There are 220 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by jreff22:
we drafted a WR last year, brought in Edwards, brought in Swain, brought up Hastings, and resigned Swain......none of those worked

You're comparing a first round pick to a 6th round pick, a low-risk signing, and a couple of scrubs?

Im looking at the track record at WR for this team under Trent. I still fear we need more help in the RZ, a 6'0 WR is not that kind of weapon.
If anything this draft has shown how little the media knows compared to professional evaluators. Irving... Jenkins.. no Upshaw, Hill, Fleener... I trust our front office and believe he just went under the radar due to other guys having more "prototypical" size yet lacking production. Great hands, intelligent, great route runner, and creates seperation... and we need a receiver sooner than later. If we ended up with a cruz/maclin type within one year compared to a Megatron/Andre Johnson in 3 years on a 4 year contract, I can get on board with that.
Originally posted by afflecksloverboy:
Originally posted by jreff22:
do the professionals in Sea look like they have a clue?

lol. same guy who drafted Balmer.

lol

how does he have a job?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Horrendous value. Many saw him as a guy who would be a reach in the SECOND ROUND, let alone the first. Now, personally I would have been JUST FINE if we traded back and took him, but I would have never touched Jenkins in the first.

Aldon was a fine pick because it was a legitimate top 12 pick kind of player AND filled an immediate need. Jenkins is not a legitimate first rounder, and unlike Aldon was not seen by ANYONE else as a first round talent. I simply did not find ANYTHING in the multiple games of watching Jenkins that led me to believe he was a star in the making.

My impression is he will be nothing more than a potential depth WR with STs ability. Obviously they expect his peak to be astronomically higher, but I am willing to bet they are wrong. I trust our staff, but they can't get every pick right, and I will venture to say this will be one that does not live up to 1st round status.

OK, OK.....I get that many of you are disappointed with this pick. Let us look a bit deeper at the reasons behind it, shall we?

A.J. Jenkins...

physical attributes...
-great hands
-runs great routes
-is both quick and fast
-can stretch the field
-was extremely productive even though he was playing with a below average QB
-for those of you who like numbers...
....4.37 40 yd. dash at the Combine...one of the fastest times of any player invited
....38.5" vertical leap (better than Blackmon, Floyd, Randle, Jeffery, Givens, Sanu, Quick, and M. Jones)
....4.12 20 yd. shuttle (better than Blackmon, Floyd, K Wright, S Hill, Randle, Jeffery, Givens, Sanu, and Quick)
....6.73 3-cone drill (better than Blackmon, Floyd, K Wright, S Hill, Randle, Jeffery, Givens, Sanu, Quick, M. Jones, and Childs)
....10'4" broad jump (better than Blackmon, Floyd, K Wright, Randle, Jeffery, Givens, Sanu, Quick, and M. Jones)

intangibles
-humble
-hard working
-very intelligent
-has great character
-loves the game of football
-improved every year in college and by all accounts, has not reached his ceiling
-wants to get better

I'd say he qualifies as a top prospect...

Cheers!

[ Edited by nw9erfan on Apr 27, 2012 at 4:12 PM ]
Horrendous value. Many saw him as a guy who would be a reach in the SECOND ROUND, let alone the first. Now, personally I would have been JUST FINE if we traded back and took him, but I would have never touched Jenkins in the first.

Aldon was a fine pick because it was a legitimate top 12 pick kind of player AND filled an immediate need. Jenkins is not a legitimate first rounder, and unlike Aldon was not seen by ANYONE else as a first round talent. I simply did not find ANYTHING in the multiple games of watching Jenkins that led me to believe he was a star in the making.

My impression is he will be nothing more than a potential depth WR with STs ability. Obviously they expect his peak to be astronomically higher, but I am willing to bet they are wrong. I trust our staff, but they can't get every pick right, and I will venture to say this will be one that does not live up to 1st round status.

As long as Jenkins gets in on time and gets going he should be active on gamedays.

Right now it would be these 46 active, barring injuries and vets not being as advertised.

