LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 289 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Ian Williams just went off on twitter about all the fans and media talking s**t about his teammates

Simple solution, Ian: Stop breaking the frickin law!!!!!!!

While Aldon was getting arrested for the fortieth time, JJWatt was preparing to host his second annual JJWatt Charity Classic, which is a big event in Houston , donating money to local schools for after school programs. There are tons of good guys in the league doing great things off the field.

Why anyone on this board would support this loser at this point is shocking. Such is the blindness to team loyalty.

What do I tell my young boys about our team? I want my kids growing up cheering for great players who make you proud of your community, not a bunch of felons.

LOL. You just can't help yourself to when it comes pumping up Watt any chance you get, especially when it comes to Aldon, as if you discovered this rare talent known as Watt. Rather pathetic actually. Make sure you puff out that chest of yours a little more my man

Oh lordy, lordy, what will he tell his young boys??!!! Here's a suggestion: tell them that they should respect and have appreciation for excellence in sports, scholarship, arts and science and for people who have tremendous talent, but it's not necessarily wise to idolize them personally because you don't really know them. Foster in them an appreciation for the reality of life which is that things are in shades of gray and very seldom in black and white. How's that?
I say we need to consider cutting Aldon Smith to send a message to the rest of the team. Just my $0.02. I would hate for that to happen but we already tried to help Aldon. We are not going to jeopardize the well being of a team or locker room for one guy. This is football and no one players is greater than the rest. If the young guys see someone like Aldon get cut due to his million of run ins with the law then it sends a deep message. Still not 100% sold on this though
You know, I'm tired of reading about Aldon in the news too. But, really, this whole thing sounds pretty bogus. If Granny Fanny Nestlroad says she has a bomb the security guard chuckles and sends her on her way. But when there's 5 figures of tmz money to get mr gang related in a bad situation you bet that will make the airwaves.
Originally posted by crake49:
Oh lordy, lordy, what will he tell his young boys??!!! Here's a suggestion: tell them that they should respect and have appreciation for excellence in sports, scholarship, arts and science and for people who have tremendous talent, but it's not necessarily wise to idolize them personally because you don't really know them. Foster in them an appreciation for the reality of life which is that things are in shades of gray and very seldom in black and white. How's that?

+1
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
You know, I'm tired of reading about Aldon in the news too. But, really, this whole thing sounds pretty bogus. If Granny Fanny Nestlroad says she has a bomb the security guard chuckles and sends her on her way. But when there's 5 figures of tmz money to get mr gang related in a bad situation you bet that will make the airwaves.

the flip side is if you know you're dealing with over zealous media looking for anything to hang on, why give them any ammo what so ever? at some point common sense has to factor into the equation. when you're walking on thin ice already maybe keep your little i have a bomb comment to yourself.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by drakan:
If he really told the TSA agent that he had a bomb, that is a felony plus it would land him on the no fly list.

he'll end up taking the madden bus to games

"Aldon did not practice Wednesday because he is currently travelling to St Louis via party bus."
the flip side is if you know you're dealing with over zealous media looking for anything to hang on, why give them any ammo what so ever? at some point common sense has to factor into the equation. when you're walking on thin ice already maybe keep your little i have a bomb comment to yourself.

Sure, but stupid is one thing, feloneous is another. This is poor judgement getting totally blown up out of proportion. I think this is actually going to come back around on lax security if they can't show that he physically resisted or threatened an officer. It's looking to me like his level of uncooperativeness stops at being a smart aleck. LAPD will cuff people for that -- I'm surprised that LAX is showing the same mentality.
Originally posted by Redeemer:

While Aldon was getting arrested for the fortieth time, JJWatt was preparing to host his second annual JJWatt Charity Classic, which is a big event in Houston , donating money to local schools for after school programs. There are tons of good guys in the league doing great things off the field.

Why anyone on this board would support this loser at this point is shocking. Such is the blindness to team loyalty.

What do I tell my young boys about our team? I want my kids growing up cheering for great players who make you proud of your community, not a bunch of felons.

