There are 180 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

You don't understand alcoholism at all and make a lot of excuses for the guy. You don't have to be drunk all the time to be an alcoholic. You can do it sometimes and still be out of control. And bad decision making is a huge part of alcoholism. I don't see how he could make a bad decision to get in his car and drive sober?....

I am doing the opposite of making excuses. I am saying that their is not an excuse for driving drunk. Calling him an "alcoholic", when the real problem is DUI IS the definition of "excuse".

Please inform me about "alcoholism" if you would. I would love to know why Ahmad Brooks is not an "alcoholic" and sitting right next to Aldon in the same program, and Aldon is. Driving a car while intoxicated makes you an "alcoholic", while beating someone over the head with a glass bottle makes you a perfectly normal non-alcoholic. Please explain the difference to me.
BrianGO,

Yesterday I said I was "disgusted" by your other post, but didn't see this post you made shortly after the one I was referring to. I think this view is a lot more reasonable and that you are posing legitimately questions here. Wasn't trying to blow my fuse yesterday, it was just sort of a knee-jerk reaction when I first saw your post. So anyway, sorry about calling you ignorant, that was childish and unnecessary.

Now, here's the thing: I don't know if Smith is really an alcoholic or not. None of us know that. However, earlier you mentioned that alcoholics "lock themselves in an apartment full of Vodka and don't come out for weeks", and that if Aldon had a drinking problem, he would "be late to practice, look lethargic, oversleep etc". I will echo others when I say that is simply not true. Aldon certainly could be an alcoholic, and if he is, he is likely a High-Functioning Alcoholic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-functioning_alcoholic).

Here are some characteristics that HFA's exhibit (per the Wiki page):

• "Well respected for job/academic performance and accomplishments" [Pro Bowler, historically-great sack rates]"
  • Appear to the outside world to be managing life well" [aside from the party / DUI, he seemed to be fine]"
  • Skilled at living a compartmentalized life (i.e., separating professional, personal and drinking lives)"

Now, let me state this again: I don't know if Aldon is an alcoholic or not. But one thing is for sure: just because his professional history isn't plagued with alcohol-related incidents (missing practice, showing up drunk, etc) in no way precludes him from being an alcoholic. It is entirely possible that he has a legitimate problem that he is able to mask while in a professional environment (i.e, he could still very-well be a high-functioning alcoholic).

Let's look at the guy's history again:
  • DUI in Miami in 2012 (reduced to Reckless Driving charge after agreeing to take alcohol education classes)
  • Fired gun shots into the air at a party he held last summer (he was almost assuredly drunk)
  • Charged with DUI a few weeks ago after crashing car into a tree with a BAC twice the legal limit

Look at that above list, and read this definition: "alcohol abuse is a psychiatric diagnosis describing the recurring use of alcoholic beverages despite its negative consequences." It's possible that he does not have a chemical addiction to alcohol. However, he evidently does not exhibit self-control when he drinks, but continues to do so anyway. Maybe he keeps drinking because he's young and stupid (which is what you're arguing, I think); maybe he keeps drinking because he has a psychological urge to do so. I think it's probably some combination of the two.

So, to answer your question, it's more than just Aldon making bad decisions. It's making bad decisions while drunk. And he's continuing to drink and making bad decisions over and over against despite the serious trouble he's found himself in. Given all we know about Smith and alcoholism and related conditions, I think it's a tad bit cynical to scoff at the notion of him having a drinking problem -- especially since he agreed to voluntarily enter substance abuse rehab (is that just a facade? a dog and pony show to appease Goodell? He's probably going to be suspended in addition to this anyway, so that explanation would make very little sense).

(mods: not trying to derail the thread. Just wanted to clarify to BrianGO what I meant, and I think it's only fair that I publicly clarify since I originally publicly lashed out in front of everyone )
[ Edited by theduke85 on Oct 5, 2013 at 11:14 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by titan:
Aldon cured yet? Can't wait till his back on the field.

Depends how long the rehab is. I'm figuring at the end of the month.
Knowing Goodell, he'll probably suspend Aldon for four games as soon as he returns.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IMnotsoHO:
Knowing Goodell, he'll probably suspend Aldon for four games as soon as he returns.

The 9ers are expecting it. Beat writers have all said that the NFL is likely to suspend him 2-4 games when he returns.
I think he deserves it, too. I mean, as a Niners fan it sucks that we'll be without him for even more games, but objectively I do think it's the appropriate action for Goodell to take.
Originally posted by sfout:

The 9ers are expecting it. Beat writers have all said that the NFL is likely to suspend him 2-4 games when he returns.

That's stupid. He's already missing games. It should count for something that he's getting help.
Originally posted by niners94:

That's stupid. He's already missing games. It should count for something that he's getting help.
Agreed. It would be ridiculous to suspend him on top of the time he missed. Like our court system, he should get credit for time served. The suspension handed out by the league should just be a formality. If not, I'm going to be beyond pissed. I don't see how someone could see it any other way.

BTW, if the league hasn't suspended him already, what are they waiting for?
[ Edited by IMnotsoHO on Oct 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM ]

I disagree. For starters, Smith is still receiving full paychecks while he is away from the team. In reality, the team is not treating it is as a punishment, but rather a supported leave of absence to help him recover.

I think rehab will help lessen the eventual sentence from the league office, and that they will take notice and be appreciative of it. However, that doesn't change the fact that he's had three serious run-ins with the law (one DUI, one reduced DUI, the outrageous behavior at his party/illegal gun possession), and I think he needs to be punished for those -- both in game eligibility and in his wallet.

My guess is he gets 2 games when he comes back. He would probably have been looking at 4-6 if it weren't for the rehab.
They could just dock him pay for the games and count the time in rehab games as his games missed.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
They could just dock him pay for the games and count the time in rehab games as his games missed.
Possibly. But that screams of something that the NFL Players Union would have a fit with.

Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Possibly. But that screams of something that the NFL Players Union would have a fit with.

How about a fine?

Agreed. It would be ridiculous to suspend him on top of the time he missed. Like our court system, he should get credit for time served. The suspension handed out by the league should just be a formality. If not, I'm going to be beyond pissed. I don't see how someone could see it any other way.

as is reported multiple times, they're waiting for the legal process to play itself out, or at least be a little further along in the process before they decide on anything.
Time served comes to mind
Originally posted by crabman82:

as is reported multiple times, they're waiting for the legal process to play itself out, or at least be a little further along in the process before they decide on anything.

Yup. No point in taking action before the legal process has played out. Better to wait so they can hand out the appropriate length of suspension,
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by crabman82:

Yup. No point in taking action before the legal process has played out. Better to wait so they can hand out the appropriate length of suspension,

His suspension should not be any different than Marshawn Lynch. The league is waiting for the legal process to do its thing as they should with Aldon. His time served should factor in as well
Share 49ersWebzone