There are 171 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by valrod33:
You are forgetting about his DUI

For which he served a five game self-imposed suspension. Of which Goodell has stated he would take into account. In which the NFL, has never suspended anybody for a DUI, ever.

Aldon Smith has not served a five-game suspension for anything.

He took a paid medical leave, for about one month I believe, and he missed five games when he was on leave.

He was paid for the five games he missed; no pay when you are suspended.

Goodell has said that he would take into account Aldon's time in rehab and the games he did not play, but he was not suspended.

I think Goodell will appreciate Aldon's time in rehab, not many people check into rehab after getting a DUI. His time in rehab shows that he is serious about his problem.

Also, the judge's sentence imposed a no-drinking condition on his three year probation.

No reason to add to that with any suspended games.

[ Edited by buck on Jul 28, 2014 at 5:10 PM ]
Originally posted by crabman82:
when it comes to the personal conduct policy theres no reason to even attempt to compare suspensions. theres no real rhyme or reason for how goodell does it. guess it depends on if Jerry Jones sucked him off before he heads to the office that morning.

Fixed
  • buck
  • Veteran
The fact is that Goodell has suspended players for multiple incidents requiring the presence of the police.

Aldon has five misdemeanor convictions of which the most serious are the DUI and reckless driving.

His house party was a unmitigated disaster. He was knifed, people were shot, and as a result of the house party the police found the weapons that were illegal in California. As a result of the house party, two civil suites were filed against him.

Aldon has five convictions, two law suites, and multiple incidents requiring the presence of the police.

I do not think he should be suspended, but if he is I will not be surprised.

Anyway, we will find out sooner rather than later.

I hope he doesn't get suspended but I don't think he would be meeting with Goodell face to face if he wasn't getting suspended.
Originally posted by jimrat:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

thats even worse than hands on the hip. so gassed he cant even stand up, and this is the start of practice.
our s**tty off season has made a very nice transition to camp whoever 90 is looks worse. jesus

Nose tackles are supposed to look like that ha ha

Looks like some sweet stretching to me...
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
I hope he doesn't get suspended but I don't think he would be meeting with Goodell face to face if he wasn't getting suspended.

In that meeting, Aldon has to convince Goodell, that he has taken the steps necessary to solve his problems.

He must convince Goodell that there is no logical reason to add a league suspension to the punishment given to him by the courts.

Can he do it?

I do not know, but there is a chance.

Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

In that meeting, Aldon has to convince Goodell, that he has taken the steps necessary to solve his problems.

He must convince Goodell that there is no logical reason to add a league suspension to the punishment given to him by the courts.

Can he do it?

I do not know, but there is a chance.

In before the dumb & dumber .gif, meme or video.

thats even worse than hands on the hip. so gassed he cant even stand up, and this is the start of practice.
our s**tty off season has made a very nice transition to camp whoever 90 is looks worse. jesus

Hey. He looks good. Can't hide those wheels in long sleeves.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Heed49er:

Looks like some sweet stretching to me...
aldonexcuses
Hand on hips is now down on one knee

Originally posted by TexasNiner:
The public reaction to the Ray Rice thing has me a little worried about Aldon's suspension. The NFL has to be hating the kind of backlash they are getting, so everyone else coming up Hardy, Aldon, etc.., could feel the heat.

I hope not. I hope they treat them as the separate cases they are and decide the punishment in spite of any outside factors, but I don't trust the NFL to be that unbiased about it.

If they think they need to "protect the shield" they could easily make the next round of penalties tougher to show they are serious about disciplining their employees who fun afoul of the law.

Your comparing a wife beater, to a man who legally purchased firearms and drove across a state border.

There was a 0.00000000000000000000000000000001% chance that as a result of Aldon Smith not having the proper button on his gun, people would be hurt as a result.

For Rice there was a 99.9999% chance that his wife would get hurt after he hit her.

We're comparing a harmless technicality, which harmed nothing and nobody, to a wife beater who physically harmed another human being.

I'm not comparing anything. I'm concerned that regardless of the difference of the situations, that the NFL will enforce stricter penalties on the upcoming disciplinary cases simply as a way of showing that they are serious about players who have had issues with the law given the backlash from the Ray Rice suspension.

Obviously, the cases are in no way connected, but I think that may matter less to the NFL than brand awareness and a way to send a message to the public after their response to the NFL's handling of the Ray Rice case.

"Protecting the Shield" matters far more to the NFL than fairness or justice when it comes to handing out these penalties. And I fear that could be bad news for all those with upcoming cases going before Goodell.

I really wish Aldon had gone before this whole Ray Rice thing.
The public reaction to the Ray Rice thing has me a little worried about Aldon's suspension. The NFL has to be hating the kind of backlash they are getting, so everyone else coming up Hardy, Aldon, etc.., could feel the heat.

