There are 116 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is all the talk about concussions a tad over-exaggerated?

Is all the talk about concussions a tad over-exaggerated?

Anyone that has had their bell rung a few times laugh when they think the problem is being exaggerated.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Anyone that has had their bell rung a few times laugh when they think the problem is being exaggerated.

This. Kiss Pee Wee football goodbye...
Originally posted by English:
Ow many suicides would it take to convince you?

But yes, wearing helmets and padding and so forth is really p***yfied. Real men ought to be prepared to get knocked stupid and brain damaged to please the masses.

One million football players, one hundred commit suicide, One million postal workers, one hundred commit suicide, the mail should be stopped now
Originally posted by 49erSooner:
One million football players, one hundred commit suicide, One million postal workers, one hundred commit suicide, the mail should be stopped now

The average lifespan of an NFL player is 55, insurance companies target it at 51. An NFL player has a better than 52% chance of heart disease. Show some stats before you can be taken seriously.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by 49erSooner:
One million football players, one hundred commit suicide, One million postal workers, one hundred commit suicide, the mail should be stopped now

The average lifespan of an NFL player is 55, insurance companies target it at 51. An NFL player has a better than 52% chance of heart disease. Show some stats before you can be taken seriously.



So we agree? lol
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by 49erSooner:
One million football players, one hundred commit suicide, One million postal workers, one hundred commit suicide, the mail should be stopped now

The average lifespan of an NFL player is 55, insurance companies target it at 51. An NFL player has a better than 52% chance of heart disease. Show some stats before you can be taken seriously.



So we agree? lol




GO
[ Edited by 49erSooner on May 31, 2012 at 8:55 PM ]
Not exaggerated at all
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
So you're telling me that these guys don't understand by hitting someone or being hit by someone else full speed that it could have a lasting impact?

They know they are putting their health at risk, but only in recent years are we finding out as to what degree. And the head is something we're learning new things about every day. For years, players were rushed back from concussions by coaches, teammates and team doctors. If guys knew that thanks to multiple concussions they were subjecting themselves to things like early demensia, ALS, severe depression etc some might have taken a different approach to their career. As well its one thing to think about having health risks late in life. Many of these players are experiencing these serious side effects in their 40s and early 50s. I don't think many players, especially from yester-year, expected that.
[ Edited by Druckenmiller14 on May 31, 2012 at 10:38 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erSooner:


So we agree? lol




GO

No I don't agree. The rapid deterioration of the body has with it inherent mental disorders due to physical and emotional trauma . Now we add in pain medication that has been prescribed for many years and the delicate mental balance is gone. The NFL player burns out quickly. Is it worth it? While they're playing of course, afterwards probably not. They do it by their own free will. The whole matter comes down to a compensation issue, does the NFL owe these players after they are retired. The only way these players will have their medical issues covered is through the courts. The NFL is prepared to spend billions, which in the long run will be cheap if they lose in the courts. Once kids are not allowed to play ball because their parents are concerned about the injury factor the game could go down quickly. I played some ball many years ago and was clocked on one play, I had double vision for a week. My playing days came to a halt, my parents would not let me take the field again.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/01/us/lester-hayes-nfl/index.html?hpt=hp_abar
Originally posted by SportsFan:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/01/us/lester-hayes-nfl/index.html?hpt=hp_abar

Interesting article. He's right. The game is much safer today than it was back in the old days. The NFL should be applauded for this. They're trying to make the NFL as safe as possible without changing the game.

Ex-players are seeing dollar signs right now and jumping on the bandwagon with all their injuries. They knew the risks involved. They knew it was a tough game. Like the article they argued with doctors to be on the field. These injuries are the cons of their choice. However, they've had tons of pros like being made the big bucks. Nobody twisted their arm or deceived them. They just want to cash in.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by 49erSooner:
One million football players, one hundred commit suicide, One million postal workers, one hundred commit suicide, the mail should be stopped now

The average lifespan of an NFL player is 55, insurance companies target it at 51. An NFL player has a better than 52% chance of heart disease. Show some stats before you can be taken seriously.

Then don't be an NFL player. Work behind a desk and give up your millions.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by 49erSooner:
One million football players, one hundred commit suicide, One million postal workers, one hundred commit suicide, the mail should be stopped now

The average lifespan of an NFL player is 55, insurance companies target it at 51. An NFL player has a better than 52% chance of heart disease. Show some stats before you can be taken seriously.

I have a question for you... What's the average lifespan and chance of heart disease of a 315lb person who has never played in the NFL?
Originally posted by Druckenmiller14:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
So you're telling me that these guys don't understand by hitting someone or being hit by someone else full speed that it could have a lasting impact?

They know they are putting their health at risk, but only in recent years are we finding out as to what degree. And the head is something we're learning new things about every day. For years, players were rushed back from concussions by coaches, teammates and team doctors. If guys knew that thanks to multiple concussions they were subjecting themselves to things like early demensia, ALS, severe depression etc some might have taken a different approach to their career. As well its one thing to think about having health risks late in life. Many of these players are experiencing these serious side effects in their 40s and early 50s. I don't think many players, especially from yester-year, expected that.


Then pick another profession
Not over-exagerated. The NFL went from leather helmets for a reason now there needs to be another improvement.
I agree the players know what they are getting into BUT that doesn't mean improving the equipment and testing should be ruled out.

I think the legal issues will force things to change. ust how they'll change, I haven't a clue.
...