There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Cam Johnson is a 49er

Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Yes to everything except Cam bulking up. He was like 270 when the Niners drafted him. He doesn't need any bulk. If anything, he could cut some weight.

And Cam is a restricted free agent after this season, so the Niners should have some leverage to get him back for 1 more.

Cam doesn't look anywhere near 270. He looks kind of lanky

Edit: Nvm after looking at some pictures without pads on he's pretty rocked up. He must have a good percentage of body fat
[ Edited by eonblue on Aug 30, 2013 at 3:47 PM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
Cam doesn't look anywhere near 270. He looks kind of lanky

Yeah, definitely looks closer to 260 or less. I'd say bulking up (adding a little weight and a little more muscle) would help him in the run game and help him with his bull rush. Isn't he mainly a speed rusher? Just depends on what type of LB we want him to be. There's guys who are strictly speed rush, guys who are strictly bull rush, and guys who are both.

Looked closer to 270 to 275 in college:

Looked like he lost weight for the combine:

I don't know, on game days doesn't look that big but here he looks bigger:

Looks the thinnest last night:
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 30, 2013 at 3:51 PM ]
Yea that's kind of what I was going off of. Last night he looked like he was maybe 165....maybe. I never understood why guys had to gain weight for the season and simultaneously lots of fat. I think it hurts their conditioning and makes them sluggish.At least as far as the front 7 our concerned. Cam played really fast yesterday on the edge but this was probably the only game he was able to turn the corner this preseason. Most times he was stifled. Maybe he can convert this game into a nice season. I would love to see that. Between him and Skuta in run defense I would choose Skuta though so maybe it would make sense to keep Cam lean so he can just rush the edge on passing downs.

And with Cams injury history would we want him to bulk? Our bull rushers more likely to get injured than speed rushers?
[ Edited by eonblue on Aug 30, 2013 at 4:04 PM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
Yea that's kind of what I was going off of. Last night he looked like he was maybe 165....maybe. I never understood why guys had to gain weight for the season and simultaneously lots of fat. I think it hurts their conditioning and makes them sluggish.At least as far as the front 7 our concerned. Cam played really fast yesterday on the edge but this was probably the only game he was able to turn the corner this preseason. Most times he was stifled. Between him and Skuta in run defense I would choose Skuta though so maybe it would make sense to keep Cam lean so he can just rush the edge on passing downs.

Well when I say add bulk I don't mean add 10 pounds of pure fat. Bulk I think of adding say 6 pounds muscle 4 pounds fat. Helps to anchor the run better and will help with the bull rush without losing much speed. That being said depends on what they want him to do. If they want a pure pass rusher then leave him how he is. If we want an all around guy might have to bulk up. Either way probably will be inactive most games as Lemonier will be 3rd OLB and Skuta 4th since he is a better ST player.
He better stick on the roster! Dude worked his ass off last night!
Anyone drafted at 6'3 268 doesn't have to worry about getting to small to play OLB.

I prefer when players cut weight every time to a player adding pounds. Better to make the natural bulk more lean than to pack on a bunch of muscle & be bulky.
Oops. Double post.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Aug 30, 2013 at 4:28 PM ]
He's 6'3" 268 lbs. Those are official combine #'s. That's what he is. Your college picture has his pads in. Your pro picture has his pads out. And you are saying he looks bigger somehow in college.....
#78 Max Starks was cut by the Chargers 2 days ago.
Caaaaamm
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN1m
Source: The 49ers are finalizing a trade of OLB Cam Johnson to the Colts.
Originally posted by crabman82:

The hell they doing that for?
jezus christ............
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

We better get something good.