LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 252 users in the forums

Is all the talk about concussions a tad over-exaggerated?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Is all the talk about concussions a tad over-exaggerated?

Originally posted by tjd808185:
I don't think the problem is exaggerated but outside of putting skirts on them there's not much else they can do. I've seen conflicting reports on the average lifespan of NFL players. According to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health NFL players live longer than the average american due to their lack of smoking. Less cancer related deaths. Heart disease is an issue but statisically only a problem to guys with a high body mass index which could be a growing problem in today's NFL. I'm not even sure it is conflicting data though because the more I look into the more I see that 55 number is just something the NFLPA threw out there. According to the same study suicide rate is at 59% of the national average, but It should be noted that this is a study on guys from 55-84 so maybe things have changed and escalated with the game.

There have been tremendous improvements in equipment, medical treatment, and rule changes to prevent all types of injuries. If you think they should wear dresses I don't see how it will help but...whatever! I would agree that this is a complex problem that is not likely to be completely eliminated, but they should continue trying.

Much of the problem is macho attitude that keeps players from being honest, and it is worse at younger ages. HS kids do not want to miss games, but they do not have access to the training and medical staffs of the NFL. People are foolish at times with their own safety.

The rule against hitting unprotected players is partly a result of the D Stingley injury. And it has likely saved many players from serious injury. The Stingley case was similar to Bounty Gate, as the Raider players competed for hurting opponents. This attitude has no place in sports...but is human nature to some extent. That means organizations have to guard against it.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
There have been tremendous improvements in equipment, medical treatment, and rule changes to prevent all types of injuries. If you think they should wear dresses I don't see how it will help but...whatever! I would agree that this is a complex problem that is not likely to be completely eliminated, but they should continue trying.

Much of the problem is macho attitude that keeps players from being honest, and it is worse at younger ages. HS kids do not want to miss games, but they do not have access to the training and medical staffs of the NFL. People are foolish at times with their own safety.

The rule against hitting unprotected players is partly a result of the D Stingley injury. And it has likely saved many players from serious injury. The Stingley case was similar to Bounty Gate, as the Raider players competed for hurting opponents. This attitude has no place in sports...but is human nature to some extent. That means organizations have to guard against it.

My point is they are focusing on preventing head injuries now. I'm not sure what else they can do it will remain a part of the game as long as there's contact.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Nobody is forcing these guys to play the game. They know the risks and are very well compensated for it so they need to quit pussifying the game

this
The NFL has a problem with the demotion of Smith and Vick in that their demotions game shortly after injury. If Smith had not reported his concussion he might have managed to get through the whole game on auto pilot and kept CK on the bench. He decided to report it and we know what has happened. Vick is less successful this year so it is less an issue in his case.

I would love to be the attorney next time negotiations come up. Another chip for players. But, I do agree this will not be solved without banning all contact...making it flag football. I loved playing flag football...but come to think of it...there is contact in flag football, or at least the way my junior high team played it.
I love it when I hear that football is dying because of concussions. People forget the social economics attached to the football machine (High School - NCAA - NFL). Although people from all walks of life play football, the players who make it to the higher levels more often than not are African Americans from lower income communities. This is because the rewards far out weigh the risk, also when the going gets tough the rich kids will quit and go work for daddy.

Football isn't going anywhere as long as players get paid a kings ransom to play the game. Rich kids like the Manning boys and Johnny Football may be on the decline but if you look at the big picture they have always been on the decline. Since the 60's football much like boxing has become a poor mans sport. But unlike boxing there is a lot of money in football, on all levels.

I crack up when I see the private high schools going bizerk while recruiting (or in their words: attracting) lower income African American football players. Same with the college football programs. Alabama and LSU aren't feeling the shortage of lower income Black players lining up to play in the big bad SEC.

All of these leagues love to highlight the poor black player they beat all the odds to make it on the football field and then they turn around and tell us that football is being threatened by concussion research. In certain communities a concussion on the football field wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen to a teenager. Not every community is driven by research. So the next time you hear about the dangers of football, I want you to look at reruns of Friday Night Tykes. Why didn't the cameraman stop those violent blows to the heads of those young men? As long as there is money and an audience, there will be tackle football.
Share 49ersWebzone