LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 181 users in the forums

NFL Owners Meetings - what do you think of the changes.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Some of the interesting decisions made at the owners meetings so far are-
1)Trade deadline moved back 2 weeks to week 8
2)1 player who is on IR on each team can return to the roster after the 8th game of the season
3)Thigh and knee pads mandatory as of 2013.

What do you think of the changes.

Personally I like the trade dead line being pushed back as it gives teams more flexibility to see where they are at in the season. I still think it should be pushed back till week 10 So you have a clearer picture of who is in the playoffs and who isn't but at least it is an improvement from Week 6 which was always far to early.

The IR rule I think could be good for players who get injured late in the season or during the off-season. Being able to put them on the IR list and still being able to bring them back could be used to gauge where a star players rehab is going and if it is progressing well you could bring him back for a playoff push. Players like Adrian Peterson and Terrell Suggs are players who could be among the first to have the rule used on them.

The thigh and knee pad rule I am indifferent about. Anything to improve the safety of the game is good but if a player does not feel comfortable in these pads and feels it effects his game maybe he should be able to make the call if he uses them or not.
Agree on all counts. Especially thge trade clause.
those seem like pretty good, sensible changes.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by HessianDud:
those seem like pretty good, sensible changes.

this
Finally some good changes to the game we love!
The leg pads should be mandatory. We all had to wear them in pee wee and HS ball.....I wore them in College as well.

In 15 years when some guy brings a lawsuit because his legs muscles are destroyed or some dumb s**t the league can protect themselves
Thigh pads should be enforced because they actually work.

The knee pads are a joke. Those don't work often and the players will not wear pants long enough for the knee pads to cover the knees the way they should and if they are long enough, the knee pads are never stay in one spot. Unless they redesign the pants with a wrap around the calf area or something to hold the knee pads in place, they are a joke.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Thigh pads should be enforced because they actually work.

The knee pads are a joke. Those don't work often and the players will not wear pants long enough for the knee pads to cover the knees the way they should and if they are long enough, the knee pads are never stay in one spot. Unless they redesign the pants with a wrap around the calf area or something to hold the knee pads in place, they are a joke.

Knee pads also effect your speed because of the awkward fit right on the knee
Some talking heads say the "more pads rule" is disliked by the players because they add extra weight, It seems that the main reason is that they think more Pads
tend to restrict movement and therefore adversely affect a players overall speed. Personally when I played Pee wee and HS ball I was already so slow that nothing could really make me any slower, so i wouldn't know.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by highway49:
Some talking heads say the "more pads rule" is disliked by the players because they add extra weight, It seems that the main reason is that they think more Pads
tend to restrict movement and therefore adversely affect a players overall speed. Personally when I played Pee wee and HS ball I was already so slow that nothing could really make me any slower, so i wouldn't know.

lol

I can believe that it probably slows them down but I'm sure Nike will find a way to make them light and flexible with the protection.

Originally posted by Amir:
Originally posted by highway49:

lol

I can believe that it probably slows them down but I'm sure Nike will find a way to make them light and flexible with the protection.

They said Nike has some new Pads which are meant to be way better than the ones they have now should be ready to go for this years season for players to try out.
The speed aspect is a wash in my book since WRs and CBs would both have the pads. They'd be slowed down equally.
And EASports is b***hing for days because they have to make a code change to move the Madden trade deadline back.... or will they....
Originally posted by niners_guy:
And EASports is b***hing for days because they have to make a code change to move the Madden trade deadline back.... or will they....

You will be able to buy it as an upgrade online so EA Sports can make more money from Madden. Lol
I think the trade deadline should be like week 10
Share 49ersWebzone