LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
If he appeals his suspension won't he be able to play week 1 now since it's only 2 weeks away

Exactly. Aldon will play against Dallas even if he's suspended IF he appeals the suspension. Since it will likely take a few weeks for the appeal process to play out.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by socal9er42:
OK - Non "suspension pending" question. A question about his play.

I keep hearing how AS is an absolute animal in Camp and near unstoppable. Making Staley look silly at times, etc.

I sure haven't seen it in the actual preseason games (admittedly a limited number of snaps). I see him getting late pressure at times, but nothing that's very impressive. I don't think anybody else is seeing much either, as he isn't being mentioned as a "winner" in the winner-loser" threads.

Is it strictly because he is being held back? Limited scheming? Minimal stunts? "Don't get injured at all costs"?

Or is it something else?

That's because people aren't paying attention to him. People are looking at Aldon as purely a pass rusher, he is no longer that, he is a complete OLB

he has impact on every single play if you pay attention.

for 1 how many runs do you see go to his side? Few..

How many times yesterday did they run to his side or do a quick pass in the back field to his side and he was right there unblocked ready to make the tackle, he missed a couple but he was unblocked and there.

He is getting qb pressure on some downs but they were rarely in any obvious passing downs, his responsibilities go beyond that.

Look at the 4th down play yesterday, he made that play by himself. They tried to run to his side but the person in charge of blocking him got shoved back into the lead blocker for the running back forcing the rb to cut inside to where 3 or 4 niners were waiting. That is aldon's impact.. go watch that play. He literally pushed the tackle into the fb and killed the entire play.

So if you're just looking for sacks? Ok he isn't getting sacks YET but impact of play? he's impacted every game he's played in so far.

Or maybe it is because he is practicing a weakness during the preseason games. I have heard ex-football players mention in interviews that they never looked good in preseason because they were trying a new move or working on a weakness. But once regular season started, they went with whatever gave them the advantage in order to make a play on every play.
possible but i haven't seen him just not be effective at any point this preseason even in limited action. i hope people aren't expecting a sack on every down. to me it feels like he's working on coverage and setting that edge as well as run defense..

his run defense at the end of last season was unbelievable. i think he's got pass rushing down.
Tuesday and still no news! WTF!!
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Tuesday and still no news! WTF!!

its clear the nfl is stumbling over itself to recalibrate the suspension system after only giving Ray Ray a 2 game ban for physically harming someone.

Now they have to figure out how to justify Gordon's marjuana-centric ban in a society that increasingly DGAF about weed even if the NFL does (also they need to be concerned about their PR and profit and make sure Gordon is there to make Manziel look good because eventually he will replace Hoyer (yes I went there)) and also make sure that they make Aldon's DUI and guns charges look like they got a heavier handed approach.
Thread bumped? I thought Aldon got arrested again. No more bumps until news k thx.
If he appeals his suspension won't he be able to play week 1 now since it's only 2 weeks away

oh yeah, pat and kevin williams played more than a season appealing their star caps suspensions if i remember correctly
Originally posted by crabman82:

oh yeah, pat and kevin williams played more than a season appealing their star caps suspensions if i remember correctly

True but I think a judge actually overruled the NFL in that case and allowed them to play while that case was in litigation. The players union usually will appeal for the player. Thus making it even stranger that the NFL hasn't handed out his suspension so the NFLPA has proper time to appeal. Still different situations b/c they got suspended under the NFL's drug policy while Aldon is about to be penalized under the player conduct policy which gives Roger autonomy to do what he wants basically. And I think the appeal goes right back to Roger.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
I feel bad for the Browns to, teams need to know what's up.
If Goddell wasnt by now he deft is by now the WORST Commish the league has had in its history. His rep has gone down the drain in the past few years. HORRIBLE!!!!. Just a JOKE

I wonder, if he does end up having to face a 2 game suspension, after the 5 game credit is taken into account. In combination with the appeal if that means he will play against Dallas week one, but be suspended for the game against the Cardinals in week 3?

• mayo49
  • Veteran
No Aldon suspension today.
Originally posted by mayo49:
No Aldon suspension today.

He's gonna get suspended right before kickoff vs. the Cowboys.
Goodell will hand down suspensions Friday at 5pm.

I do not know this for a fact, just heard the idea on the radio and it sounds logical, given roster cutdowns must happen by Saturday.

Still though, if I were the Browns or 49ers, I would be a little annoyed he waited this long. Unless they knew already, which they deny.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

I do not know this for a fact, just heard the idea on the radio and it sounds logical, given roster cutdowns must happen by Saturday.

Still though, if I were the Browns or 49ers, I would be a little annoyed he waited this long. Unless they knew already, which they deny.

This is certainly possible. The media doesn't know, but that doesn't mean the teams haven't already been told. I'm sure everyone would rather keep the focus on roster evaluation at this time, and not have to deal with the media frenzy from these suspensions until they have to.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

This is certainly possible. The media doesn't know, but that doesn't mean the teams haven't already been told. I'm sure everyone would rather keep the focus on roster evaluation at this time, and not have to deal with the media frenzy from these suspensions until they have to.

I mean if you're the Browns, you will want to be prepared roster wise if your top reciever is going to be out for the year. If he doesn't get a year long suspension, that should significantly affect what you do before Saturdays cutdowns.
Share 49ersWebzone