LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 404 users in the forums

Top 100 Players of 2012

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Even if you have those elite backs, the spell back gets a lot more carries then they used to it seems like.

isn't this a trend the niners started with Hearst/Barlow.

That may or may not be true, you have to take into consideration that offenses are also playing a lot more snaps now a days. I simply don't buy into the trending thought that an elite tailback is no longer an asset that you can build a team around.
I was shocked to see Staley higher than Joe Thomas
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
I'm hoping Aldon makes it, the guy came what, .5 sacks away from the rookie record? The guy was phenomenal last year.

However, I also know that there is an unwritten code between players that rookies pay their dues before they get honors like top 100 stuff.
Originally posted by Janitor:
I'm hoping Aldon makes it, the guy came what, .5 sacks away from the rookie record? The guy was phenomenal last year.

However, I also know that there is an unwritten code between players that rookies pay their dues before they get honors like top 100 stuff.

THERE'S like six rookies on the list, doe
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:

THERE'S like six rookies on the list, doe

You can't deny guys like Cam Newton though.
You can't deny guys like Cam Newton though.

and aldon smith and von miller...
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Even if you have those elite backs, the spell back gets a lot more carries then they used to it seems like.

isn't this a trend the niners started with Hearst/Barlow.

That may or may not be true, you have to take into consideration that offenses are also playing a lot more snaps now a days. I simply don't buy into the trending thought that an elite tailback is no longer an asset that you can build a team around.

definitely still an asset. but that's definitely been a position of less need lately.
I don't think Aldon Smith makes it. There are 15 running backs on the top 100 and I can't imagine a list of the 15 top running backs that excludes Frank Gore, especially considering that Willis McGahee made the list. Theres only 4 49ers left and you almost have to conclude that Willis, Justin Smith and Vernon Davis are locks.
[ Edited by DirtyP on May 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I don't think Aldon Smith makes it. There are 15 running backs on the top 100 and I can't imagine a list of the 15 top running backs that excludes Frank Gore, especially considering that Willis McGahee made the list. Theres only 4 49ers left and you almost have to conclude that Willis, Justin Smith and Vernon Davis are locks.

Aldon aint gonna make it because he was not a starter.
  • Ether
  • Veteran

This. The players around the NFL respect the fuk out of Frank Gore.

Dont forget its on tonight. I expect Willis and J.Smith to make their debut tonight.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Dont forget its on tonight. I expect Willis and J.Smith to make their debut tonight.

Willis will be in the top 20

Willis and Justin Smith you have to conclude are locks for sure. Vernon Davis definitely should be in there especially after killing in the playoffs, but you never know because his season stats weren't entirely impressive. Frank Gore also should be in there like you said with guys like Willis McGahee ahead of him. So yeah you would think that it has to be those four. However there could be a possibility Alex Smith, Aldon Smith, and Dashon Goldson could have made the list, although I think they would have already appeared if they were on the list. You could argue for Alex Smith since he was 7th in qb rating, was the qb on a team that went to NFC championship game and you have Tebow on the list.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Willis will be in the top 20

Top 10.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Willis and Justin Smith you have to conclude are locks for sure. Vernon Davis definitely should be in there especially after killing in the playoffs, but you never know because his season stats weren't entirely impressive. Frank Gore also should be in there like you said with guys like Willis McGahee ahead of him. So yeah you would think that it has to be those four. However there could be a possibility Alex Smith, Aldon Smith, and Dashon Goldson could have made the list, although I think they would have already appeared if they were on the list. You could argue for Alex Smith since he was 7th in qb rating, was the qb on a team that went to NFC championship game and you have Tebow on the list.

I was thinking the same thing about Vernon but I'd have a hard time believing that opposing NFL players don't acknowledge he's one of the best players in the league.

I don't think I could argue that Alex Smith belongs on this list at this point. There are two many very good players at their positions out their. Even from our own team I would say Brown, Iupati, MacDonald, Brooks and Whitner all are better players at their positions than Alex Smith. And since this is a players vote you'd have to consider how many of those types of players from he other 32 teams in the NFL have more respect than Alex Smith league wide, its probably alot.
Obviously he is one of the 32 most vital players in the NFL because he is a starting QB, but to say he is one of the 100 best overall players in the entire league just sounds kind of funny to me.
[ Edited by DirtyP on May 23, 2012 at 3:51 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone