LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Top 100 Players of 2012

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I think Willis should be top def player, but I have a feeling he wont get rated higher than Revis

IMO, CBs are way overrated. You can game plan around the greatest CB, but you can overcome a dominant passrusher or elite MLB. With 3 and 4 wr sets or pass catching TEs, it's my opinion that the "elite CB" is a little less important. Important, but not like the two positions I mentioned.

Like Alex Smith said, he's not worried about the 1st or 2nd match up, its all about the 3rd and 4th wr. We saw that in the NFCC....
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jun 21, 2012 at 4:08 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I think Willis should be top def player, but I have a feeling he wont get rated higher than Revis

IMO, CBs are way overrated. You can game plan around the greatest CB, but you can overcome a dominant passrusher or elite MLB. With 3 and 4 wr sets or pass catching TEs, it's my opinion that the "elite CB" is a little less important. Important, but not like the two positions I mentioned.

Like Alex Smith said, he's not worried about the 1st or 2nd match up, its all about the 3rd and 4th wr. We saw that in the NFCC....

i agree, ball hawking safeties are what secondary's today are looking for. more than CB.

Willis goes over revis i say just because the niners had a better year though.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

i agree, ball hawking safeties are what secondary's today are looking for. more than CB.

Not if Jamie Dukes has his say..... I absolutly can't stand that guy....

That was exactly my reasoning in my thoughts; great 49er fans' minds think alike!
Not if Jamie Dukes has his say..... I absolutly can't stand that guy....

Yeah, im blasting that guy on Total Access just as you were typing it
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I don't think there's any way they have Willis at 4. That's to high for others to rate him. I think it's the QB's at the top, then AP, then Fitz, and then the defensive players to round off the top 10. Willis the top defensive player sounds right.

Keep in mind this is what I think other have rated the players. Not necessarily the order I think they should be ranked.

Probably true, but it is ridiculous for Willis to be after AP. Everytime the two are within ten yards of each other, Willis takes him to the prom and rips his dress.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
My prediction, not my list.

1. Rodgers
2. Brees
3. Brady
4. Ware
5. Johnson
6. Willis
7. Fitz
8. Revis
9. Peterson
10. Ngata
Originally posted by Chief:
My prediction, not my list.

1. Rodgers
2. Brees
3. Brady
4. Ware
5. Johnson
6. Willis
7. Fitz
8. Revis
9. Peterson
10. Ngata

1. Rogers
2. Brees
3. Brady
4. Johnson
5. Revis
6. Peterson
7. Fitz
8. Willis
9. Ware
10. Ngata

I don't agree. There is a big drop off in talent at the CB position. And you have to consider how CBs convert over to safeties when their physical skill diminish through their career.

Playing man in general is for more physically gifted players.

Originally posted by blizzuntz:

I don't agree. There is a big drop off in talent at the CB position. And you have to consider how CBs convert over to safeties when their physical skill diminish through their career.

you can also translate that to, there are a lot of pretenders claiming to be "shutdown corners." agree on that.

my opinion is based on the pass rushing helping the secondary more the other way around.

you can also translate that to, there are a lot of pretenders claiming to be "shutdown corners." agree on that.

my opinion is based on the pass rushing helping the secondary more the other way around.

I agree with everything. Pass rusher is the more valuable, even more than a shutdown corner. I was saying CBs are more valuable than a safety in general. Lots of corners could play Fs and not as much the other way around

That was exactly my reasoning in my thoughts; great 49er fans' minds think alike!
You mean completely biased 49er fans think alike.

You can't game plan for a MLB? Are you serious? LOL. Come on, guys. You can gameplan against anybody, in any position. Willis has been neutralized plenty of times. Justin Smith can be stopped as well, but you'd have to commit extra bodies to get it done, which allows guys like Aldon to get it done.

I understand Niners fan think Willis is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but your arguments for him over an elite CB don't hold much weight.

There's a reason the CB position is much more lucrative than MLB. If we had Revis and Willis played elsewhere, most of you would be on the opposite side of the fence here. Why? Team bias.

I agree with everything. Pass rusher is the more valuable, even more than a shutdown corner. I was saying CBs are more valuable than a safety in general. Lots of corners could play Fs and not as much the other way around

Is it possible that you are both right? Sure most quality corners probably could play saftey, but that doesnt mean saftey isn't a more impactful postion. The only reason why I say that is because the saftey has the ability to roam. Their job is to survey the landscape, call the right defense and stop the big play or enforce at the line of scrimmage. Anyway, I'm sure a lot of this debate depends on the type of defense a team runs and the skill set of the players in question.

All I know is this:

I'd take Lott over Sanders or Troy/Reed over Revis.

Edit: I guess I just see the safty position as an X-factor position (much harder to account for).
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jun 23, 2012 at 7:09 PM ]
Is it possible that you are both right? Sure most quality corners probably could play saftey, but that doesnt mean saftey isn't a more impactful postion. The only reason why I say that is because the saftey has the ability to roam. Their job is to survey the landscape, call the right defense and stop the big play or enforce at the line of scrimmage. Anyway, I'm sure a lot of this debate depends on the type of defense a team runs and the skill set of the players in question.

All I know is this:

I'd take Lott over Sanders or Troy/Reed over Revis.

Edit: I guess I just see the safty position as an X-factor position (much harder to account for).

I agree that the safety position is more complicated position as far as intelligence. If it is a pass play you have to worry what man to cover and if it is a run play what gap to attack. Corner is simplified in cOmParison Bc you just cover a WR.

But there is a reason why so many CBs go in the first rounds. It is a much more im

This message got cut off.... Completed on next post
[ Edited by blizzuntz on Jun 24, 2012 at 10:16 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone