to go to be able to fill brook's shoes but I think he'll get there. My main reason for looking for a replacement for brooks really comes down to money. How can you have that much money invested in your LBs. Your talking about 8 a year for brooks going forward , around 8 a year for pat, 9 for bowman, and probably even more for aldon when his contract comes up. So let me ask you this does brooks deserve to be paid as much as pat? No. His contract wouldn't be an issue if we didn't have a bunch of stars to resign. IMO I'd rather pay 4-5 mil a year for brown than 8 for brooks.

You ask if Brooks deserves to be paid as much as Willis. Well, they are both on 6 year contracts and last time I checked Willis' was for $60 million and Brooks was for $ 37 million.

So.......
Originally posted by English:
Lol what I meant was Brooks is pretty good but he isn't so good he can't be replaced by Lemoier or someone else.

And yes I realize him hitting that woman was 5 years ago but now we have this latest episode and my position is that the 49ers have always been a team and fan base of character and class, not punks. It is something Walsh, Montana, Craig, the rest of the team, and the whole fan base has always been proud of. So I don't like Brooks.

Sorry for the misunderstanding in prior post on the "replacement" comment, should have stopped at two margherita's instead of three last night lol.

I agree. He isn't as irreplaceable as the other 4 stars in our front 7. I think lemo was drafted for a reason, and we did trade up to get him so they must think he'll be pretty valuable. He has the physical skillset to be a very solid player in this league, he just needs to work hard. The dude is 6'3/6'4 255 with long arms, and is very quick for his size. (4.56 40) He also seems to be pretty strong putting up 27 reps on the bench and has had 81 tackles 19 TFL 15 sacks and 6 FF over the past 2 seasons. Baalke always drafts for the future and I think Lattimore, tank, lemo and maybe even patton were drafted more for the future than an immediate need like McDonald and Reid. Even if he and the rest of our backups don't prove worthy to be starters than we can pick up a free agent who will be a little less productive but save a lot of money or draft a stud in the 1st 3 rounds. Baalke set us up nicely for next year too.

He has a ways to go to be able to fill brook's shoes but I think he'll get there. My main reason for looking for a replacement for brooks really comes down to money. How can you have that much money invested in your LBs. Your talking about 8 a year for brooks going forward , around 8 a year for pat, 9 for bowman, and probably even more for aldon when his contract comes up. So let me ask you this does brooks deserve to be paid as much as pat? No. His contract wouldn't be an issue if we didn't have a bunch of stars to resign. IMO I'd rather pay 4-5 mil a year for brown than 8 for brooks.

You ask if Brooks deserves to be paid as much as Willis. Well, they are both on 6 year contracts and last time I checked Willis' was for $60 million and Brooks was for $ 37 million.

So.......

key word there would be going forward. 2014 would be around 6.9 for willis 15 9.2 16 9.5. Brooks is due 7.5 in 14 8.3 in 15 and 8.8 in 16.

So.....
[ Edited by JimDrinkAMiller on Jul 6, 2013 at 4:21 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Brooks' salary should not be overestimated. His contract was $37 million for seven years with $8.25 million guaranteed. In general, players do actually receive the money in final couple years of their contracts. They either get cut or re-negotiate the contract.

In each year, Brooks get a workout bonus of $100,000 and if he plays in every game bonuses that total $750,000 plus base salary.

Brooks, if he plays out the entire contract will come close to $8,000,000 only in 2017--the last year of this contract. But, there are deescalators in the contract for production goals that more than likely will lower his yearly salary.

If Brooks plays every game his maximum salaries would be, if and only if no deescalates kick in:

2013 $850,000 plus $2,700,000 = $3,550,000

2014 $850,000 plus $5,150,000 = $6,000,000

2015 $850,000 plus $6,000,000 = $6,850,000

2016 $850,000 plus $6,500,000 = $7,350,000

2017 $850,000 plus $6,950,000 = $7,800,000

I think I added the numbers correctly, but they are available at:

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/sf/49ers
[ Edited by buck on Jul 6, 2013 at 4:32 PM ]
I didn't overestimate s**t. I was going off the overall cap hit.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/ahmad-brooks/
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/patrick-willis/
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/navorro-bowman/

Btw his contract according to my souce is 37 mil over 6 years not 7.
Good enough to hit you with a beer bottle in the head and threaten to go get his gun.
Sorry Buck that came off rude..

The signing bonus isn't incorporated in your salaries and they are in mine.

The point I was trying to make is that brooks is right on par with bowman and willis going forward and his price tag just seems a bit high to me. That's all.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I didn't overestimate s**t. I was going off the overall cap hit.

Never mentioned your name.

Thanks for the links.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Sorry Buck that came off rude..

The signing bonus isn't incorporated in your salaries and they are in mine.

The point I was trying to make is that brooks is right on par with bowman and willis going forward and his price tag just seems a bit high to me. That's all.

