There are 220 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
This guy has got Moss, and Manningham to learn from. He also will be great competition. Harbaugh likes his hands, route running, and his ability to get down field. Watching his live press conference on CSN Bay Area.
  • bors
  • Veteran
when they said jenkins i was thinking the corner.....oh well it was it is..no fleener.no hill.,but whatever still 6 more picks
SHOCKING!!

Might still target one of the tall wideouts that falls to Saturday.
So instead of going for upside, speed and smooth receiver, we go for upside, speed, smooth receiver AND production. Good stuff.
  • bors
  • Veteran
hope i am wrong and he is pro bowl
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
mystery draft crush
In the mold of Brandon Lloyd. Love the pick. Hill was very overrated and Fleener wasn't really a need.

Guy has great hands and moves well.

Most will hate it but everyone hated the Aldon pick last year too.
  • Veteran
I like it. He is a burner with good hands. I never thought i would say this but I trust Baalke/Harbaugh. A great pick for us.
Trent Baalke coming up next to speak....

http://www.csnbayarea.com/live
Interesting pick. I will roll with it

• Chief
  • Veteran
Awesome pick!! I love it and trust Harbaalke.

Bye bye Kyle Williams, woot!
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Awesome pick!! I love it and trust Harbaalke.

Bye bye Kyle Williams, woot!
Should of traded back, still could of had him

anyways...

A.J. Jenkins, wide receiver, Illinois (6-0, 190) Jenkins has the skill set to mature into a starter in the NFL who could be a scary vertical threat. However, I think there were better prospects on the board at this stage than Jenkins and that the Niners reached on a guy who, in my humble view, didn't warrant a first round grade. NFL Ceiling: Above-average NFL vertical threat NFL Floor: Sub package wide outhttp://www.nationalfootballpost.com/With-the-30th-pick-in-the-draft-the-49ers-select.html

The 49ers caught flak for "overdrafting" defensive end Aldon Smith and cornerback Chris Culliver in the first and third rounds, respectively, last April. Their 2012 first-round pick will also be billed as a reach, though coach Jim Harbaugh and G.M. Trent Baalke have earned the benefit of the doubt. With the 30th pick in the 2012 draft, the Niners selected receiver A.J. Jenkins out of Illinois. Jenkins had a solid college career in the Big Ten, but his stock rose during pre-draft workouts with a sub-4.4 forty at the Combine. Jenkins projects as a slot receiver in the pros. He'll compete for that spot immediately with San Francisco while Michael Crabtree, Randy Moss, and Mario Manningham man the outside positions. Last year's playoff goat, Kyle Williams' roster spot is in jeopardy.http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/26/niners-draft-illinois-speedster-a-j-jenkins-at-no-30/

Jenkins, who was also recruited by Florida, Florida State, Miami and South Carolina, was one of the more heralded recruits brought to Illinois by Ron Zook. He saw immediate action in 2008 as a true freshman, playing in all 12 games, including one start (11-287-3). He started three games in 2009 as a sophomore, but saw his production drop a bit (10-123-1), missing two games with a knee injury. Jenkins started nine games in 2010 and finished as the team's leading receiver (56-749-7). However, he really emerged in 2011 as a senior, posting team-highs in every receiving category, including a Big Ten-best 84 receptions for 1,196 yards and 7 TDs. Jenkins isn't a burner or consistent vertical threat, but he plays fast and with a degree of confidence. He is more quick than fast and covers a lot of ground in the short half of the field and is slippery after the catch. He has a lanky frame and will be overmatched physically by most cornerbacks in the NFL, but should be a solid underneath option. Jenkins doesn't appear to have the strength or natural speed to hold up on the outside as a pro, but could develop into a solid No. 3 or 4 for a team if he becomes more disciplined as a route-runner and devotes himself to the game of football.

Strengths: Jenkins is a balanced athlete with good body control and hand/eye coordination. He plays fast and can create after the catch. Jenkins does a nice job finding soft spots in zone coverage and will immediately turn upfield after the reception. He catches the ball with his large, soft hands and is tough, showing the ability to hold onto the ball after a big hit. Jenkins is a much improved route-runner with sharp moves in/out of his breaks and good field awareness. He uses his body movements to sell routes and makes plays at all levels of the field. Jenkins has a very good feel in coverage and has deceptive jets to gain a step and track the deep ball downfield. He put together a strong senior resume, leading the Big Ten in catches (84) and emerged as Illinois' go-to option through the air - producing at least four catches in every game in 2011 and set a new single game school record with 268 receiving yards (vs. Northwestern, 10/1/11). Weaknesses: Jenkins has only average size with a narrow body type and a lean, lanky frame. He needs to spend more time in the weight room and get stronger. Jenkins' lack of strength has been exposed in a few jump-ball situations and he needs to be more competitive in tight coverage. He tends to round off some patterns and will get lazy in this area, choosing instead to abandon his routes and freelance at times. Jenkins will hold the ball too loose from his body and needs to improve his ball security and cut down on fumbles. He will try and make body catches at times, which will lead to drops. Jenkins has some experience as a kick returner, but isn't overly effective or reliable in this area. The Florida native has struggled in poor weather games, especially snow. He got into a few spats with former head coach Ron Zook and the rest of the Illinois coaching staff, so pre-draft interviews will be crucial to answering any effort or character concerns. NFL Comparison: Brandon Lloyd, Rams: Jenkins has similar build and playing style as the former Illini, but not the same type of ball skills and polish. -- Dane Brugler

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1630897/aj-jenkins

Biography: Two-year starter awarded all-conference honors as a senior after posting career-best numbers of 90 receptions/1276 yards/8 TDs. Junior totals included 56/746/7.Positives: Adequately sized wideout with a polished game. Smooth releasing off the line into pass routes, displays good quickness and the ability to get separation from defenders. Extends his hands to make the reception away from his frame and effectively adjusts to errant throws. Sells routes, looks the ball into his hands and possesses both soft and strong hands. Good eye/hand coordination. Comes back to the ball out of breaks and uses his frame to shield away defenders. Consistently finds the open space on the field. Holds onto the ball after taking big hits.Negatives: Lacks a second gear and does not play to his 40 time. Average skill running after the catch.Analysis: Jenkins displayed a lot of improvement in his game the past two seasons and is a natural pass catcher with the skills necessary to be a productive third wideout at the next level.Projection: 2-3

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/players/83103.html#ixzz1tCx3JmDd
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
upside-not really. Fast-YES

Yawn. Seems like a slot or #2 at very best. Will see....
  • bors
  • Veteran
welp he is ours now....who buying the jersey?
Share 49ersWebzone