LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • dj43
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by Team49ers:
With Moss gone, AJ Jenkins can now be the one to take the top off a defense.

He needs to shine in the offseason on he'll get buried on the depth chart again. This is a deep team and he has fierce competition.

Not deep at the WR position though. After Crabtree and Boldin, there's noone. It's not as if he's got a huge mountain to climb. If he cannot outshine the rest, that'll be a bust first-rounder. For a first round pick, he should be no worse than #2 by his third year, which means that he has to show signs this season.
True. None of the other WRs would start on a good passing team. If Jenkins is not pushing Boldin for PT by mid-season the b-word will be heard around here. In fact, he should be pushing him in training camp.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by Team49ers:
With Moss gone, AJ Jenkins can now be the one to take the top off a defense.

He needs to shine in the offseason on he'll get buried on the depth chart again. This is a deep team and he has fierce competition.

Not deep at the WR position though. After Crabtree and Boldin, there's noone. It's not as if he's got a huge mountain to climb. If he cannot outshine the rest, that'll be a bust first-rounder. For a first round pick, he should be no worse than #2 by his third year, which means that he has to show signs this season.
True. None of the other WRs would start on a good passing team. If Jenkins is not pushing Boldin for PT by mid-season the b-word will be heard around here. In fact, he should be pushing him in training camp.

I don't expect AJ Jenkins to push Boldin at all lol
Boldin is a proven vet and was a top 20 WR last season
"Said Lockette: "I think A.J. will definitely surprise a lot of people this year. Last year, he took it as a building year. This year from what I've seen so far, it's night and day. I expect big things out of him. He expects big things out of himself, and Kap expects big things out of him. I think Niner nation and the Niner empire will be proud of what A.J. Jenkins brings to the field this year."

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/05/the-skinny-aj-jenkins-muscled-up-this-offseason.html#storylink=cpy"
The main reason he didn't see the field much last year was that he wasn't strong enough to fight through the press at the line of scrimmage. If his weight training hasn't improved his strength enough none of his other skill will matter much. I was curious about him and did some research on his scouting evaluations out of college. He didn't face the press much in college so that wasn't much of an issue at that level. The scouts also said he had trouble maintaining weight which I assume means his natural body is very skinny. That might play into his lack of strength issues. They also mentioned that he played slower than his 40 times. They saw him more of a slot receiver rather than an over the top receiver. I see him as an unknown quantity until we see how much stronger he has gotten and how it affects his play in training camp. He might very well become a good receiver but I just cant understand posters high expectations of someone who as yet hasn't even proven that he is even strong enough to play at the NFL level.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by leon49:
"Said Lockette: "I think A.J. will definitely surprise a lot of people this year. Last year, he took it as a building year. This year from what I've seen so far, it's night and day. I expect big things out of him. He expects big things out of himself, and Kap expects big things out of him. I think Niner nation and the Niner empire will be proud of what A.J. Jenkins brings to the field this year."

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/05/the-skinny-aj-jenkins-muscled-up-this-offseason.html#storylink=cpy"

I read this last week, but since it's brought up again, what exactly does Baalke mean in the 2nd paragraph?

(Balke said. "He's had some unfortunate situations that haven't allowed him to fully attack the weight room in the offseason.")

Was he injured after the draft/last years off-season, what unfortunate situations??

("Nothing inhibited Jenkins this offseason") and goes on to mention his training in Atlanta.............. so this year he's ok, but last year he was limited in the off-season from unfortunate situations/a disclosed injury that was kept low key??
[ Edited by LVJay on May 18, 2013 at 10:27 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by willtalk:
The main reason he didn't see the field much last year was that he wasn't strong enough to fight through the press at the line of scrimmage. If his weight training hasn't improved his strength enough none of his other skill will matter much. I was curious about him and did some research on his scouting evaluations out of college. He didn't face the press much in college so that wasn't much of an issue at that level. The scouts also said he had trouble maintaining weight which I assume means his natural body is very skinny. That might play into his lack of strength issues. They also mentioned that he played slower than his 40 times. They saw him more of a slot receiver rather than an over the top receiver. I see him as an unknown quantity until we see how much stronger he has gotten and how it affects his play in training camp. He might very well become a good receiver but I just cant understand posters high expectations of someone who as yet hasn't even proven that he is even strong enough to play at the NFL level.

