LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 209 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Antix
  • Veteran
This s the exact reason he's on the team. To provide depth and step up when he needs to. Everybody can talk s**t about harbaugh, but those 1st two picks that everybody was saying were a waste seem to be pretty important now.
Originally posted by Antix:
This s the exact reason he's on the team. To provide depth and step up when he needs to. Everybody can talk s**t about harbaugh, but those 1st two picks that everybody was saying were a waste seem to be pretty important now.

You mean we can really expect the team's 1st and 2nd rounders to actually PLAY? Holy s**t.

I think what a lot of people are disappointed about is that you don't draft a 1st round pick and not play him and then make up a bunch of phony nonsense about amazing depth that a team doesn't have. I was more than disconcerted when Jenkins wasn't able to beat out Williams and an aging Moss. Other teams have their rookie WR's contributing and making plays, its shouldn't have taken this long for Jenkins to play.

You don't draft 1st rounders to sit on the bench and NOT play. In this day and age of parity, nobody is deep enough to simply let a non-QB 1st rounder sit on ice for a whole season unless that 1st rounder simply isn't all that good to begin with.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 27, 2012 at 8:46 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
You mean we can really expect the team's 1st and 2nd rounders to actually PLAY? Holy s**t.

I think what a lot of people are disappointed about is that you don't draft a 1st round pick and not play him and then make up a bunch of phony nonsense about amazing depth that a team doesn't have. I was more than disconcerted when Jenkins wasn't able to beat out Williams and an aging Moss. Other teams have their rookie WR's contributing and making plays, its shouldn't have taken this long for Jenkins to play.

You don't draft 1st rounders to sit on the bench and NOT play. In this day and age of parity, nobody is deep enough to simply let a non-QB 1st rounder sit on ice for a whole season unless that 1st rounder simply isn't all that good to begin with.

Very late 1st round is like a high 2nd rounder. We aren't picking where we used to pick. He hasn't had many opportunities yet so it's hard to call him a bust right now. If we see the same thing next year I would worry. As a rookie with some veteran guys ahead of him I would not panic. He may or may not be any good. Some of it is learning the offense and getting used to the pro game.

I would suspect next year with Moss probably gone and Manningham recovering from his injury we will probably see more of him.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Very late 1st round is like a high 2nd rounder. We aren't picking where we used to pick. He hasn't had many opportunities yet so it's hard to call him a bust right now. If we see the same thing next year I would worry. As a rookie with some veteran guys ahead of him I would not panic. He may or may not be any good. Some of it is learning the offense and getting used to the pro game.

I would suspect next year with Moss probably gone and Manningham recovering from his injury we will probably see more of him.

I know what you mean by this but it kinda irks me when I hear it. Is a high 2nd rounder like a low first rounder? If Jenkins is a seen as a high 2nd rounder was David Baas a low first rounder? Frank Gore a low 2nd rounder? Can Brian Quick say that if there was one more team he'd be a first rounder?

Totally not trying to attack what youre saying. Just heard someone else say it recently and it just got my brain going thinking about it.
  • Jiks
Who?
Originally posted by btthepunk:

I know what you mean by this but it kinda irks me when I hear it. Is a high 2nd rounder like a low first rounder? If Jenkins is a seen as a high 2nd rounder was David Baas a low first rounder? Frank Gore a low 2nd rounder? Can Brian Quick say that if there was one more team he'd be a first rounder?

Totally not trying to attack what youre saying. Just heard someone else say it recently and it just got my brain going thinking about it.

back in the day when i was trying to convince myself that david baas could be a great player i remember thinking he was the first pick of the second round, he is basically a first rounder.
Originally posted by crabman82:

back in the day when i was trying to convince myself that david baas could be a great player i remember thinking he was the first pick of the second round, he is basically a first rounder.

My point exactly. Then people will say "Meh, Jenkins was basically a second rounder."
I really want the coaches to have some plays going towards him. He was improving each preseason game.
I think it has to do with the coachs wanting him to bulk up he's a small guy body wise for how tall he is. So some bulk on that little body would help. My guess is the coachs want to add weight, get him in a nfl condiation program and add muscle. Really I think that was the idea, Besides we had several guys who could do the job, Crabtree, Manham, Kyle, Moss, Ginn for Punts. Really we had plenty of starters consider were a run first heavy set mulit tightends kind of team..
Looks like a wasted draft pick to me if can't play at this point in the season....

• Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:

My point exactly. Then people will say "Meh, Jenkins was basically a second rounder."

Instead of rounds, its more relevant to say he was 30th overall pick, or 33rd overall pick. There is usually a large difference in talent between the top 10 and 20-30.
Coach mentioned that he was going to be a star and that he was taking down the names of all the writers that doubted the young man. . . . . . im hoping hes right.
James couldn't get on the field either and he's played well since Hunter went down. For whatever reason, the coaching staff decided to "red shirt" James and Jenkins. Balke has a pretty good track record. I'll hold out judgement until he gets an opportunity.
LMJ has played about average, certainly not better than Hunter.

IMO, they should have bounced Jacobs and got LMJ more involved in the blowout games like Bills, Jets.

I know - hindsight - But he'd have been more ready to contribute.

Hopefully they get him & AJ involved in the passing game VERY soon.
I'm not really worried about the draft class yet. Jim and Trent both said that Jenkins needs to work on his size and was taken with the idea that he'd have the first year to develop. Its why they brought in Moss, and Manningham. That's a great theory but was a bit of a gamble considering it was all based on the idea of everyone staying relatively healthy which unfortunately didn't happen. I believe he's going to be a stud and when he does get suited up next season, nobody will see him coming!!! GO NINERS!
Share 49ersWebzone