There are 211 users in the forums

How is Ahmad Brooks?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by English:
I want the 49ers to be quality guys. I want them all to be team-first guys who give 95% of their earnings to charity and spend all off=season helping little old ladies across roads.

I also want them to win.

Lets be clear, there is a line. Murder, rape, serious spousal abuse, child abuse, all this stuff and more is beyond the limit and anyone, even Montana or Rice in their heyday could not expect to stay with the team after anything like this.

So I guess it depends where you draw the line. For me, until the police have decided if this is a felony, a misdemeanour or a non-event, it is too early to form a view.

But for those of you who have already judged him, think along these lines. Charles Haley was a key part of our D in the late 80's. Yet his reported exploits, in a team which had a very clean reputation, were certainly beyond a drunken fight. He eventually got traded, reportedly, because of conflict with Seifert, then head coach, and a fight of some description with Steve Young. But prior to that, his activities made Brooks look like a choirboy.

So where DO you draw the line?

What Brooks did was messed up, and I as a fan am very disappointed,however it's a far cry from spousal abuse, murder, rape etc. I would even place drunk driving and cheating as worse.

He got in a fight with a teammate. Granted it was extreme and there was a weapon, but trust me I have seen a person after they got hit hard with a beer bottle in the head and it would not have taken more than 1 swing, nor would the victim have been telling the cops what happened shortly after, if Brooks was swinging to really injur. My guess is they were messing around, which escalated into something a bit more physical than it should have with the more aggressive person of the two being just that.
[ Edited by WINiner on Jul 4, 2013 at 7:28 AM ]
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
What Brooks did was messed up, and I as a fan am very disappointed,however it's a far cry from spousal abuse, murder, rape etc. I would even place drunk driving and cheating as worse.

He got in a fight with a teammate. Granted it was extreme and there was a weapon, but trust me I have seen a person after they got hit hard with a beer bottle in the head and it would not have taken more than 1 swing, nor would the victim have been telling the cops what happened shortly after, if Brooks was swinging to really injur. My guess is they were messing around, which escalated into something a bit more physical than it should have with the more aggressive person of the two being just that.

Moral relativism at it's finest. Considering how drunk he was, Divens may have saved his life or some unsuspecting traveler that night. It is sad to see someone with so much money not smart enough to get in a cab. Disappointed but this guy has always been somewhat of a wild card. The guy should go to jail.
Originally posted by WINiner:=
if Brooks was swinging to really injur.

I don't want the man to go to jail, but c'mon now... You don't hit someone over the head with a bottle just to give him a love-tap.
Double
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 4, 2013 at 9:27 AM ]
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
I've threatened get my gun or fighting knife before in this situation..however I was joking, maybe he was too, but these days any comment takes flight to the max. Another thing, how come the bottle didn't break if he hit him in the head 3x? It's super easy to pop an eyebrow open with hardly any power if you tap on the eye socket ridge, there's your 3 stitches. Maybe he was tapping his head with it, but not real hard. I've been a party to that and had it done to me.. I used to hang with very intense, but fun people. Usually it would all degrade into a heavy duty wrestling thing like MMA to the tap out, then a few more beers for drill..this whole thing is overblown IMO...

This is a good point...don't think we have the full story (or ever will). So Okoye, et. al were just standing there watching this? I doubt it. And like you say, it sounds like he was pushing the bottle into his head given the wounds more than bashing it over his head, breaking and then attempting to stab the dude (why need a gun?). Sounds like an immature provoking Divens (who clearly knew what he was doing) was really messing with a drunk man at the wrong time and Brooks took it too far (inexcusable - I'm sure he'd admit to that, no doubt). Divens needs to grow up and Brooks needs to avoid too much alcohol (just doesn't mix well with some people) and get some counseling to be safe. Love the mean streak with he and Aldon but you've got to save that for the field only! Remember WHO you represent as a player. No doubt the Niner's will keep this in house and appropriately handle the situation (undocumented (media) fines, game suspensions, etc.).
  • Jiks
I support guys that hit women in the face and has shown negative tendencies since college.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
I support guys that hit women in the face and has shown negative tendencies since college.

Agreed, history needs to be taken into account. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1692687-49ers-linebacker-ahmad-brooks-may-face-assault-charges-after-attacking-teammate

"The unidentified witness said Brooks was too intoxicated to drive home, so Divens drove. When they got to Brooks' house about 2 a.m. on June 8, Brooks asked for his keys. Divens pretended to chuck them onto the grass and then started to hand them to him.

Brooks then allegedly clocked Divens in the head with a beer bottle. Brooks allegedly began cursing and then struck him in the head again. Brooks allegedly asked Divens, "Do I need to get my (expletive deleted) gun?" and struck him again. Prosecutors also allege in the warrant that Brooks punched Divens."

Brooks REALLY wanted his keys back! LOL...on the serious, agreed, one has to look at the full history:

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_23588549/da-weighs-whether-seek-49ers-linebacker-ahmad-brooks

In 2008, when Brooks was playing for the Cincinnati Bengals, he was accused of punching a woman in the face and accepted mediation on the charges, according to media reports.

