There are 246 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
And you dont know for sure he couldnt handle it, I doubt he would have even been active unless Harbaugh thought he could handle it.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
He couldnt even line up right when he got in there. I have to beleive he was only included in a couple of packages and a couple of plays, so it asnt even necissary for him to know every play in the playbook like a QB or RB. All he needed to know was the assignment for his designed packages and he couldnt even handle that after a full season.

Yeah maybe its a mix of mental and physical, digesting our playbook would be a little complicated i would guess for most rookies. Which would explain him lining up just in certain packages.

Not as difficult as its made out to be. He has certain packages to learn his assignments too. This already reduces the playbook greatly. Its not like a QB or RB or even crabtree that needs to know most of the playbook because they are in on the majority of packages and plays. He had extremely limited packages that he had to learn, and again he couldnt even handle that. Im sure the club wants him to bulk up, but i have a feeling its mental. Mental issues are the hardest to overcome.
And you dont know for sure he couldnt handle it, I doubt he would have even been active unless Harbaugh thought he could handle it.

He as active because there ere no other options. Even hall got elevated. The last play i remember him in on other than the drop, Kaep, and several other players had to direct him where to lineup and where to motion.
Not as difficult as its made out to be. He has certain packages to learn his assignments too. This already reduces the playbook greatly. Its not like a QB or RB or even crabtree that needs to know most of the playbook because they are in on the majority of packages and plays. He had extremely limited packages that he had to learn, and again he couldnt even handle that. Im sure the club wants him to bulk up, but i have a feeling its mental. Mental issues are the hardest to overcome.

Yeah mental issues are tough. I think he'll be good next season if he works with Kaep and the veteran receivers in the offseason. But only time will tell.

Yeah mental issues are tough. I think he'll be good next season if he works with Kaep and the veteran receivers in the offseason. But only time will tell.
the only guy he has to work with is Crabs.....
Originally posted by jreff22:
the only guy he has to work with is Crabs.....

Theres alot he can pickup from Crabs, also Vernon I know hes not a receiver but he can learn alot of skills needed by a receiver from Him, especially the blocking skills needed by any receiver on this team. He can learn from Gore, Kaep, Hunter, hell even Williams can teach him something needed to be a NFL receiver.
he can learn from everyone because he doesnt know s**t apparently. crabs, VD and the others can help him if he makes an effort to ask and learn from them. theyre not obligated to baby sit him if he doesnt wanna make the effort. we'll see if he follows thru with his plan to work with kaep
If it happens to be a physical thing putting 5-10 lbs of muscle for some people is harder then it is for others, and he has one of those skinny boy builds. It may possibly be what was mentioned earlier also was he probably knows nothing about blocking in Ill he was just a route runner, and he ran really crisp routes really quickly. Who knows though

If he can't put on 30 lbs of muscle working with a professional football program, there is something wrong with that program. 5 - 10 is nothing. I put on 25 lbs of muscle in 2 months. All it takes is discipline and proper nutrition.
Keeping the weight on might be harder for him, because he is burning a ton of calories with his football workouts, but still, he has all the resources he could ever need.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
If he can't put on 30 lbs of muscle working with a professional football program, there is something wrong with that program. 5 - 10 is nothing. I put on 25 lbs of muscle in 2 months. All it takes is discipline and proper nutrition.
Keeping the weight on might be harder for him, because he is burning a ton of calories with his football workouts, but still, he has all the resources he could ever need.

Im 220lbs and it took me almost a full year to make my way up here from 210. Everyone gains weight/muscle at different speeds.
jenkins looks liek a twig, does he even have enough bones to put muscle on?

busted pick, IMO

can't even line up at the right spot and catch a 5 yard floater pass
I left the country for work shortly after the draft and spent the regular season abroad as well, so I didn't really read up much on Jenkins and don't know that much about him other than he contributed nothing and I watched him drop that drag route against AZ.

So, I guess, my main question is...

What is his main problem? Is it build/size, work ethic, or some combination thereof. I do remember a bit of a brouhaha developing over the summer in TC when there reporters were saying Jenkins showed up out of shape and looked awful and Harbs going off on them, but that's about the last I heard of him.
Still to early to label him a bust imo, but go ahead and sell your stocks before actually seeing them on the market.
Originally posted by merm49:
I left the country for work shortly after the draft and spent the regular season abroad as well, so I didn't really read up much on Jenkins and don't know that much about him other than he contributed nothing and I watched him drop that drag route against AZ.

So, I guess, my main question is...

What is his main problem? Is it build/size, work ethic, or some combination thereof. I do remember a bit of a brouhaha developing over the summer in TC when there reporters were saying Jenkins showed up out of shape and looked awful and Harbs going off on them, but that's about the last I heard of him.

Right now no one really knows, its a possible mix of physical issues (size/build) and mental issue (comprehension of play book/ being NFL ready). Alot of people claim to know but no one but the team/coaches really know whats really going on with him. He mentioned the other day going to ATL to work out with Kaep and he is expecting to enter next season as a different player. Time will only tell.
He will be fine. There have been plenty of NFL wrs that did next to nothing their rookie seasons and went on to becoming good receivers. I don't necessarily think he needs to gain 20-30 lbs either, he just needs to gain strength, technique and learn the damn playbook.
Share 49ersWebzone