There are 210 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Also, I should say that I very much hope I'm wrong. I understand I'm being bold when I say I don't expect Jenkins to be more than a #3 at least initially.

But let me warn this, to say those who don't like Jenkins are stupid and wrong would presume that Jenkins will automatically be a success and that Baalke will be right on almost every pick he ever makes. That's obviously not realistic.

Around the league, opinions on Jenkins were MASSIVELY VARIED. Most either thought he wasn't that special, or they loved him. I fell into the first category. I thought he was a guy who would provide good depth and play well on STs. I could be wrong and will happily be the first to admit it if I am. I just personally did not like the value. I have had my say in what I expect from Jenkins, but I will never write a player off even if I have tempered expectations for them.

Some players surprise and despite the expectation that they won't carry over their college numbers, they wind up doing well. I have very reserved expectations, but we will see. Hopefully he proves me totally wrong.
To me this is isn't about how good he will or won't be. Even if he ends up being great, if we could have gotten him later then why draft him so early? It just doesn't make sense. Trade down. Or pick someone else and then trade back up to get him where his value lands him. Drafts are all a crapshoot, so the best you can do is try and get the most value at each pick. We did not do that today.

You are assuming that no one would have traded up or drafted him before the Niners, if they traded down. Jenkins may have not been desired by some of you, but insiders say that he was desired by other WR needy teams. Even Baalke said you would be surprised how popular Jenkins was.

If you like a player, take him. If you don't, you may not like the results.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
6'0" 188 lbs.... I want a big, fast WR.

exactly... in Baalke we trust, but that is pretty diminutive for a WR. We passed on Fleener.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
that was kind of what every person was complaining about.....remember

there is a reason why people wanted Hill, Fleener, Randle, Streeter..etc etc...a big tall body

Like I've been saying all offseason, people on here overrate height. Victor Cruz is only 6 feet tall and about 10 pounds heavier than Jenkins. Manningham isn't tall either. These guys are play-makers and that's what your team needs.

I think I trust someone who watches film and knows how to scout over people who just pick the tall guys and watch 5 minute youtube highlights .
[ Edited by mike on Apr 26, 2012 at 10:51 PM ]
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
6'0" 188 lbs.... I want a big, fast WR.

exactly... in Baalke we trust, but that is pretty diminutive for a WR. We passed on Fleener.

What does that tell you about Fleener, if his own coach Harbaugh passed on him. Not to mention the rest of the NFL, including TE needy teams like the Giants.
Originally posted by mike:

there is a reason why people wanted Hill, Fleener, Randle, Streeter..etc etc...a big tall body

Like I've been saying all offseason, people on here overrate height. Victor Cruz is only 6 feet tall. Manningham isn't tall either. These guys are play-makers and that's what your team needs.

I think I trust someone who watches film and knows how to scout over people who just pick the tall guys and watch 5 minute youtube highlights .

Highlight link of Jenkins or it didn't happen.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Also, I should say that I very much hope I'm wrong. I understand I'm being bold when I say I don't expect Jenkins to be more than a #3 at least initially.

But let me warn this, to say those who don't like Jenkins are stupid and wrong would presume that Jenkins will automatically be a success and that Baalke will be right on almost every pick he ever makes. That's obviously not realistic.

Around the league, opinions on Jenkins were MASSIVELY VARIED. Most either thought he wasn't that special, or they loved him. I fell into the first category. I thought he was a guy who would provide good depth and play well on STs. I could be wrong and will happily be the first to admit it if I am. I just personally did not like the value. I have had my say in what I expect from Jenkins, but I will never write a player off even if I have tempered expectations for them.

Some players surprise and despite the expectation that they won't carry over their college numbers, they wind up doing well. I have very reserved expectations, but we will see. Hopefully he proves me totally wrong.
To me this is isn't about how good he will or won't be. Even if he ends up being great, if we could have gotten him later then why draft him so early? It just doesn't make sense. Trade down. Or pick someone else and then trade back up to get him where his value lands him. Drafts are all a crapshoot, so the best you can do is try and get the most value at each pick. We did not do that today.

You are assuming that no one would have traded up or drafted him before the Niners, if they traded down. Jenkins may have not been desired by some of you, but insiders say that he was desired by other WR needy teams. Even Baalke said you would be surprised how popular Jenkins was.

Trading back with the Vikings would of had us draft third in the 2nd round. The Rams will probably take an OL and the Colts will take Fleener....then it would of been us.

Like I've been saying all offseason, people on here overrate height. Victor Cruz is only 6 feet tall. Manningham isn't tall either. These guys are play-makers and that's what your team needs.

Its not just about height, I agree. The ability to run crisp routes and get separation and have good hands, also helps in scoring.

Trading back with the Vikings would of had us draft third in the 2nd round. The Rams will probably take an OL and the Colts will take Fleener....then it would of been us.

Again, that is assuming no one would have traded up for him. No one knows, and no one will ever know, since Jenkins was taken at 30.

Like I've been saying all offseason, people on here overrate height. Victor Cruz is only 6 feet tall and about 10 pounds heavier than Jenkins. Manningham isn't tall either. These guys are play-makers and that's what your team needs.

Youtube highligts...ok bud

The rams probably would've taken Jenkins at 33, they have no weapons for Bradford. I know you don't think he's a red zone threat but he has big hands, long arms, and a 38.5 inch vertical leap. I think he'll do better there than you expect.

• boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by afflecksloverboy:
We needed a pass rusher and got one in Aldon....we needed a big RZ threat and didnt get one today

so?

were any of them employed by the FO?

Does that matter?

To me it shows that they have 100% faith that Moss will be the guy.....we employed Edwards for that same reason and well....we know how that ended.

"we need" and "what everyone was complaing about" has nothing to do with how the FO makes decisions. you're basically reaching.
i like this pick

it is quite obvious baalke and harbaugh were looking for a good slot WR

looks like they found their guy
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Again, that is assuming no one would have traded up for him. No one knows, and no one will ever know, since Jenkins was taken at 30.

So let that "someone else" draft him too high. No reason to reach that far, is all we're saying... I don't understand why that is such a difficult concept to understand. Perhaps the new rookie pay scale is playing into this. Not as much risk for grabbing guys early, so why not if you really like a player.
We needed a pass rusher and got one in Aldon....we needed a big RZ threat and didnt get one today

so?

were any of them employed by the FO?

Does that matter?

To me it shows that they have 100% faith that Moss will be the guy.....we employed Edwards for that same reason and well....we know how that ended.

"we need" and "what everyone was complaing about" has nothing to do with how the FO makes decisions. you're basically reaching.

Reaching....did we sign a tall fast WR in Moss?
I don't know enough about Jenkins or scouting to make a prediction how this turns out or whether or not there's value but I definetily see what they're trying to accomplish here.

Greg Jennings, Jeremy Maclin. This kind of receiver is a staple to the WCO.

I'm fine with the pick and just hope he lives up to what they see in him. Time to find that guard now.
Share 49ersWebzone