LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/7/18/5916525/aldon-smith-sentencing-county-jail-probation-felonies-misdemeanors
somebody got paid off or money under the table
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
He better get a suspension. But, who knows they might keep pushing it back for another two years and he's out of the league #cheathawksway

I thought u could only push court dates off a couple times but I am by no means "up" on how the legal system works. Does anyone know if u can just keep pushing it off indefinitely?
Originally posted by 16to87:
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/7/18/5916525/aldon-smith-sentencing-county-jail-probation-felonies-misdemeanors

sweet season tix for the judge
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
I thought u could only push court dates off a couple times but I am by no means "up" on how the legal system works. Does anyone know if u can just keep pushing it off indefinitely?

We'll they have pushed it back this long. I'm sure they will try and push it back one more year( likely his last year as a hawk)
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
[ Edited by mayo49 on Jul 18, 2014 at 3:15 PM ]
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Florio probably wrote an article ahead of time about the harshest punishment and was ready to hit enter as soon as that news hit the twittershpere. Unfortunately for him, he now has to erase all that work and cry in his pillow.

Great news. We can finally move past this ordeal. Now we just have to wait for Goodell's ruling.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 18, 2014 at 3:29 PM ]
What I see the league doing is a 4 game suspension. They will let the time he missed in rehab count toward the 4 games.

Since he was not suspended by the team he was still getting paid last year.

The suspension makes him pay a fine and the league gets to say it is no joking on DUI's but supports players and teams that try to help players get "better".
Definitely great news but now it is up to the kid to keep his head straight.

I find this entire "if it were me, I'd be in jail" thing perplexing. Evidently people don't really get what's going on here. The weapons charges were for failing to make a minor adjustment required in California on two guns purchased legally in another state. The DUI involved no reckless driving, no injuries, no damage to another vehicle and was technically not a moving violation. The LA DA found that there was no conclusive evidence he had even used the work "bomb." The "background" is that he is a person who has admitted he has a problem and already has committed himself to rehab.

So why do people think this is so strange? Nobody is going to do any real time for problems like this whether or not they're a pro athlete.

• Phil
  • Veteran

Not really. A person with 2 DUI's will get 30 days in jail with halftime and work alternative is an option. The gun charges were on legally bought guns, not a felony and Aldon doesn't have any prior felony convictions. A person with prior convictions and public defender would probably be in jail for a couple months at most. Prior felony convictions a couple years.
Originally posted by crake49:

I find this entire "if it were me, I'd be in jail" thing perplexing. Evidently people don't really get what's going on here. The weapons charges were for failing to make a minor adjustment required in California on two guns purchased legally in another state. The DUI involved no reckless driving, no injuries, no damage to another vehicle and was technically not a moving violation. The LA DA found that there was no conclusive evidence he had even used the work "bomb." The "background" is that he is a person who has admitted he has a problem and already has committed himself to rehab.

So why do people think this is so strange? Nobody is going to do any real time for problems like this whether or not they're a pro athlete.

It's cause some fans of other teams didn't want to have their QB taken down by Aldon.
if i were Smith, I would consider spending 11 days straight to just get it over with
Originally posted by crake49:

Because it's too hard for most people to put the situation in proper context. It's much easier to ignore the facts of the case and jump on the tired, old narrative that he only got off because he's an athlete.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 18, 2014 at 3:33 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Because it's too hard for most people to put the situation in proper context. It's much easier to ignore the facts of the case and jump on the tired, old narrative that he only got off because he's an athlete.

So true. And it's going to be annoying to watch fans of other teams compare him to players who have done so much more damage to themselves and others. I've already seen a comment on ESPN comparing this to Plaxico Burress' case and complaining about special treatment for Smith. Think about that. Smith has two guns in his house bought legally in another state which he failed to have minor modifications made on and Burress mistakenly fired off an illegal hand gun in public endangering lots of people who were at a night club. And this Giants fan thinks the two are comparable.
Share 49ersWebzone