There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lions ban Titus Young from OTAs for sucker-punching Louis Delmas

  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by 76Razor:
Originally posted by overthemiddle:
Remember the Boise guy was talking s**t and his team suspended him too. If your gonna talk s**t you better be prepared to defend yourself, he didnt and he got nailed. Too bad for the Boise guy. You all can talk s**t behind your computer and dont have to worry about the hardrive nailing you. In the real world you talk s**t you gonna get nailed and that is just the way life is. If you dont like it dont talk s**t. Man that was a lot of s**t.

so talking s**t in a sporting event should warrant sucker punches? LOL. what a clown. I haven't seen an Internet tough guy in here for a while. welp...here you are.

[lightenupfrancis.gif]

Although punching isn't good, the boise st. player just won and went up to him to celebrate in his face. If you're a competitor, you can understand how lame that move was. Punching him was bad but in the end, both guys learned a lesson.

Wait... so are you saying that the show of poor sportsmanship should be taken into account when judging someone for an act of physical violence? Extenuating circumstances?

Does this only apply to competitors? Do you include all athletes? What about someone playing checkers?

At what point do you draw the line when defending the competitor? Is it just limited to punches? How many? Would you feel compelled to defend the competitor if he stabbed the opponent with a knife?

I'm not just being a smart ass here. I understand that it is a common viewpoint that some non-violent acts are expected to be responded to with violence. I'm just curious if there's an ethical basis for this stance or if you haven't actually thought it out. It's interesting to me how some sentiments are just accepted as reality sometimes.

I probably just think too f**king much.
A cheap shot is a cheap shot - Period.
Originally posted by Howlett49:
Sucker-punching someone is b***h s**t! If you want to throw down with someone, square up with them like a man and at least let them see you coming. If you really got hands you won't need the element of surprise.

Andre Johnson will show him how to fight like a man. Cortland Finnegan knows what I'm talking about.
[ Edited by 49erRider on May 23, 2012 at 6:34 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Although punching isn't good, the boise st. player just won and went up to him to celebrate in his face. If you're a competitor, you can understand how lame that move was. Punching him was bad but in the end, both guys learned a lesson.
Meh, Blount had been talking isht the whole summer leading up to that game, including getting quoted in SI saying they were going to "whoop Boise's ass". Hout said "how was the ass whoopin?". Blount's a chump.
Who's the idiot that gave the lionesses their own "Play60 Bus" commercial?

/epic douchechills
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Wait... so are you saying that the show of poor sportsmanship should be taken into account when judging someone for an act of physical violence? Extenuating circumstances?

Does this only apply to competitors? Do you include all athletes? What about someone playing checkers?

At what point do you draw the line when defending the competitor? Is it just limited to punches? How many? Would you feel compelled to defend the competitor if he stabbed the opponent with a knife?

I'm not just being a smart ass here. I understand that it is a common viewpoint that some non-violent acts are expected to be responded to with violence. I'm just curious if there's an ethical basis for this stance or if you haven't actually thought it out. It's interesting to me how some sentiments are just accepted as reality sometimes.

I probably just think too f**king much.

Yes, even the law looks at extenuating circumstances when charging people for crimes. For example, a murder isn't always murder. There is murder 1, 2, and 3.

For example, if you catch your wife in bed with a guy and kill them both, you have a "heat of passion" defense, and it may get dropped to a murder 2 charge. Now, lets say a guy stalks a couple, breaks in, and kills them for no reason or for money. In the eyes of the law, thats a more egrigios act then killing your wife and her lover in the act. Both acts are bad, but one is worse then the other.

Lets apply it to Blount.

If Blount went out of his way to find the guy and sucker punch him, that is more egregious then a player who came up to him and talked s**t and even made physical contact with him. Blount's emotionally charged knee-jerk reaction was understanable, whereas, hunting down a guy ti punch him isn't as understandable, except that the guy is just rageful and vengeful.

I think going it to the stands was an even stupider move.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jun 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM ]
The Lions' lack of discipline is the reason why they won't win a championship. That, and the fact the 49ers are in the same conference.
  • mike
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,827
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Although punching isn't good, the boise st. player just won and went up to him to celebrate in his face. If you're a competitor, you can understand how lame that move was. Punching him was bad but in the end, both guys learned a lesson.

Sounds like you're saying Jim Schwartz should have sucker punched Harbaugh for celebrating in his face.
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Although punching isn't good, the boise st. player just won and went up to him to celebrate in his face. If you're a competitor, you can understand how lame that move was. Punching him was bad but in the end, both guys learned a lesson.

Sounds like you're saying Jim Schwartz should have sucker punched Harbaugh for celebrating in his face.

How did you come up with that? I said punching was bad but you can understand why Blount did it.

And Shwartz got in JH's face, not the other way around.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jun 16, 2012 at 4:44 PM ]
  • mike
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,827
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
How did you come up with that? I said punching was bad but you can understand why Blount did it.

And Shwartz got in JH's face, not the other way around.

You don't think harbaugh jumping up and down like he just won the superbowl as he walked toward Schwartz, and then overzealously shaking his hand, is celebrating in his face? He pretty much did. JH probably didn't intend to piss schwartz off but from the other guy's perspective that's exactly what he was doing. It's all about perspective.

Schwartz only got in JH's face afterwards.

Don't get me wrong, chasing after JH was a b***h move, but JH was totally rubbing it in schwartz's face too. So like you said, I can understand why Schwartz did it too.