There are 194 users in the forums

How is Ahmad Brooks?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NTeply49:
last 2 years combined - 96 total tackles, 3 forced fumbles, 0 fumble recoveries, 1 interception, 1 td.

time to start looking at 2015 and beyond

Stats don't tell the whole story. No. 1 rule in every sport.
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by Mercuryspeed:
Look for his replacement yes! He was a sideline to sideline player last year from the blitzing outside linebacker position; meaning that he was like Terrell Suggs without the all the sacks. People watch every 49er game on here. They look for weaknesses now that the team is so strong and he ain't one of them.
He didn't have the numbers but people know how he'd:
Close the pocket and jump the flat route
Bull rush and Pass Defend
Cause fumbles
Drop back into coverage in zone blitzes
And you will not find a better solid tackler at his position.
Dont leave out the pick 6 in the superdome against the Saints

last 2 years combined - 96 total tackles, 3 forced fumbles, 0 fumble recoveries, 13.5 sacks 9 passes defended, 1 interception, 1 td.

time to start looking at 2015 and beyond

can we play 2013 and 2014 first?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Apparently, the fact that Ahmad Brooks was selected 2nd team All Pro does not stop some from wanting him cut.

If we compare Brooks to other 3-4 outside linebackers in the league, his value we will be better appreciated, and perhaps the work of a 3-4 outside linebacker. better understood.

Here are last year's tackle and sack stats for some of the major 3-4 outside linebackers in the league.

The list goes tackles, solo, assists, and sacks. I will try to make the formatting easy to read.

SF
Brooks 46 34 12 6.5
Smith 66 50 16 19.5

Pittsburgh
Harrison 70 49 21 6
Worilds 27 23 4 5
Woodley 38 27 11 4

Baltimore
Kruger 42 30 12 9
Suggs 22 17 5 2
Upshaw 60 38 22 1.5

Dallas
Spencer 95 55 40 11
DeWare 56 33 23 11.5

Washington
Kerrigan 54 42 12 8.5
Jackson 36 26 11 4.5

GB
Matthews 43 32 11 13
Walden 46 27 19 3
[ Edited by buck on Apr 10, 2013 at 1:59 PM ]
He needs to be replaced IMO
He's awesome
Is this a joke? If the Niners can find someone better than Brooks to start over there, more power to them, but I don't think it's going to happen.
  • thl408
He's good but not so good that he deserves that much money. He will be a casualty when extensions to other players are needed. Let's enjoy him while we can.
How good is Ahmad Brooks? 2nd team all pro unsung hero good thats how good.
I disagree he's a great player. We can't afford to replace him with anyone else because anyone better would be too expensive. He's perfect for what he is.
To the original poster,

I understand much of what you are trying to say here, but it bums me out that you are so down on Ahmad Brooks. Looking at a few limited statistics does not give you a full appreciation of that player's value. Although buck posted some rather enlightening numbers, I would like to take it one step further...

In addition to the production you are getting from Brooks in terms of pass rushing (13.5 sacks in the past two years), you are also getting several other KEY components:
1) Healthy - the man has a pretty clean slate of health these past few years and that is crucial when it comes to teams who are contending for Super Bowls each year
2) Reliable - each week, each game, you are getting the same guy. Very rarely does he have weeks where he plays poorly and brings the entire defense down. That consistency is greatly appreciated by the coaching staff
3) Versatile - Although I am unable to provide an exact snap count, I'm fairly confident that Brooks played > 90% of our defensive snaps. That includes playing 1st and 2nd down as well as 3rd down packages. It doesn't matter what type of defense we are in, Brooks can fit in it. Another big time plus

When you take those components into account in addition to his modest pass rushing totals, you get a better appreciation for who he is as a player. Additionally, he was voted second team All-Pro which would place him in the top 4 OLBs in the league.

When a team asks a player to take a pay cut, that team is basically saying that they are being paid more than standard market value and the player is unlikely to make that much money out on the street. If the player thinks he is worth more than the team is offering, he refuses and the team cuts him. That would be a disaster for us! Over the next several years, Brooks will be making $5-7 annually (that's not including DE-escalators that will REDUCE the number if high sack totals are not reached). That equates to about 4-5% of our TOTAL salary cap spending.

Would you be willing to spend 5% of your yearly salary cap for a player that is one of the top 4 at his position that brings you both the production and attributes mentioned above?

PS - sorry for the lengthy post. Call me a big time Brooks fan I guess

• 9moon
  • Veteran
Personally, I think Ahmad Brooks is the MOST under appreciated player on our team. The guy to me is the BEST pass rusher day in and day out.. He's stats may not show it, but our defense are design to take advantage of Smith & Smith. I've always felt that if Brooks was playing in Pittsburgh, the guy will be an ALL PRO year in and year out.

It also doesn't help that the media does not advertise him well enough with Willis & Bowman, cause if you think about it, there aren't sets of LBs that would be better than the trio.

The guy does not take plays off, he keeps it to himself, and he makes a great play every time I watch our team play.
Brooks doesn't need to be replaced .. we just need better depth at OLB. Haralson doesn't really do anything impressive .. hopefully Fleming, Johnson, or a rookie can be that 3rd guy who adds a little more of a pass rush presence.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Only the 4th best lb'er on the team? CUT HIM!

According to PFF, here is where he ranks on the team and among all 3-4 outside lb'ers in the league. The guy is a top 10 OLB, period.

He's rated by quite a few very reputable analysts as one of the most well-rounded OLB's in the league. He's not a sack artist, although he can put a heckuva lot of pressure on QB's. He does everything well. Were it not for his hit on Ryan Atlanta could have definitely beaten us out of a SB berth. He also helped turn around the Saints game with his pick 6. Pls stop this nonsense...the draft is two weeks from tomorrow, so think of something really meaningful to discuss in this forum.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
He's rated by quite a few very reputable analysts as one of the most well-rounded OLB's in the league. He's not a sack artist, although he can put a heckuva lot of pressure on QB's. He does everything well. Were it not for his hit on Ryan Atlanta could have definitely beaten us out of a SB berth. He also helped turn around the Saints game with his pick 6. Pls stop this nonsense...the draft is two weeks from tomorrow, so think of something really meaningful to discuss in this forum.

THISS
Share 49ersWebzone