Because he's a Niner, extremely talented, and we want him to succeed. No one is claiming he's a saint, or has shown good judgment, but we're not ready kick him to the curb because he's made mistakes. I'll support whatever the team decides to do, and I'll support Aldon until he is no longer a 49er.

Yeah. Unless he did something really serious like killed someone or sexually assaulted someone, I support Aldon and the 49ers and hope that Aldon gets better. I still think he's an idiot, but I am rooting for him to turn things around for his sake and also because this team really needs him.
In fact, the more you think about this situation the more ridiculous it seems. Security knew it was Aldon. SO they obviously knew that there was no chance he actually had a real bomb, right? Did they ask him again if he was serious? Because they would have to arrest him if he was? What does the rule book say about that? I'm sure anyone who claims to have a bomb is eligible for arrest. But I also bet there are allowances for officers to conduct follow up investigation.

Was that done?
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Redeemer:

Because he's a Niner, extremely talented, and we want him to succeed. No one is claiming he's a saint, or has shown good judgment, but we're not ready kick him to the curb because he's made mistakes. I'll support whatever the team decides to do, and I'll support Aldon until he is no longer a 49er.

Respect MadDog's opinion, but he never liked the Aldon pick and always wanted Watt over him. The reality is Watt is not a member of this team, and I don't know why he was even mentioned. Aldon is a 49er, extremely talented, and they should explore all avenues to try and help him stay with this team. No reason why he can't succeed as a 49er.

The same people in the media saying they need to cut him to "send a message", are the same people who will be praising him and his next team when he gets back to dominating on the field, while bashing us for letting him go. The media is fickle. You don't cut a player to win points with the media. Those people don't care about the team, they just want to flood the airwaves until the 49ers cut him.

Excellent point. I understand being frustrated with this situation but there's absolutely nothing to gain cutting a player of Aldon's caliber. I like winning far more than gaining the approval buffoons like Skip Bayless, Florio and his guys at PFT, TMZ, and other media talking heads. You're absolutely right, everyone screaming to cut Aldon would be the same ones giving Baalke and the FO hell for getting ridding of him while he's balling out for some other team (while we get worse).

What he allegedly said, it was certainly stupid and moronic but it sounds more like he said it sarcastically out of annoyance and frustration being randomly singled out by the TSA agents. As long as charges aren't pressed, thus (hopefully) Goodell won't find reason to give him a severe suspension...

Sure, but stupid is one thing, feloneous is another. This is poor judgement getting totally blown up out of proportion. I think this is actually going to come back around on lax security if they can't show that he physically resisted or threatened an officer. It's looking to me like his level of uncooperativeness stops at being a smart aleck. LAPD will cuff people for that -- I'm surprised that LAX is showing the same mentality.

thats the type of stuff u say for someone like vernon davis or patrick willis who hasnt ever been in legal trouble as a pro. if you're up on felony gun charges you should just keep your mouth shut, and if you choose not to you cant be taken a back when somebody doesnt think its a sarcastic comment.
No disrespect, but I'm glad you are not a lawyer. Each case is separate, the gun charges haven't been adjudicated yet, and this has no bearing on saying stupid stuff that gets intentionally blown out of proportion by security guards looking to supplement their 50K/year jobs.

I am down on bad behavior too, but what Brooks did over the summer sounds way more serious than this. Just as an example, I don't want get into that again.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
LOL @ this thread

So much
No disrespect, but I'm glad you are not a lawyer. Each case is separate, the gun charges haven't been adjudicated yet, and this has no bearing on saying stupid stuff that gets intentionally blown out of proportion by security guards looking to supplement their 50K/year jobs.

I am down on bad behavior too, but what Brooks did over the summer sounds way more serious than this. Just as an example, I don't want get into that again.

of course they are separate. but you just said they obviously knew it was aldon. if they know of aldon chances are they know of some of his past transgressions, throw in his dumb sarcastic comment and they're likely to take it pretty seriously, much more so than if you had a random nfl player who is clean as a whistle off of the field.
https

Share 49ersWebzone