Also, at the end of the 2005 season, he was dismissed from the University of Virginia football team because of an unspecified "off the field" incident, according to the university.

In 2003, he was charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession. Those charges were dismissed after he completed the requirements of his probation.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 4, 2013 at 10:05 AM ]
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Welcome to the starting lineup Cory Lemonade
  • Jiks
Originally posted by NCommand:
Agreed, history needs to be taken into account. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1692687-49ers-linebacker-ahmad-brooks-may-face-assault-charges-after-attacking-teammate

"The unidentified witness said Brooks was too intoxicated to drive home, so Divens drove. When they got to Brooks' house about 2 a.m. on June 8, Brooks asked for his keys. Divens pretended to chuck them onto the grass and then started to hand them to him.

Brooks then allegedly clocked Divens in the head with a beer bottle. Brooks allegedly began cursing and then struck him in the head again. Brooks allegedly asked Divens, "Do I need to get my (expletive deleted) gun?" and struck him again. Prosecutors also allege in the warrant that Brooks punched Divens."

Brooks REALLY wanted his keys back! LOL...on the serious, agreed, one has to look at the full history:

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_23588549/da-weighs-whether-seek-49ers-linebacker-ahmad-brooks

In 2008, when Brooks was playing for the Cincinnati Bengals, he was accused of punching a woman in the face and accepted mediation on the charges, according to media reports.

Also, at the end of the 2005 season, he was dismissed from the University of Virginia football team because of an unspecified "off the field" incident, according to the university.

In 2003, he was charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession. Those charges were dismissed after he completed the requirements of his probation.

Exactly. The guy was going to be a first round pick but fell out of the draft due to character issues. Nobody wanted to take a risk on him. I don't know the whole story but it does seem like the guy has some serious issues. These people claiming we all mistakes, in which we do, but when you are knocking out innocent women, and hitting guys with beer bottles to me that shows problems. Not to mention wanting to grab a gun and possibly murdering over a set of keys.

Again don't know the full story, but that shows problems not some mistake. I'm sorry if you threaten to go get a gun, drunk or not, it shows irresponsibility and you shouldn't even possess that.
next man up!

Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Exactly. The guy was going to be a first round pick but fell out of the draft due to character issues. Nobody wanted to take a risk on him. I don't know the whole story but it does seem like the guy has some serious issues. These people claiming we all mistakes, in which we do, but when you are knocking out innocent women, and hitting guys with beer bottles to me that shows problems. Not to mention wanting to grab a gun and possibly murdering over a set of keys.

Again don't know the full story, but that shows problems not some mistake. I'm sorry if you threaten to go get a gun, drunk or not, it shows irresponsibility and you shouldn't even possess that.

Yup...his quote of "Do I need to get my (expletive deleted) gun?" also speaks to how much Divens was probably messing with him too (or how Brooks perceived the incident). Yes, the dude is 80 pounds bigger than you and you are drunk and happen to have a bottle in your hand...DUMB!

I doubt anything comes from this but Brooks needs to get some support, hang out with the veterans only (not young rookies) and man-up and take responsibility for his actions. He's been a model with us from day 1 but you also have to take into account his full history and recognize he is capable of going overboard, big time!

I would not doubt language was written into his contract as well re: poor character decisions. He'll be disciplined either way by the team. Putting a stain on the Niner name is not taken lightly...just ask Larry Grant!
  • Jiks
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yup...his quote of "Do I need to get my (expletive deleted) gun?" also speaks to how much Divens was probably messing with him too (or how Brooks perceived the incident). Yes, the dude is 80 pounds bigger than you and you are drunk and happen to have a bottle in your hand...DUMB!

I doubt anything comes from this but Brooks needs to get some support, hang out with the veterans only (not young rookies) and man-up and take responsibility for his actions. He's been a model with us from day 1 but you also have to take into account his full history and recognize he is capable of going overboard, big time!

I would not doubt language was written into his contract as well re: poor character decisions. He'll be disciplined either way by the team. Putting a stain on the Niner name is not taken lightly...just ask Larry Grant!

Yeah dude probably shouldn't lose his job over this, but he does need to get help. Taking the high road and not doing anything about it may lead to bigger and badder things down the road. Maybe a little AA and some anger management, at the very least to show he understands this stuff probably wont fly much longer. Dudes got the whole world in front of him and losing it because he got too drunk or can't control his emotions is not worth it. I personally would much rather get the help needed, maybe have a 2-4 game suspension, and fix the real issues, than spend time in jail or unemployed. Just think of the trouble you are setting up for yourself when you lose your job, and have no support anymore.
@JiksJuicy: "Maybe a little AA and some anger management, at the very least to show he understands this stuff probably wont fly much longer."

Yes! That should be an absolute requirement for him staying with the team. They guy clearly has problems that he needs to deal with. I don't want them to lose him because I think he's a big part of the defensive front, but come on.
f**k Ahmad Brooks. He's always been one of those questionable characters to me. Knew it was just a matter of time before he effed up again.

Next man up.
Just me but I wouldn't axe him for fighting with his bottle drunk vs a teammate. That's a fair fight unlike beating women but he would receive discipline. Still yet I'm amazed Divens let him get away with it. Unbelievable!
Share 49ersWebzone