LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 188 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
Not that his contributions would make a difference at this point...but seriously, what the hell happened with this guy.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
I've seen plenty of posters agree that we can't be labeling this kid a bust just yet. I do agree, in theory.

BUT--- A first round receiver should be good enough to press the issue. What I mean is, a first round WR should be good enough to be pushing the regulars for playing time. A first round WR should be making so many plays in practice that he forces the issue, that he forces the coach to play him, for the QB to throw his way. We have seen none of that.

I dont care that he has wheels. He makes no plays when it counts. That's all I need to know. I'm sure Harbaugh is skilled enough to get some use from him but to not believe that the pick was a complete disaster is foolish. For CK to not even target him means he has no confidence in him. We've seen Kap force throws to Crabtree. No one is forcing throws to Bustkins

A little bit premature?

Crabtree is showing to be a #1 in his FOURTH year! IF he does not show something by this time next year, I think he could go down as bust. Labeling him after about 50 snaps of playing is just silly.

The Crabtree comparisons have got to stop. People were disapointed with what crabtree showed because everyone knew what potential he had. People questioned his work ethic and his desire, not his ability for the most part. People were upset about the hold out, then happy with what he showed his rookie season, then disapointed again with the missed offseasons and apparent lack of desire to be great.

Crabtree missed his entire rookie offseaon, and the first 5 weeks of regular season footbal then came in and in 11 games had 48 receptions for 625 yards 2 TD's and a 13.0 average. The same average he had this season.

Jenkins has had the entire offseason, and 17 weeks of the regular season, had two WR's that were ahead of him on the depth chart have season ending injurys, and he still hasnt even passed Ginn on the depth chart it seems. Ginn isaint even an NFL caliber third WR on nearly any team in the NFL. That is very disapointing and concerning no matter which way you spin it. Can he be labeled a bust definateivly? Of course not. But people have reason to be concerned.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Jan 14, 2013 at 12:17 AM ]
Just a hunch but... I have a feeling his 1st ever catch for us is gonna be... a HUGE play!!!!
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
The Crabtree comparisons have got to stop. People were disapointed with what crabtree showed because everyone knew what potential he had. People questioned his work ethic and his desire, not his ability for the most part. People were upset about the hold out, then happy with what he showed his rookie season, then disapointed again with the missed offseasons and apparent lack of desire to be great.

Crabtree missed his entire rookie offseaon, and the first 5 weeks of regular season footbal then came in and in 11 games had 48 receptions for 625 yards 2 TD's and a 13.0 average. The same average he had this season.

Jenkins has had the entire offseason, and 17 weeks of the regular season, had two WR's that were ahead of him on the depth chart have season ending injurys, and he still hasnt even passed Ginn on the depth chart it seems. Ginn isaint even an NFL caliber third WR on nearly any team in the NFL. That is very disapointing and concerning no matter which way you spin it. Can he be labeled a bust definateivly? Of course not. But people have reason to be concerned.

Crabtree is starting to look like a #1 reciever after 4 years of "ON THE FIELD PLAY".... This kid can't even get on the field....WOW
  • Garce
  • Veteran
AJ Made some good blocks on the big Kap runs...
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:
I'm not too concerned if AJ doesn't contribute. We aren't facing menacing secondaries unless we face the Ravens.

a number one draft choice who does not produce and looks lost on the field should be a concern in my opinion
Out of curiousity since we know who Jenkins has had to compete with for time on the field, who did crabtree really have to compete with when he was drafted?
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Out of curiousity since we know who Jenkins has had to compete with for time on the field, who did crabtree really have to compete with when he was drafted?

Your arguement is not valid. Who does Jenkins have to compete with now? We arent talking about him not cntributeing when there were other players ahead of him. We are talking about him still not contributing when only Crabtree, Moss, and Ginn are the only WR's healthy. The fact that the staff seems to be favoring Ginn right now in some formations is worisome, Ginn is not an NFL caliber receiver on any team. Even in 5 WR sets they were using walker and Miller split out wide instead of him. Walker is horrible Sure he gets open, but he cant catch s**t.

Jenkins should be showing ALOT more than he has. He doesnt need to leapfrog anyone anymore. He should be far and away the front runner as the #3 WR, and hes not.
579 total yards and 0 for Jenkins. Hard to pass judgement with so little playing time, but you have to ask yourself, what the f**k!
Your arguement is not valid. Who does Jenkins have to compete with now? We arent talking about him not cntributeing when there were other players ahead of him. We are talking about him still not contributing when only Crabtree, Moss, and Ginn are the only WR's healthy. The fact that the staff seems to be favoring Ginn right now in some formations is worisome, Ginn is not an NFL caliber receiver on any team. Even in 5 WR sets they were using walker and Miller split out wide instead of him. Walker is horrible Sure he gets open, but he cant catch s**t.

Jenkins should be showing ALOT more than he has. He doesnt need to leapfrog anyone anymore. He should be far and away the front runner as the #3 WR, and hes not.

Not trying to argue it truly was a curious question, but for the sake of it, your argument it not as valid as you would like to believe, because unless youve seen him actually play you have no true evidence to validate your claims other then assumptions due to him not taking the field on formations you believe he should be. Maybe Harbaugh wants bigger players that are harder to bring down when using Miller and Walker out wide, maybe Ginn has one thing on Jenkins with his speed and he's used as a distraction, the same way Moss was for most of the season, It was only about a month ago people were saying LMJ was a waste of a draft pick due to him not playing so obviously he must have not been "good enough" and god forbid he take any sort or returns because of pre season mishaps. But like Y2R said it is definetely something that makes you say wtf. When he actually get real playing time he may turn out like LMJ and be somewhat of a shock to players maybe he'll fall flat on his face, my point is wait till that happens before convincing yourself he's not good.

Not trying to argue it truly was a curious question, but for the sake of it, your argument it not as valid as you would like to believe, because unless youve seen him actually play you have no true evidence to validate your claims other then assumptions due to him not taking the field on formations you believe he should be. Maybe Harbaugh wants bigger players that are harder to bring down when using Miller and Walker out wide, maybe Ginn has one thing on Jenkins with his speed and he's used as a distraction, the same way Moss was for most of the season, It was only about a month ago people were saying LMJ was a waste of a draft pick due to him not playing so obviously he must have not been "good enough" and god forbid he take any sort or returns because of pre season mishaps. But like Y2R said it is definetely something that makes you say wtf. When he actually get real playing time he may turn out like LMJ and be somewhat of a shock to players maybe he'll fall flat on his face, my point is wait till that happens before convincing yourself he's not good.

I have seen him play. He couldnt even get himself lined up right. The rest of your arguements dont even make sense. Yea we want a FB, s**t HB, and s**t WR to be playing WR over our first round draft pick. That makes perfect sense. Like i have said many times you cant call him a bust, its too early, but his development is certainly concerning.
they drafted him knowing he was a twig. he was a project from day one so give the guy a chance. harbaugh doesnt think hes ready so hes not playing, simple as that

I agree. He's not even getting on the field over Tedd Ginn.
I mean this kid was a first round pick and we actually threw the ball to a guy who came off the practice squad on a critical third down play in the NFCC. I've been hopeful about AJ all year and clearly we drafted well accross the board. But that was an indictment. Cmon man!!! Seriously. AJ needs to step up. We should have drafted a kicker.
Chad Hall got thrown to before Jenkins saw a pass...
Share 49ersWebzone