LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 205 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fryet:
So here is how I personally think the penalty should be handled. Let's say Goodell decides on a 6 game suspension. Since Aldon missed 5 games due to treatment, the suspension is reduced to 1 game. However, Aldon was paid during his rehab, so Goodell also imposes a fine equal to 5 game checks. What I don't know is what flexibility Goodell has when it comes to fines. Aldon may need to sign some agreement or "voluntarily" donate 5 game checks to charity.

Personally, I think 4 games is probably about right for a first suspension, in which case he wouldn't miss any time, and only have a fine equal to 4 games.

I'm with you, Fryet. 4 games is more than fair.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Hoovtrain, I have posted that about a dozen times here. It fits. 4 games, 6 games, doesn't. Time served plus 1 for the insult and goodell gets to watch Aldon do community service cleaning up roadsides on TV every Monday for 8 weeks.

Pillbusta is right. The kid isn't a criminal. He has done stupid things, didn't beat up anybody, esp a woman, nor did he rob a drug store. These are piss ant things, and goodell should do the right thing and make it 6 games, minus 5 for time served, plus in rehab for that, and let him get on with his life. I do think he will add...if any more screw ups, he is out for the season. Now there is a big stick, and that should give Aldon plenty of reason to do no wrong.

Drunk driving is criminal. You cannot downplay that. If there was a kid in his path he coulda been killed that day. Had a cousin killed by a drunk driver. I don't think aldon is a bad dude. Just makes stupid decisions. Glad he's sober. I think a four game suspension is fair. But anything 8 or less wouldn't surprise me. Even though he had paid medical leave when he went to rehab, I think that will be a factor.
[ Edited by gold49er2183 on Aug 13, 2014 at 11:39 AM ]
You know, I'm starting to think he may not be suspended at all or at least minimally. Why? If Goodell is serious about correcting behavior and he's not about punishing players, the LAST thing you want to do is place a recovering alcoholic on idle for 8 games AFTER he's gone to rehab and is clearly in the best shape of his life, both mentally and physically. Why would you want to thwart that progress and put a STAR at risk for falling back into relapse while he sits at home and watches his team from afar?
Originally posted by NCommand:
You know, I'm starting to think he may not be suspended at all or at least minimally. Why? If Goodell is serious about correcting behavior and he's not about punishing players, the LAST thing you want to do is place a recovering alcoholic on idle for 8 games AFTER he's gone to rehab and is clearly in the best shape of his life, both mentally and physically. Why would you want to thwart that progress and put a STAR at risk for falling back into relapse while he sits at home and watches his team from afar?

I agree completely, NCommand. Goodell has a chance to set a great precedent.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Drunk driving is criminal. You cannot downplay that. If there was a kid in his path he coulda been killed that day. Had a cousin killed by a drunk driver. I don't think aldon is a bad dude. Just makes stupid decisions. Glad he's sober. I think a four game suspension is fair. But anything 8 or less wouldn't surprise me. Even though he had paid medical leave when he went to rehab, I think that will be a factor.

Each of his misdemeanors is a crime.

Whether Aldon is good or bad is not the point.

His multiple arrests, incidents, and convictions put him in violation of the NFL rules on conduct.

In my estimation, both Aldon and the legal system have taken the appropriate corrective steps.

There is no good reason for the NFL to add more than a one game suspension to the steps already taken.

I doubt if Goodell agrees my estimation, but maybe.

I wouldn't be mad if he got 4 games or something like that. ALDON has been a huge knucklehead and skated by without many reprocussions. The airport incident was what 4 months ago? I'm still not 100% sure he gets it. But I've never spoken to him and maybe he finally does. Hopefully comish got incite into that when he spoke with him.
[ Edited by natrone06 on Aug 13, 2014 at 12:06 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by gold49er2183:

His multiple arrests, incidents, and convictions put him in violation of the NFL rules on conduct.

In my estimation, both Aldon and the legal system have taken the appropriate corrective steps.

There is no good reason for the NFL to add more than a one game suspension to the steps already taken.

I doubt if Goodell agrees my estimation, but maybe.

I see your point but I have no clue what Goodell will do. Maybe one maybe 8 who knows.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Originally posted by NCommand:

I agree completely, NCommand. Goodell has a chance to set a great precedent.

Which means Goodell will fail miserably as usual and give Aldon a nice lengthy suspension of 4+ games. All Goodell ever does is screw things up.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

Yep, I think the main thing is the volume of police run-ins, not necessarily the individual cases. Goodell said that a big reason Rice only got 2 games was because this was his first offense. Aldon has 3 separate incidents. I'm thinking 4 games, but hoping less because of rehab and camp reports that he's ultra focused on football.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
I think we can justify, mystify, and simplify this situation all we want. Kid will get four games min. I love the dude, happy he is sober, but indiscretion has a price.

Originally posted by fropwns:
I think we can justify, mystify, and simplify this situation all we want. Kid will get four games min. I love the dude, happy he is sober, but indiscretion has a price.

agreed. i also dont see his rehab stint playing into it despite what goddell said last year. to me it was just lip service. i dont think its sets a good precedent to have a troubled player off the field decide he can take a few games off to get some help and escape punishment from the league. otherwise guys will be doing this all of time and picking and choosing which games to miss as they suddenly got all better the minute that big MNF game comes.
[ Edited by crabman82 on Aug 13, 2014 at 12:18 PM ]
Originally posted by crabman82:
agreed. i also dont see his rehab stint playing into it despite what goddell said last year. to me it was just lip service. i dont think its sets a good precedent to have a troubled player off the field decide he can take a few games off to get some help and escape punishment from the league. otherwise guys will be doing this all of time and picking and choosing which games to miss as they suddenly got all better the minute that big MNF game comes.

This is inaccurate! He might miss games but what Aldon and the 49ers did was very responsible and productive for Aldon. There is NO need to try and downplay it or minimize it in any way. It was a great thing that both he and the organization took initiative and got Aldon the help he needed. His rehab should play into the DUIs because he already lost those games and he got the help he needed. He voided 4 games there with a 5 game absence without the prompting of the NFL. Now the gun charges are a different issue. If they give him a sh** ton of games for that then so be it but no one can say that the paid leave didn't count! Take the money back in fines but you can't ignore the time he did
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Basically . Too much focus on punishment as opposed to players correcting their behavior. Looking at everything, I doubt we see Aldon in much of anything anymore.

Wait... what the crap??? Too much "focus" on punishment as opposed to correcting behavior?

The punishment IS what corrects the behaviour. And it's not the NFL's job to correct his behaviour anyway. That's Aldon's job. It's the NFL's job to punish him.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Aug 13, 2014 at 12:27 PM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
He should have clarified.

"Those who don't have panties bunched up into their A-crack, know he is a nice guy."

You have really low standards for being a "nice guy."

Here's pretty much everything we know about Aldon:

1. Good at sacking QBs
2. Good at crashing cars while hammered
3. Likes to give grief to TSA employees

...Yep. I think that's enough to definitively call him a "nice you."

Signed,

-Enormous Homer
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Aug 13, 2014 at 12:34 PM ]
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Which means Goodell will fail miserably as usual and give Aldon a nice lengthy suspension of 4+ games. All Goodell ever does is screw things up.

I don't agree w/ Goodell a lot, but his overall guidance of the NFL shield and public consumption of the NFL seems pretty lock tight. Hard to argue his methods...
Share 49ersWebzone