I hear ya... all I really have is (hope). I can't say he's going to be good because he hasn't shown anything yet (everything's speculation). AND, one dropped pass isn't enough for me to say he's a total bust (not yet). I know he couldn't get on the field even after the two injuries (Manningham/Williams) and Chad Hall even got more playing time, but I want to see what happens in training camp/pre-season games before anything.

Still, if he's just weak off the LOS and didn't "fully attack the weight room" (according to Baalke), then what EXACTLY were those "unfortunate situations" Baalke was talking about?
I think it was unfortunately he couldn't pick up the playbook, and couldn't transition from college as quick as they wanted
I actually have a lot of faith in Jenkins, being from the midwest I have seen almost every college game he played. When he was a freshman and sophmore, you could see natural talent, but he just hadnt gotten it yet. AJ has kinda been a slow starter in that regard. This kid was an absolute beast but has been living on natural talent and is just in the last 2 years learning what it means to be a professional. Not unlike many players in this league. This is still a developmental league. When the light turned on at illinois AJ dominated everyone and they had the worst QB play in the country. I think he is gonna have a really fine year, im excited because not only does he have real speed, but he has blazing football speed. He is flat out fast in pads. I can see him getting 45-55 rec this year.
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
I actually have a lot of faith in Jenkins, being from the midwest I have seen almost every college game he played. When he was a freshman and sophmore, you could see natural talent, but he just hadnt gotten it yet. AJ has kinda been a slow starter in that regard. This kid was an absolute beast but has been living on natural talent and is just in the last 2 years learning what it means to be a professional. Not unlike many players in this league. This is still a developmental league. When the light turned on at illinois AJ dominated everyone and they had the worst QB play in the country. I think he is gonna have a really fine year, im excited because not only does he have real speed, but he has blazing football speed. He is flat out fast in pads. I can see him getting 45-55 rec this year.

Thank you!! Great insight. I agree, I don't know him well at all, but he's already bulked up ans had time to practice with Kap. Wr's notoriously take a long time to "catch on" in the NFL.
Looking to see what this kid can do this season.

I just don't want anymore of our WRs to get injured. I don't want him to take a cheap shot like the one Leroy Smith put on Manningham at SEA. If AJ can stay healthy I expect him to contribute. This is where preparation and weightlifting can help him be more productive and stay on the field
Jenkins ran a 4.38 close to Lockette's time of 4.37. I see Jenkins having a positive impact on this team.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I just don't want anymore of our WRs to get injured. I don't want him to take a cheap shot like the one Leroy Smith put on Manningham at SEA. If AJ can stay healthy I expect him to contribute. This is where preparation and weightlifting can help him be more productive and stay on the field

Roid rage, damnit.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

WAIT WAIT HOLD THE f**kING PHONE WHO THE f**k IS LEROY SMITH
Originally posted by redrathman:
WAIT WAIT HOLD THE f**kING PHONE WHO THE f**k IS LEROY SMITH

Damn bro, I meant Leroy Hill the same dude beating up his women, kneeing Delanie Walker's jaw causing him to miss playoff time in 2012 in the same game that Kyle Williams was smashed while on the ground by our former beloved Mike Robinson, and then taking the cheap shot to Manny's knee late in 2012. Too many Smiths dude, Alex, Aldon, Justin so we may as well have a Leroy too. We sustain too many injuries when we visit SEA and I could do without the cheap shots. Now in the name of anonymity you can ask the same question for Mr. Hill cuz dude is a nobody!!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on May 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone