LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 197 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Report coming saying the niners plan to pick up the option. smart move.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Hello all. First post. Coming over from another unnamed forum. I'm personally hoping we hold onto Aldon long term. The airport thing will probably go away/be dismissed and the gun charges, to me, aren't that serious. The DUI's are more troubling. And there seems to be a pattern of trouble but one would think a concentrated supportive environment, with some carrot AND stick will turn him around for the better. And perhaps a contract that voids his pay if he messes up again.

What sort of suspension do we think the league might hand out?
No matter what he does off the field, Aldon is too valuable to give up on.

This guy makes a pretty good argument backing that up:

http://www.football.com/en-us/despite-baggage-49ers-should-keep-aldon-smith/
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by Phil:
Hello all. First post. Coming over from another unnamed forum. I'm personally hoping we hold onto Aldon long term. The airport thing will probably go away/be dismissed and the gun charges, to me, aren't that serious. The DUI's are more troubling. And there seems to be a pattern of trouble but one would think a concentrated supportive environment, with some carrot AND stick will turn him around for the better. And perhaps a contract that voids his pay if he messes up again.

Welcome, Phil! I would venture to say we won't know until the law sorts itself out.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phil:

Felonies are more serious than misdemeanors, and the DUI is a misdemeanor.

I tend to think that three felony gun charges are more serious than a misdemeanor DUI.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by estreet:

No matter what he does off the field ?

That excuses everything that he could possibly do!!!

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by estreet:

no matter what? there does come a point where you do not let the inmates run the asylum
Originally posted by cciowa:
no matter what? there does come a point where you do not let the inmates run the asylum

Let's not confuse what happens out in the real world with what happens in the building, the practice field or on the field of play. Lots of teams over the years have done perfectly fine with players who were basket cases off the field and tremendous players between the lines either at practice or in a real game.
Make the announcement damnit so i can get back to work
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Seriously man

Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Lol
Will Brinson ‏@WillBrinson 2m 49ers exercise fifth year option on Aldon Smith per league source
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 35s 49ers exercise fifth year option on Aldon Smith per league source.
San Francisco 49ers ‏@49ers 44s #49ers exercise fifth-year contract option on LB @AldonSmith.
Thanks Marvin for giving us some good news
Share 49ersWebzone