There are 242 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for BadgerHawk.
Maybe they play different receiver positions? Think of that?
Originally posted by Shaj:
Reminds me of Rashaun Woods.

Woods was slow. Give Jenkins time. He needs to develop but has the skills to succeed. Many receivers don't have big 1st year impacts. Considering how little he has been active it makes sense. Not pushing a panic button here yet. And yes Pete Konz is a good player. Always was at Wisconsin. They are known for producing some quality linemen.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Reminds me of Rashaun Woods.

Woods was slow. Give Jenkins time. He needs to develop but has the skills to succeed. Many receivers don't have big 1st year impacts. Considering how little he has been active it makes sense. Not pushing a panic button here yet. And yes Pete Konz is a good player. Always was at Wisconsin. They are known for producing some quality linemen.

Woods was HIGHLY touted coming out of college. But anyways, everytime I have doubted Harbaugh and Baalke, they have been proven correct, which is why I'm neither coach nor GM of the niners. The best example is a couple of years ago when they did NOTHING in FA, and we were all livid, just furious. They waited until the frenzy was over and then brilliantly picked up some great players in the aftermath at great prices, such as Carlos Rogers and Donte Whitner, both pro-bowlers since picking them up. So I also have faith that there is something there with Jenkins. However, I do clearly recall Baalke making a subtle jab at Jenkins in an interview a few weeks back, essentially saying in so many words "he better get his ass in gear quickly."
I have not doubted the kid but Harbaugh needs to answer for why Hall was on the field period. Jenkins being bust has NOTHING to do with Hall getting important third down looks in the NFC championship game. That shouldn't happen regardless of how good or bad Jenkins is and we had better not see Hall getting any serious consideration for playing time in the superbowl for christs sake.
Was listening to KNBR last night after the game and I believe they had Kevin Lynch on. He was saying AJ had similar issues at Illinois when he first arrived. He said he just wasn't ready for big game but once he does get it he will flourish.
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
No problem... Will do that as soon as he gets his butt on the field... Oh wait our Practice squad player Hall is out there instead.

He's been out there a couple of times. He just hasn't been targeted. Not that these comparisons are equal, but Vernon Davis didn't get many looks and you actually had some webzoners talking about maybe Vernon had fallen off and we should trade him.

What we do know is that he is rarely active and even when he is, he rarely see the field. He's had one pass target. What we don't know is why. All we can do is assume and I'm done assuming when it comes to personnel moves with this team.

Someone brought up an excellent point in this thread about it already. Everyone assumed Baalke needed someone like Floyd Reese, Bill Parcells, etc to be over him when he got the GM job. Obviously he didn't need anyone over him. When it came to free agency after the lockout, people panicked because he wasn't signing anyone when the frenzy began. Then he signed Carlos Rogers, Donte Whitner, Braylon Edwards, etc. Those signings mostly turned out to be pretty big. Then the draft came and the criticism of the Aldon Smith pick, people spoke of how raw CK was. Wrong again. In free agency for 2012 we signed Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, and Brandon Jacobs. All 3 came cheap and we were 2 for 3 with those signings. People thought Randy Moss would implode and he has been the model teammate. Mario Manningham was a great pickup as well. The 2012 draft came. Hard to really judge because only one player has really had the opportunity to do anything. But that one player has played HUGE dividends (LeMichael James). Two have been hurt (Fleming and Johnson), Looney is depth at this point, and Robinson is developing, however he's a low pick so I wouldn't question much. I'm saying all of that to say this. Considering his past track record (and I will include the 2010 draft where he drafted an All-Pro ILB), I will give our GM the benefit of the doubt on AJ Jenkins. Don't you think he has earned that much?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
No problem... Will do that as soon as he gets his butt on the field... Oh wait our Practice squad player Hall is out there instead.

He's been out there a couple of times. He just hasn't been targeted. Not that these comparisons are equal, but Vernon Davis didn't get many looks and you actually had some webzoners talking about maybe Vernon had fallen off and we should trade him.

What we do know is that he is rarely active and even when he is, he rarely see the field. He's had one pass target. What we don't know is why. All we can do is assume and I'm done assuming when it comes to personnel moves with this team.

