LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by Afrikan:
The front office is just waiting for charges to be dropped in that airport incident.....As well as waiting for that hearing on the 29th. Then they will pick up the option.
My brother I would shake your hand! This is common sense or at least good business sense!
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Sofa, I think my heart agrees with you, but my head says, wait it out. Do I think aldon will get cut? No way. Do I want to see what the Goodell reaction is? Yes. If he is out for 4 games, no big deal. If half a yr, ok, I'd think about it and pick up the option. If Goodell makes him stay out a yr, I would say no. But all the things Aldon has done don't come close to what others have done and got 4 game suspension. Has he pulled some dumb moves? Yup. Does he know how to get after the QB or RB? Yup. Is he one of the top passrushers in last 3 yrs? Yup. So if Goodell hands down even a half yr suspension, I think aldon would have good grounds to contest that, in that what he has done was not be very smart, not malicious. The TSA thing, I think I could have qualified for, altho we still don't know what happened. To date NOBODY knows except Aldon and the TSA guys there. The arrest as an afterthought sure sounds like a b.s. arrest. So even if my head says no, I would sign him...with caveats...and get on with football.

I would be curious if someone had any info on a guy who had DUI and self committed himself to rehab, missing 6 games. IS there any precedent on that on what Goodell or anybody before him did... ie, as far as additional suspension or not?

True there is the TSA incident, but man the more I hear the phonier it gets. If he said bomb, I sure would like to know the context in which it came out. I bet a ton of money he didn't say he HAD a bomb...or threatened to blow up a bomb. This may come down to semantics and he said/she said, but this is starting to sound like c.s.

I hear ya, doc. The problem is we don't have time to wait it out. We must decide on the option by May 3rd, and we don't know when/if Goodell will suspend him. My hope is the April 29th hearing will make the situation more clear, and we can go from there.

If the 49ers are still leaning toward keeping Aldon long-term, they need to pick up the option. If he's not in our long-term plans, then don't pick it up, though I feel that would be a colossal mistake.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
The front office is just waiting for charges to be dropped in that airport incident.....As well as waiting for that hearing on the 29th. Then they will pick up the option.
My brother I would shake your hand! This is common sense or at least good business sense!

I hope you fellas are right!
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I hear ya, doc. The problem is we don't have time to wait it out. We must decide on the option by May 3rd, and we don't know when/if Goodell will suspend him. My hope is the April 29th hearing will make the situation more clear, and we can go from there.

If the 49ers are still leaning toward keeping Aldon long-term, they need to pick up the option. If he's not in our long-term plans, then don't pick it up, though I feel that would be a colossal mistake.

Even if we don't keep him pick up the no risk option so we can retain his rights as a trade chip! We would fetch at least a second round pick for him the spring of 2015! Good business bro!

You know we are because if you had a business where you could retain the rights an to unwanted asset that will be highly valued by your competition you retain those rights to use with you opposition as a powerful bargaining chip. Good business! You know what Trent will do
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Apr 18, 2014 at 7:37 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
You know we are because if you had a business where you could retain the rights an to unwanted asset that will be highly valued by your competition you retain those rights to use with you opposition as a powerful bargaining chip. Good business! You know what Trent will do

Sounds logical, but I am betting that Jed York is the major decision maker.

We know very little of what is happening or what has happened.
Originally posted by buck:

We will know may third! We should have gambling odds on this! Easy money for me!

They are. He is too good to let go. We have to at least try. If he was a scrubby player he would have been gone. But he is a special talent and that is why we will tolerate his crap, so long as it doesn't get out of hand.

Something like what happened at LAX isn't the straw that broke the camel's back.
Far from it.

And we will pick up the option. We have to maximize our investment and he is gold. Guys like aldon are rare and in a passing league, we really need him. And everyone in the F.O. and coaches know it.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Apr 18, 2014 at 8:52 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

They are. He is too good to let go. We have to at least try. If he was a scrubby player he would have been gone. But he is a special talent and that is why we will tolerate his crap, so long as it doesn't get out of hand.

