LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 207 users in the forums

Owen Marecic a possible canidate for release

Shop 49ers game tickets
The Niners made their choice and it was a good one. I always thought Marecic was a little soft as a player. Versatile, but never really a thumper. Too bad for Marecic, but I don't think the Niners need him. Miller is the man with Byham, Walker, and Soap backing him up.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on May 20, 2012 at 3:33 PM ]
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Damn we should've took Smelley.

We'd have Looney,Slowey, and Smelley.

BAWSE

Nice - and Staley
This guy really stinks. He is the butt of a lot of jokes here in Cleveland. The reason why he is getting cut is because he is a below average blocker with below average hands.
Originally posted by Hammerthrow99:
"Browns FB Owen Marecic's roster spot could be in jeopardy following the team's selection of Brad Smelley in April's draft.

Marecic is more of a lead blocker, whereas Smelley is a smaller pass-catcher. With Trent Richardson in the fold, the team will want to keep a strong lead blocker in town, but they could unload the incumbent Marecic if Smelley shows he's a capable battering ram. Although it's unlikely, Marecic could be converted to linebacker, a position he played at Stanford."

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6644/owen-marecic

If(BIG IF) this happens, even with BMiller on the roster I still think JH gives him a shot. What are your thoughts?

harbs already said he regretted not being able to take marecic in the draft, so im sure they would go after him
Originally posted by 49erstrandedinclev:
This guy really stinks. He is the butt of a lot of jokes here in Cleveland. The reason why he is getting cut is because he is a below average blocker with below average hands.

Moran Norris approved post
Originally posted by hofer36:
harbs already said he regretted not being able to take marecic in the draft, so im sure they would go after him

maybe he could be a practice squad player.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Originally posted by hofer36:

maybe he could be a practice squad player.

I bet Harbaugh doesn't regret not drafting him now, because Miller outplayed him in every facet last season as a rookie -- and that's while converting positions. It's just plain sad that Marecic didn't do any better. The guy just wasn't that special and I think he was one of those loveable college guys that fans tend to subconsciously overrate.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Harbaugh said they wanted him in the draft last year. And, as it turns out, Miller had the much better season. But you've got to wonder what Marecic might've done in our system under Harbaugh's coaching.

In any case, even if they do release him, and even if we wanted to add another back to an already crowded backfield, he'd still have to clear waivers and get past 29 teams before the 49ers would have a shot.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Damn we should've took Smelley.

We'd have Looney,Slowey, and Smelley.

BAWSE

Nice - and Staley

Might as well sign Justin Smiley out of retirement too.
Share 49ersWebzone