Someone brought up an excellent point in this thread about it already. Everyone assumed Baalke needed someone like Floyd Reese, Bill Parcells, etc to be over him when he got the GM job. Obviously he didn't need anyone over him. When it came to free agency after the lockout, people panicked because he wasn't signing anyone when the frenzy began. Then he signed Carlos Rogers, Donte Whitner, Braylon Edwards, etc. Those signings mostly turned out to be pretty big. Then the draft came and the criticism of the Aldon Smith pick, people spoke of how raw CK was. Wrong again. In free agency for 2012 we signed Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, and Brandon Jacobs. All 3 came cheap and we were 2 for 3 with those signings. People thought Randy Moss would implode and he has been the model teammate. Mario Manningham was a great pickup as well. The 2012 draft came. Hard to really judge because only one player has really had the opportunity to do anything. But that one player has played HUGE dividends (LeMichael James). Two have been hurt (Fleming and Johnson), Looney is depth at this point, and Robinson is developing, however he's a low pick so I wouldn't question much. I'm saying all of that to say this. Considering his past track record (and I will include the 2010 draft where he drafted an All-Pro ILB), I will give our GM the benefit of the doubt on AJ Jenkins. Don't you think he has earned that much?

Completely agree, IMO you just need to ignore half the zone for being haters whenever the opportunity presents itself. Maicco said it best when answering this question in his mail bag. Bust, absolutely not and you'd be an idiot to write anyone off after their rookie year but dissapointment so far? absolutely.
My understanding is that AJ Jenkins doesn't handle a steep learning curve very well and will take some time to 'get it'.

In addition, he's 10 - 15 lbs undersized, which, IMHO, was a huge red flag. I think that Baalke assessed that he can sit him for a year while he works out and learns the offense. Seems risky.

I would have taken Reuben Randle, who can play special teams, block, and played in the SEC. solid pick
I don't think harbaugh is the kind of coach that just gives a rookie or anyone for that matter reps if there not ready or good enough. Seems like a coach that if you get an opportunity early you gotta take it and earn your spot.

Lmj took his chance , Jacobs didn't

I think if Jenkins catches that first target we see him have an increased role but he didn't and now were here. Not everyone can be aldon smith.

It's a huge adjustment making it to the next level , give him some time.

I hope you are right about Jenkins and that he's not another bust like Woods. So far the return on investmenting a #1 pick is 0.

With all the injuries at receiver the 9ers needed him to show up a little if not a lot.............

Originally posted by Aussie49ah:
I don't think harbaugh is the kind of coach that just gives a rookie or anyone for that matter reps if there not ready or good enough. Seems like a coach that if you get an opportunity early you gotta take it and earn your spot.

Lmj took his chance , Jacobs didn't

I think if Jenkins catches that first target we see him have an increased role but he didn't and now were here. Not everyone can be aldon smith.

It's a huge adjustment making it to the next level , give him some time.

I agree - if he makes that catch and runs for 20 yards or whatever, he's featured a bit more.

still significantly underweight
He sure looked like Chad Hall on sunday!
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I agree - if he makes that catch and runs for 20 yards or whatever, he's featured a bit more.

still significantly underweight

Guy definitely needs to put on some weight or just get stronger. Hopefully he doesn't have that body type that will just never put on weight no matter what ya do....
  • Jiks
Originally posted by kemp_j:

I hope you are right about Jenkins and that he's not another bust like Woods. So far the return on investmenting a #1 pick is 0.

With all the injuries at receiver the 9ers needed him to show up a little if not a lot.............

Look at LMJ. He didn't get his shot until Hunter went down. Reminds me of what Jerry Sloan did with his rookies, let them sit and learn. The year we drafted Derron Williams he sat behind Derrick Fisher all year. Drove me nuts.

I mean it's taken Crabtree a #10 pick 4 seasons to "get it". WR position is a very hard position to learn. Does Harbaugh trust a rookie to come in and not make a critical mistake or a veteran? Honestly I just think we are letting him sit and learn. Next year we will see what the kid actually has.

I don't expect him to be a "great" receiver anyways, but more as a piece to this offense. A possession receiver who can stretch the field with his speed.
Jenkins is probably so pissed, Chad Hall got his drop!
Share 49ersWebzone