Something like what happened at LAX isn't the straw that broke the camel's back.
Far from it.

And we will pick up the option. We have to maximize our investment and he is gold. Guys like aldon are rare and in a passing league, we really need him. And everyone in the F.O. and coaches know it.

Taking it all in, he's in his early 20's, he grew up poor, worked hard and made it too the pros. he's not on trial for murder, or assault and battery as others have been. He's young away from home with lots of money. He threw a party it got out of hand, he was stabbed , and the house got ransacked. was this the plan I don't think so. The drinking and driving and hitting a tree. There's your real problem. LAX give me a break. He was singled out' several average height people standing in line yet they chose the 6 foot 5 black guy. Like they didn't know who he was' yeah right. What sounds more realistic "Hey i have a bomb" or "why are you guys checking me, it's not as if I have a bomb or something" He's trying to fit in to this world he created for himself. Drinking is a crutch always has been, ongoing therapy is what's needed. Stand by this young man Niner fans, we are all allowed to fall it's getting back up that's important.

• buck
  • Veteran

We will know may third! We should have gambling odds on this! Easy money for me!

As I understand it, we could sign Aldon to an extension any time before the end of the 2014 season.

If that is true, not picking up the fifth year of his rookie contract does not mean that he would hit free agency.

Am I confused, again.
As I understand it, we could sign Aldon to an extension any time before the end of the 2014 season.

If that is true, not picking up the fifth year of his rookie contract does not mean that he would hit free agency.

Am I confused, again.
Only if he agrees to said extension. He can say no way! Then he becomes a free agent in 2015! If we exercise this no risk option we've set his price for both 2014 and 2015! He has absolutely no say in his price and no say as to where he goes and how much he is paid as he would in a free agency setting if he reached the open market. This then gives us leveraging in order to evaluate him further for ourselves or to trade him at a set price! Why would we decline this option? That's bad business! The more you let this stuff sink in you know I know Jed knows cooler heads will prevail and May 3rd we get that option!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Apr 18, 2014 at 11:24 PM ]
Dear 49ers-Fans,

would you allow me an outside view. I live in Europe and I travel a lot. Last year, I flew 280.000 miles with one Airline. Not to mention the other ones.

Believe me, I had my share of security / TSA.

I usually get along with those officers very well. But they can be a pain in the butt. Be it over here or over there. But the Americans tend to over-exercise their power and sometimes are really unfriendly. PLEASE note this is the excemption, not the rule. Like 90% of the time those officers are very friendly, if you act friendly.

By saying this: inmho the whole Aldon Smith thing is blown out of proportion. If I said "Hey, I have a bomb" (with a little twink) after they searched me, over here some would have said "sure, thats the reason we searched you". Others would have been a little stricter of course. I don't think I would have been arrested. BUT I am only 6,1 and I am white.

For me the officers overreacted. I dont know how Aldon behaved. But this is a pattern that I see quite often at American Airports.

I understand the security and I am fully supportive of their job though.

And Aldon just should have been quiet considering the trouble, he is in. But as a young person you have to be very mature to not feel omipotent with all the stardom.
[ Edited by Toughniner on Apr 19, 2014 at 1:58 AM ]
The gun charges, the airport incident, that's the small picture. The Tshirt picture. The big picture is his dead drunk DUI, and whether he needs go back into rehab, and/or will voluntarily take this step to remove intox from his professional life, from his personal life. If he can't do this --then his production will decline the way it has for countless other professional athletes. That changes the value equation significantly to a number far below what is currently on paper. Even though he is just 24, we can't project out and say that in 18 months, this guy will be tearing it up if he consumes 2 liters of vodka per week. Or gets high daily. Period. This is the arbitrage really. I don't see Aldon as thug who's aggressiveness is a physical danger to others. He has a habit that needs to be considered, and countered.

I don't have any insight into where he is with that battle. I hope the organization does.
I really think we need to like get him a handler, like Jerry Jones did with Pac Man, lol.
Share 49ersWebzone