Yes, it was but then you do that a lot, so I do not really care.
Originally posted by NCommand:
This is the spin that upsets me...you can clearly see the media spinning it in the worst possible way (implying he wanted his keys back to go driving is irresponsible as well as using the word "bashing"). For all we know, Divens was messing with Brooks relentlessly to the point that Brooks asked him if he was going to have to get his gun (to show he was very serious and wanted his keys back). Moving on...

Hell we dont even know if it was a real fight or a drunken dumbass and his dd, or who it was who even called the cops. For alot of people in richer upper class neighborhoods 4 loud drunk and obnoxious large black man scuffling at 2am outside is more then enough reason to call the police....
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Brooks and his woman punching self (hit a lady in Cincinnati and got off) is good enough to be replaced by Lemon (ier).

I don't want a lady hitter on the team.

Get lost Brooks you punk.

Wait, what? He IS good enough to be replaced by Lemonier? That doesn't make sense.

He's saying that Lemonier is bad enough to replace Brooks. Duh.

Mark my words brooks will not see the 8 mil + he is due in 2015/2016. He will either be gone by then or restructure. He's a good player but isn't worth that much to our team considering we have 4 other players on our front seven that are more crucial to our defense IMO.

This. I am so much more educated about Brooks from all of your posts now and am quite proud of how educated our Niner base is. But ya, I gotta go with "Jim" on this one, and not because I want him out. I just think, like others have said, he is on his way out and being replaced. Perhaps rightfully so, perhaps premature.

But Bill Walsh always got it done with every player just a year before he would lose leverage and money didn't he? Harbaugh and Ballke have learned from him.

• buck
  • Veteran
This. I am so much more educated about Brooks from all of your posts now and am quite proud of how educated our Niner base is. But ya, I gotta go with "Jim" on this one, and not because I want him out. I just think, like others have said, he is on his way out and being replaced. Perhaps rightfully so, perhaps premature.

But Bill Walsh always got it done with every player just a year before he would lose leverage and money didn't he? Harbaugh and Ballke have learned from him.

It might be a little premature to talk about Brooks being on the way out, considering that we still have not played the 2013 season.

Brooks is 29 years old, next year he will reach that dreaded age of 30. Not only is he getting older, but Brooks also has a long history of injuries, a history that began in high school. He had knee surgery after his sophomore year in college. In 2007, when playing for the Bengals, he tore his groin and missed almost the entire year.

Since his arrival in SF, Brooks has worked hard and dedicated himself to the game. As far as I know, until he went off last week, he has not had any off the field problems. In my estimation, he has done enough to demonstrate that he is not a punk. Yeah, he fell down, but I am confident that he can pick himself up and continue the fight against his demons--and I would bet that team will be there insisting that he continue to improve.

Brooks should have at least one or two more years of good football in him, but he will be facing a convergence of age, a bruised and battered body, and salary cap issues. I just hope that he defeat those demons, before he loses his career. .
[ Edited by buck on Jul 6, 2013 at 7:46 PM ]
Are garage door openers not a thing in CA?

I'm not rich or anything, but every house I've ever lived in since I've been out on my own had a garage door opener.
I've dropped off my share of drunks before by letting them in their house through the garage, hiding the keys in the garage & then Indiana Jones-ing my way out.

I don't buy into "give me my keys so I can get in"
Originally posted by Heed49er:
Are garage door openers not a thing in CA?

I'm not rich or anything, but every house I've ever lived in since I've been out on my own had a garage door opener.
I've dropped off my share of drunks before by letting them in their house through the garage, hiding the keys in the garage & then Indiana Jones-ing my way out.

I don't buy into "give me my keys so I can get in"

So you think he was trying to get his keys to go out for a drive to have a few more drinks?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by buck:
Do not really disagree, but alcohol can really distort the world. DTs (Delirium tremens) are pretty common among alcoholics trying to kick the bucket. DTs include both visual and auditory hallucinations. These hallucinations can produce profound terror and physical violence on the part of the person having the DTs.

Strange that you mention spiders. I saw one guy having DTs who was in an absolute uncontrollable frenzy because bugs were crawling all over him. He was hitting himself (and anyone who tried to talk to him) and had to put in restraints for over 24 hours.

I stand corrected. I did not know alcohol could do that. There is always an exception to the rule. However, I am 99% sure that Brooks was not suffering from Delirium tremens at the time of the incident. That sounds like something that happens to alcoholics with a serious drinking problem.

I was not talking about Brooks, just one of the most devastating effects of alcohol. DTs. My comment was off subject. Brooks got drunk and blew it
Originally posted by English:

So.......

key word there would be going forward. 2014 would be around 6.9 for willis 15 9.2 16 9.5. Brooks is due 7.5 in 14 8.3 in 15 and 8.8 in 16.

So.....

I think I am just going to assume that you don't realise that they play different positions and that the positions have different average salaries.

Brooks is a fine OLB and would be missed if the team were foolish enough to cut him. To even talk about replacing him with a rookie defies belief.

End thread, as far as I am concerned.
Share 49ersWebzone