QB- Alex Smith and Josh Johnson
RB- Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter and Brandon Jacobs
FB- Bruce Miller
WR- Randy Moss, Michael Crabtree, Mario Manningham, A.J. Jenkins
TE- Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker and Nate Byham (Could see a TE drafted to compete with Byham)
C- Jonathan Goodwin
OG- Mike Iupati, Daniel Kilgore and Mike Person (Depends on how far in draft we add a OG, plus a vet could be brought in)
OT- Joe Staley, Anthony Davis and Alex Boone
DE- Justin Smith, Ray McDonald and Will Tukuafu
NT- Isaac Sopoaga and Ricky Jean Francois
OLB- Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks and Parys Haralson
ILB- Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Larry Grant and Tavares Gooden
CB- Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Chris Culliver, Perrish Cox and Tramaine Brock (Could add a CB in draft to compete)
S- Dashon Goldson, Donte Whitner, C.J. Spillman and Colin Jones
K- David Akers
P- Andy Lee
LS- Brian Jennings
KR/PR- Ted Ginn Jr.
ST Ace- Rock Cartwright

The Last 7 Spots/Inactives on 53 man would be IMO, QB Colin Kaepernick, DE Demarcus Dobbs and NT Ian Williams

The last 4 spots would be up in the air. if all goes well, of the 49 I listed(46 active and 3 inactives), the only ones not guaranteed a spot IMO are Moss, Jacobs, Dobbs, I.Williams, Byham, Cox and Brock.

I am going to say Johnson and Kaep are our 2nd and 3rd QBs, leaving Tolzien gone, as he isn't practice squad eligible due to being roster for entire season.

I say Cartwright is locked in to me because he is a special teams ace, and can play RB and Return Kicks when needed.

Dobbs and I.Williams will be pushed in camp, possibly a NT and DE are drafted in rounds 2-4, depended on value. I would love to add either Kendall Reyes or Alameda Ta'amu in round 2 if possible.

Kyle Williams, Anthony Dixon are two who likely gone, no room on roster for those two.

If the 49 players were to make the squad I listed that would leave 4 spots open, likely a OG and OT, a OLB and likely a DB or WR, depended on how the team feels depth wise.

As of now we have 66 players committed for the 2012 offseason/training camp, leaving 24 roster spots open.

I think our roster is solid, no weak areas right now. I don't expect a starter from the 2012 class in 2012 season.

On one other note special teams wise, of the 46 players these guys are likely on STs, Gooden, Grant, Jones, Cartwright, Byham, Tukuafu, Brock, Cox, Spillman, Miller(I expect he is used on STs also in additon to FB), and I would like to see Walker, Goldson and Bowman off STs, but am not mad if they are, they contribute nicely.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5280High:
If anything this draft has shown how little the media knows compared to professional evaluators. Irving... Jenkins.. no Upshaw, Hill, Fleener... I trust our front office and believe he just went under the radar due to other guys having more "prototypical" size yet lacking production. Great hands, intelligent, great route runner, and creates seperation... and we need a receiver sooner than later. If we ended up with a cruz/maclin type within one year compared to a Megatron/Andre Johnson in 3 years on a 4 year contract, I can get on board with that.

I'd like to see us maybe trade up to get fleener next round.

Or Brian Quick in later rounds
  • Garce
  • Veteran
I think LaMichael James in Round 2 would be a stellar pick as well
  • Garce
  • Veteran
me too
[ Edited by Garcia on Apr 26, 2012 at 9:55 PM ]

Think MD had him at 37? Love the work you do OTC but hoping MD is the better draftnik on this one.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
armchair GMs have no clue were Jenkins was rated on other team's boards.
A.J JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENKINS
  • Garce
  • Veteran

you cant judge what others think on their boards.

you have your own board. they went by it. he was the best player available according ot them
  • Garce
  • Veteran

you cant judge what others think on their boards.

you have your own board. they went by it. he was the best player available according ot them
Share 49ersWebzone