There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is all the talk about concussions a tad over-exaggerated?

Is all the talk about concussions a tad over-exaggerated?

Personally, I think the issue should be brought up. However, I think the media is taking it too far. It's a real shame some players have taken their lives and suffer from depression because of it. But there are many players who haven't had such effects with less technologically advanced equipment. Also, these guys who had their brains look at. Something to consider... were they ever in fights? Were they ever involved in an accident outside of sports? Just something to consider.
Nobody is forcing these guys to play the game. They know the risks and are very well compensated for it so they need to quit pussifying the game
Yes. The NFL is driving it to both validate the already softening of the game and lay down foundation for more handicapping of defense rules. The NFL desperately wants 100 pt games, because their target fan base wants 100 pts games.

Honestly I think it is time to call this sport something entirely else. I think real football probably ended even before I started watching in the 80's
I'm not a doctor, but it's my personal opinion that people don't commit suicide because they received several concussions. The furthest I'm willing to go is to say that perhaps the concussions might have exaggerated problems that they already had.

If concussions where were the cause, we'd be seeing a lot more suicides of professional athletes.
Ow many suicides would it take to convince you?

But yes, wearing helmets and padding and so forth is really p***yfied. Real men ought to be prepared to get knocked stupid and brain damaged to please the masses.
Originally posted by English:

But yes, wearing helmets and padding and so forth is really p***yfied. Real men ought to be prepared to get knocked stupid and brain damaged to please the masses.

Enough to prove that the rate of suicide amongst ex football players is more than the rate of suicide among ex accountants

I don't know how many, but it would have to be statistically significant. I wonder how many standard deviations from the mean professional athlete suicides are from other celebrities?

Money and fame exaggerate existing problems as well. Add to it, money => fame => loss of money and fame.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Nobody is forcing these guys to play the game. They know the risks and are very well compensated for it so they need to quit pussifying the game

the issue is that none/few of the players are willing to put that in writing. it is being overblown, but that's only to show the courts that the NFL cares about the wellbeing and safety of their players...........................

If i were the NFL i'd look into programs to help these players understand how to budget their money and plan for possible future problems associated to playing this sport.... of course within the lines of the current CBA.
the talk about it maybe a bit over board, how many times are you gonna shove this down peoples throats? People tune into sports for highlights of games, player movement, team announcements and so on, not this other side of sports. the situation is still very real before the media spot light was on it and after.

I meant that the rules on hitting, anything to do with the QB, and eliminating kick returns. The pads are a non-issue

"they know the risks"

Apparently you haven't been following the story
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

"they know the risks"

Apparently you haven't been following the story

So you're telling me that these guys don't understand by hitting someone or being hit by someone else full speed that it could have a lasting impact?
football is a dangerous these dude knew what they signed up for.
Its not just a football issue but an entire sport issue. The problem is that modern culture is such a sue happy culture that this concussion issue could cripple all contact sports. Is the concussion issue real, Yes , Is it just like the smoking issue, Absolutely , People choose to make the choice to do dangerous activities, if they make that decision and that risk why should they get money for nothing. This issue has a potential to cripple the NFL.
I think the real problem is with support for players after they retire from football. Concussions are a serious injury and measures need to be taken to teach better technique (head up tackling), improve helmet technology, and tighten up rules about when a player can play again after a concussion.

But when these guys retire, they need someone to help them get some direction for the remainder of their lives. Many of them have no idea how to manage finances, get another kind of job, and live like normal people. Many of them should go back to school to finish their educations and need guidance to go that route. This shouldbe mandatory traning for every player.