LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by kray28:
Prescription for Aldon Smith:

1. Get a good lawyer...these charges sound like they can be beaten.

2. Grow the f**k up.

This kid has some serious problems. I'm not sure this is going to wind up being about all of us focusing on "fixing it" and getting him back on the field.
Originally posted by sdniner:
/End career/thread

this
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
/End career/thread

this

Doubt it.
Everyone needs to relax. We've known about these charges for weeks now. His career is not over. He's definitely going to be suspended -- probably next year -- but his career is not done.
Originally posted by theduke85:
Everyone needs to relax. We've known about these charges for weeks now. His career is not over. He's definitely going to be suspended -- probably next year -- but his career is not done.

This.
Originally posted by real9erfan:
/End career/thread

this

Doubt it.

I'm now i'm just over reacting. It what i do.
Dudes career has gone off the rails at this point, so much ridiculous talent, so many dumb decisions to screw it all up. If hes convicted, he is done in the NFL.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Mayebe he had them shipped by the dealer?

i guess so. I wasn't aware you could just ship assault rifles across state lines

If its a long gun, its legal to mail it to yourself. Handguns must be from a FFL holder to another FFL holder. The USPS doesnt like to publicize this, but I've shipped my long guns to myself before. Ask the Feds, theyll tell you its fine. If its fully automatic, thats a whole new world, those are some confusing ass laws.

Now the problem here is, he lives in California. You have some bizarre gun laws out there. No dealer in his right mind would ship them directly to Aldon, that would be a federal offense. FFL dealers can only ship to FFL dealers. Granted there are a pile of different licenses out there depending on the type of firearm, but there is no way these rifles were shipped to a private residence, I seriously doubt Aldon has any sort of FFL. Someone had to pick them up, then drive them back, thats the only way this could have happened, unless he shipped him to himself, which I would find highly unlikely with the gun laws out there.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
knowingly buying and bringing home those rifles is clear-cut violation of law. i don't see it as easy to beat. it looks like easy to convict to me.
Originally posted by frozen49er:
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/49ers-Aldon-Smith-Faces-Felony-Weapons-Charges-DA-227093931.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_BAYBrand

Prosecutors on Wednesday said Smith is expected to "self-surrender" later this month on charges that he had illegal weapons, which, according to documents, were bought in Arizona in 2011 -- days before the 49ers played the Arizona Cardinals in December of that year. In most cases, certain types of assault weapons cannot be legally bought in Arizona by California residents or possessed in California at all, according to District Attorney Jeff Rosen.

Ammunition, magazines, and five rifles including -- an Armalite AR10-T .308 caliber rifle, a Bushmaster ACR rifle chambered for 5.56mm NATO and a Bushmaster Carbon-15 .223 caliber -- were found in Smith's home by Santa Clara County Sheriff's deputies following the June 29 party last year, and prosecutors said none of the weapons were registered with the California Department of Justice.

I own every firearm on that list. Thankfully, I dont live in Cali. Dumb laws.

You do?

I'm a gun collector. Hobby of mine. Its why I avoid the West Coast.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Dudes career has gone off the rails at this point, so much ridiculous talent, so many dumb decisions to screw it all up. If hes convicted, he is done in the NFL.
No he's not. Plaxico Burress went to a prison and still got signed when he got out, and that was in the twilight of his career. I guarantee you a player of Smith's caliber -- especially at his age -- would be given a shot after a hypothetical prison stint.
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Mayebe he had them shipped by the dealer?

i guess so. I wasn't aware you could just ship assault rifles across state lines

If its a long gun, its legal to mail it to yourself. Handguns must be from a FFL holder to another FFL holder. The USPS doesnt like to publicize this, but I've shipped my long guns to myself before. Ask the Feds, theyll tell you its fine. If its fully automatic, thats a whole new world, those are some confusing ass laws.

Now the problem here is, he lives in California. You have some bizarre gun laws out there. No dealer in his right mind would ship them directly to Aldon, that would be a federal offense. FFL dealers can only ship to FFL dealers. Granted there are a pile of different licenses out there depending on the type of firearm, but there is no way these rifles were shipped to a private residence, I seriously doubt Aldon has any sort of FFL. Someone had to pick them up, then drive them back, thats the only way this could have happened, unless he shipped him to himself, which I would find highly unlikely with the gun laws out there.

He's dumb enough to do it.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
I'm just going to expect the worse to help me cope.

Go, Lemonier, go!

+1

Maybe, even if he serves a 4 year term, he'd probably get probation at 2 years, and would be available for work-release.

But it would take a team willing to take a chance on him, which I'm sure there would be.

What it does mean is that Aldon Smith will no longer be in the long-term financial plans for this team.

Aldon what a waste buddy, what a waste!
[ Edited by NinerBuff on Oct 9, 2013 at 1:54 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Maybe, even if he serves a 4 year term, he'd probably get probation at 2 years, and would be available for work-release.

But it would take a team willing to take a chance on him, which I'm sure there would be.

What it does mean is that Aldon Smith will no longer be in the long-term financial plans for this team.

Aldon what a waste buddy, what a waste!

Share 49ersWebzone