I hope not. I hope they treat them as the separate cases they are and decide the punishment in spite of any outside factors, but I don't trust the NFL to be that unbiased about it.

If they think they need to "protect the shield" they could easily make the next round of penalties tougher to show they are serious about disciplining their employees who fun afoul of the law.

Your comparing a wife beater, to a man who legally purchased firearms and drove across a state border.

There was a 0.00000000000000000000000000000001% chance that as a result of Aldon Smith not having the proper button on his gun, people would be hurt as a result.

For Rice there was a 99.9999% chance that his wife would get hurt after he hit her.

We're comparing a harmless technicality, which harmed nothing and nobody, to a wife beater who physically harmed another human being.

I'm not comparing anything. I'm concerned that regardless of the difference of the situations, that the NFL will enforce stricter penalties on the upcoming disciplinary cases simply as a way of showing that they are serious about players who have had issues with the law given the backlash from the Ray Rice suspension.

Obviously, the cases are in no way connected, but I think that may matter less to the NFL than brand awareness and a way to send a message to the public after their response to the NFL's handling of the Ray Rice case.

"Protecting the Shield" matters far more to the NFL than fairness or justice when it comes to handing out these penalties. And I fear that could be bad news for all those with upcoming cases going before Goodell.

I feel like given the fact that Rice only got a 2 game suspension, Aldon's charges were all either dropped completely or were dropped to misdemeaners bodes well for him, especially given the fact that he went to rehab last year. Don't be surprised if Goodell comes out and says "I'm issuing Aldon Smith a 6 game suspension and giving him credit for 5 games since he voluntarily went to rehab last year missing 5 weeks". I expect Aldon back no later than week 3.
Everybody is wasting their time trying to look at the Ray Rice situation and compare it to Aldon's. Or looking at Rice's light penalty and think that the NFL will give Aldon a tougher penalty. Roger and the NFL have proven they don't care, and that there is very little consistency with how they penalize players. Aldon needs to take his parents to that meeting with him and his AA sponsor and look forgiving. But whatever penalty Aldon receives will mostly be based on how the meeting with Roger went. Giving Aldon 9 games does nothing to calm the Ray Rice situation. The upset women will still be furious and still won't answer why such a short penalty for violence against women. And giving Aldon a long suspension will only ramp up more comparisons and put more fuel on the Ray Rice story. That's why I don't think we hear anything this week. They will try to wait for the Rice story to die down a little bit after pre season games start. .
[ Edited by lamontb on Jul 29, 2014 at 7:40 AM ]
Originally posted by matt49er:

I feel like given the fact that Rice only got a 2 game suspension, Aldon's charges were all either dropped completely or were dropped to misdemeaners bodes well for him, especially given the fact that he went to rehab last year. Don't be surprised if Goodell comes out and says "I'm issuing Aldon Smith a 6 game suspension and giving him credit for 5 games since he voluntarily went to rehab last year missing 5 weeks". I expect Aldon back no later than week 3.

We will see. I don't expect anything beyond a few games at most for Aldon. Mostly due to the repeated nature of his issues. Not that any one of them was so severe, but even in spite of his contrition, rehab and voluntary efforts, he has had multiple incidents running afoul of the law and/or with alcohol related issues.

For his own good, I think the NFL will want to remind him that he is on a slippery slope that leads down the Josh Gordon route if he isn't very careful. And that's the truth. He's at a crossroads where he can keep himself clean and out of trouble for the rest of this career, and he can turn himself around ala Cris Carter. Or he can be good for a while and if he gets overconfident and slips back into old habits, he could cost himself his NFL career.

However, my concern is that prior to the Ray Rice thing, if the NFL thought that one or two games was enough, or perhaps something like you said with a larger "suspension" and credit for "time served" that meant he only missed a game or two, if that, of this season, that now that could be doubled or worse (and I think they will absolutely throw the book at Greg Hardy) as a response to the public's reaction to the Rice suspension.

I guess we will find out soon enough though.
I said this spring that I suspected Aldon would get 2-4 games based on precedent alone with 2 games being most likely after his time served had been considered BUT with Aldon having not received any felony convictions and the LAX deal being thrown out I think we can expect 0-2 games out for Aldon with 1 game being most likely. Goodell doesn't have to punish Aldon for DUI because he spent 5 weeks in rehab and he already missed 5 games in doing so. As for the guns it was essentially an honest mistake and he is doing work release for that so I think Goodell gives him a game simply because he feels he has to give him something for the headlines he caused or he could go with a large fine instead. I'm hoping for as few games out as possible of course
Share 49ersWebzone