There are 101 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Top 100 Players of 2012

There are 15 total running backs on the list. Gore is going to be on the list guys. LOL at anyone who thinks Alex Smith is going to be on it.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/09000d5d82923de4/Alex-Smith-Jamar-Chaney-Trent-Cole
Originally posted by DirtyP:
There are 15 total running backs on the list. Gore is going to be on the list guys. LOL at anyone who thinks Alex Smith is going to be on it.

Interesting thing I heard on the NFL network yesterday only one RB is top 20 in jersey sales and that was our boy Frank Gore at number 16.
Originally posted by susweel:
Interesting thing I heard on the NFL network yesterday only one RB is top 20 in jersey sales and that was our boy Frank Gore at number 16.

Only 1 running back in the top 100 is in the top 20 in jersey sales? thats crazy

Only 1 running back in the top 100 is in the top 20 in jersey sales? thats crazy

Yah they were talking about how RBs are no longer the need position in the NFL.

I'm glad we are one of the few teams that values workhorses like Gore

I'm glad we are one of the few teams that values workhorses like Gore

Not so much anymore because we are drafting RBs every year. The days of the bell cow are coming to an end, its all about RB by committee.
Not so much anymore because we are drafting RBs every year. The days of the bell cow are coming to an end, its all about RB by committee.

Its really trendy to say that, but I don't buy it. Its just like a couple of years ago when everyone was saying teams can't win games with an elite defense and a ball control offense. We proved that wrong last year. Every team drafts a running back almost every year. Teams that have workhorse backs use them. Teams who don't have premier backs use a committee. Name 1 team who has an elite back that doesn't give that back the bulk of the carries.
[ Edited by DirtyP on May 17, 2012 at 10:30 AM ]

Its really trendy to say that, but I don't buy it. Its just like a couple of years ago when everyone was saying teams can't win games with an elite defense and a ball control offense. We proved that wrong last year. Every team drafts a running back almost every year. Teams that have workhorse backs use them. Teams who don't have premier backs use a committee. Name 1 team who has an elite back that doesn't give that back the bulk of the carries.

Just look at the playoff teams from last year and you will see not to many elite RBs.
Just look at the playoff teams from last year and you will see not to many elite RBs.

I didn't say all of the playoff teams had elite backs, I was talking about how many carries are given to the teams starting running back in comparison to his backups

Pittsburg - Mendenhall

Baltimore - Rice

Houston- Foster

Denver- McGahee

San Fran- Gore

Cincinnati- Benson

New York - Bradshaw

Looks like most of the playoff teams gave the bulk of their carries to their starting running back, while their backups came into the game in situational roles.

New England and New Orleans used committees. However New Orleans tried drafting a work horse back in the first round in 2011 in Mark Ingram, he just didn't pan out. New England barely even runs the ball.
[ Edited by DirtyP on May 17, 2012 at 10:52 AM ]
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
East coast bias guys. Don't be surprised by Frank , Akers, Ginn, Iupati etc, not making it. Gotta give preference to east coasters.

I have a similar thing with our winery. A couple wine writers have told me unofficially that our 92 pt Cab/Syrah would have been 4-5 pts higher if it were from Napa, not Paso Robles. Face it, regional biases are just something we have to deal with. We don't have to like it, but we do have to deal with it. Unofficially, we all know Frank should have been on the list, and I could make a case for Iupati and Akers , too. But East Coast bias....ah, just take it with a grain of salt. Some schmuck from the E.coast doesn't have to tell us how good our guys were. WE know. The fact that this is supposedly voted on by the players should take the bias out, but I still believe the bias is there.

We should post our own list of the top 100. Screw those E.coast guys. Think about it. Who in the heck would want to live in buffalo, NY , new jersey, Indy, chicago, Cincy, St. Louis, Houston, Dallas, KC...you get the idea. If I lived in any of those places, darn right I would be jealous of a team in Calif (excluding CA politics and taxes).

East caost bias? That's funny. You do know it's voted on players in the league who reside everwhere and I would guess a minority are actually from the east coast, seeing as how the majority of great players come from the South, Texas and California.. And actually I would rather live in half the places you listed over California. Californians overrating California.
Paso - Uhm, I live in NJ, 20 minutes from NYC. It doesn't get more east coast than that, and Ive been a 9ers fan my whole life. There are also a ton of people I know who are Raiders fans. Football is unique in that the fans are so widespread. Now with the NFL package, it will be even more so years from now. I get a kick out of the West Coasters always beating the East Coast Bias drum. When the West Coast teams are good in pretty much any sport, they get a ton of airtime in NYC. Think of it though, how many teams are on the West Coast compared to the East? There's just not that many cities, s**t, the BIGGEST city on the West Coast doesn't even have a football team! How many West Coast teams won the Stanley Cup? One, the Ducks. Aside from the Lakers, how many West Coast teams won the NBA Championship? Two, one for the Sonics and one for Portland, over 30 years ago! Over the past 20 years, only 2 West Coast teams won the World Series. Since 1975, only 5 rings were issued in MLB to WC teams. If the West Coast teams had more teams, they would win more, that's the bottom line. There's an East Coast bias, simply because there are more East Coast teams, hence more championships and more airtime.

The only other thing I can think of that pisses people off on the East Coast is when they see the beginning of Dodgers and Lakers games, all those empty seats. The fans of those teams in particular show up late and leave early during lopsided games. You do not see that as often on the East Coast unless you're in Miami ( the worst sports town on Earth ). Its just a more laid back environment out West.

So please, do not try and correlate your friends crappy wine being rated less with how NFL players throughout the league vote for other players. Do you really think they take into consideration where a player plays? Come on man.

This.

Did this guy actually s**t on the whole country that is not on the west coast,talk bout some silly bias,and about WINE all in a top 100 thread?!?!

Wtf does wine have to do with the top 100??

I thought the PLAYERS voted on this list,not the media.So the players all live on the east coast??im confused.
I didn't say all of the playoff teams had elite backs, I was talking about how many carries are given to the teams starting running back in comparison to his backups

Pittsburg - Mendenhall

Baltimore - Rice

Houston- Foster

Denver- McGahee

San Fran- Gore

Cincinnati- Benson

New York - Bradshaw

Looks like most of the playoff teams gave the bulk of their carries to their starting running back, while their backups came into the game in situational roles.

New England and New Orleans used committees. However New Orleans tried drafting a work horse back in the first round in 2011 in Mark Ingram, he just didn't pan out. New England barely even runs the ball.
Even though Minnesota and Jacksonville are far from elite teams (or even good), we can also add Adrian Peterson and Maurice Jones-Drew. If a team has an elite back, he gets the carries, if they don't, then it's by committee (had to say it again).

Pittsburg - Mendenhall

Baltimore - Rice

Houston- Foster

Denver- McGahee

San Fran- Gore

Cincinnati- Benson

New York - Bradshaw

those guys are far from elite
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Even though Minnesota and Jacksonville are far from elite teams (or even good), we can also add Adrian Peterson and Maurice Jones-Drew. If a team has an elite back, he gets the carries, if they don't, then it's by committee (had to say it again).

Agreed. I'd much rather have an elite playmaker toting the rock than 2 or 3 decent guys sharing the load.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Agreed. I'd much rather have an elite playmaker toting the rock than 2 or 3 decent guys sharing the load.

Even if you have those elite backs, the spell back gets a lot more carries then they used to it seems like.

isn't this a trend the niners started with Hearst/Barlow.