There are 154 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

• dj43
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Again, let's dial down the drama. He got drunk. He was carrying pot. He stayed out late. He should have called a cab. He didn't. He's obviously an idiot when he's had a few drinks. I've actually known quite a few people about whom I could say the same thing. As with many other cases such as this in the league, the NFL will punish him. As with the case of Marshawn Lynch, the punishment will probably come after court proceedings are concluded. If they jump the gun on court proceedings, the NFL players association will jump in and defend Smith saying he hasn't been convicted yet of anything. That seems to be the way these things work. I expect Smith to play the rest of the season and be suspended for some number of games next season. And, that's exactly what I expect will happen to Marshawn Lynch as well.

Pointing all of this out is not "prostituting yourself." It's not exhibiting hypocrisy. It's not excusing his reckless and illegal behavior. It's simply stating the facts and recognizing reality.

If this were Smith's first bad choice, I would agree with all you said. It isn't.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
You value the outcome of a game more than a human life, or other possible victims lives? Do I have that right? That is not the Planet Earth I want to be welcomed to.

Plus, you are making my point for me about a multi million dollar business. Image is as important as anything else ... as I am sure Goodell will remind Mr. Smith.

No. You're not even within shouting distance of right. And, where did you ever get the idea that image is as important as everything else? I'm not sure how anyone could come to that conclusion when discussing the NFL. Clearly, in the NFL, WINNING is really all that matters. Everything else is a distant second at best. Exhibits A, B and C: Ray Lewis, Michael Vick, Ben Rothlesberger.
Originally posted by dj43:
If this were Smith's first bad choice, I would agree with all you said. It isn't.

That last DUI wasn't Lynch's first bad choice either. I still don't even begin to get why some of you guys think the Niners should play by a different set of rules than the Seahawks do. If the NFL is going to allow Marshawn Lynch to play an entire season while he is accused of a DUI (his second, along with a four-game suspension for violating NFL rules on handguns and let's add a woman accusing him of attacking and hitting her) why doesn't Aldon Smith get to play while the NFL waits to deliver his punishment at the correct time after he has been convicted of something?

And, a lot of you are bringing up these civil complaints about firing guns and knives - none of you have any idea what really happened and you don't seem to be taking into account that fact that a young man with a potential multi-million dollar contract is seen as a big fat paycheck to people trying to gin up some kind of complaint to go to the bank off of him.

That last DUI wasn't Lynch's first bad choice either. I still don't even begin to get why some of you guys think the Niners should play by a different set of rules than the Seahawks do. If the NFL is going to allow Marshawn Lynch to play an entire season while he is accused of a DUI (his second, along with a four-game suspension for violating NFL rules on handguns and let's add a woman accusing him of attacking and hitting her) why doesn't Aldon Smith get to play while the NFL waits to deliver his punishment at the correct time after he has been convicted of something?

And, a lot of you are bringing up these civil complaints about firing guns and knives - none of you have any idea what really happened and you don't seem to be taking into account that fact that a young man with a potential multi-million dollar contract is seen as a big fat paycheck to people trying to gin up some kind of complaint to go to the bank off of him.

i think lynch has only 1 dui as a pro and his suspension was for 3 games not 4.

See, now here I agree with you. The State and/or the NFL will eventually deal with Aldon Smith. Re: him being a "target" as a payday, also true. BUT, don't lose sight of the fact these ARE the EXACT kind of things the NFL does explain to players, and I'm sure others (teammates, business advisors, etc.) have warned Smith about this...so it's still HIM putting himself in those situations, being around the kind of people who won't think twice about trying to cash in your a**.

It's why I read with bemusement all the trouble athletes, usually NBA/NFL players, get into at "clubs". Yeah, I get it, young guys loaded with cash, lotsa hot a** in these places...but they seem to have a tough time asking--and honestly answering--is it really worth it?
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
You value the outcome of a game more than a human life, or other possible victims lives? Do I have that right? That is not the Planet Earth I want to be welcomed to.

Plus, you are making my point for me about a multi million dollar business. Image is as important as anything else ... as I am sure Goodell will remind Mr. Smith.

No. You're not even within shouting distance of right. And, where did you ever get the idea that image is as important as everything else? I'm not sure how anyone could come to that conclusion when discussing the NFL. Clearly, in the NFL, WINNING is really all that matters. Everything else is a distant second at best. Exhibits A, B and C: Ray Lewis, Michael Vick, Ben Rothlesberger.

Winning is important to the teams, image is important to the NFL. Just saying the 49ers could have done the right thing here, regardless of what other teams do. You and I are not going to agree on this, so no sense in arguing. If a win is more important that a person being a productive member of society, then our priorities are WAY out of whack.
That last DUI wasn't Lynch's first bad choice either. I still don't even begin to get why some of you guys think the Niners should play by a different set of rules than the Seahawks do.

This has nothing to do with the Seahawks. It is obvious that organization will lie, cheat, steal and maim to win. Is that the standard you want the 49ers to aspire to?
Originally posted by crabman82:
i think lynch has only 1 dui as a pro and his suspension was for 3 games not 4.

Thanks for the correction, but the point still stands. He hasn't missed a game. There is nobody who expects him to miss any games until the NFL rules on his DUI. The NFL will not rule on his DUI until he is actually CONVICTED of DUI.

Look, high-horse judgement-hounds are going to get their wishes - Aldon Smith will be suspended. You can count on it. And, when he sits out for three or four games, you can all give yourselves high-fives. I'm sure it will be a great life lesson for young Aldon! But, you're probably going to have to wait until next season for that wonderful feeling of moral superiority. Too bad about that. I suggest that Niner fans move on.

And please. No more knee-jerk assumptions about my perceptions on drunk driving. I almost lost my wife to a drunk driver. I have no sympathy for drunk drivers. But, I also have very little patience for holier-than-thou judgmental moralizing.
Guy hasn't been convicted of anything yet folks want him out of the next game. Wow! Why don't we take a moment and not just react. If he should be suspended we need to suspend any niner who had any legal issue from last January up to today. Maybe kick all the players who have ever been arrested out of the NFL? That would make a statement!

The guy has a serious problem and it should be treated as such. But if I remember correctly, he hasn't hurt anyone in any of his incidents. But Brooks has hurt a team mate...hmmm...
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
See, now here I agree with you. The State and/or the NFL will eventually deal with Aldon Smith. Re: him being a "target" as a payday, also true. BUT, don't lose sight of the fact these ARE the EXACT kind of things the NFL does explain to players, and I'm sure others (teammates, business advisors, etc.) have warned Smith about this...so it's still HIM putting himself in those situations, being around the kind of people who won't think twice about trying to cash in your a**.

It's why I read with bemusement all the trouble athletes, usually NBA/NFL players, get into at "clubs". Yeah, I get it, young guys loaded with cash, lotsa hot a** in these places...but they seem to have a tough time asking--and honestly answering--is it really worth it?

There are few things I find that are more annoying and frustrating to me than athletes who have been given the tremendous fortune of being in the big leagues and then screwing it all up with their own personal baggage. It's just mind boggling to me that you could be looking at millions of dollars to play a game you love and not appreciate that gift enough to do the right thing and live the right way. This is one reason I always greatly appreciate the athletes who work hard and are good citizens. How can you not appreciate an athlete like Alex Smith who is just an all around good citizen or one like Colin Kaepernick who works his ass off every day of the week to get better and stays out of trouble? Or, a guy like Frank Gore, who takes care of his family or the Cowboy, who just goes about his business?

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Guy hasn't been convicted of anything yet folks want him out of the next game. Wow! Why don't we take a moment and not just react. If he should be suspended we need to suspend any niner who had any legal issue from last January up to today. Maybe kick all the players who have ever been arrested out of the NFL? That would make a statement!

The guy has a serious problem and it should be treated as such. But if I remember correctly, he hasn't hurt anyone in any of his incidents. But Brooks has hurt a team mate...hmmm...

Thank you. Can we just relax a little, lay off the drama, and let the system work. It will work. He'll be suspended. You can count on it.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I'm starting to think maybe JJ Watt would have been a better pick. He' just as good of a player if not even 5% better. He gives you 0% trouble. Aldon is a lot of headaches and he is now going to lead to suspensions. He can't help us suspended. He's going to cost us this season. We may lose games for this. His act is getting old at tired at this point....

he wont likely be suspended this season...

Why is it better if he is suspended next season? That still hurts us. It's still stupid knucklehead behavior that is costing the team.
  • dj43

My main point has nothing to do with any other player or team. I am simply saying the 49ers need to look at Aldon Smith uniquely and do whatever they believe needs to be done to get him straightened out. He isn't Lynch. He is a different guy. Waiting for the league to take action may only delay the time when Smith finally gets it about how he needs to live his life.

Of course none of us know what may have already transpired but it clearly is a situation that needs to be resolved and just business as usual will not get it done, IMO.

With that, I have a tee time. Later.
[ Edited by dj43 on Sep 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM ]
And people were giving me s**t a couple weeks ago when I said Aldon seemed like kind of a thug...
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Why is it better if he is suspended next season? That still hurts us. It's still stupid knucklehead behavior that is costing the team.

It's not necessarily better at all. It's just the way things seem to work these days. The NFL waits for court proceedings to conclude and then issues its ruling.
Share 49ersWebzone