LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 355 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
Just remember that Harbaugh and company passed on Fleener, the guy who he coached at Stanford. There was a reason why Harbaugh passed on him ala pete carroll and Taylor Mays a few years ago...
I was one of the few that actually liked the Aldon Smith selection (had him on my short list of 5 favorite players in the draft), but AJ Jenkins is a terrible pick. I pray that I am wrong, but there is so little that seperates him from players that will be selected in round 5 and he really doesn't fit the system that well (tiny frame, short, and poor blocker). I would have much prefered a Joe Adams, Jarius Wright, or Greg Childs in the 3rd if we really wanted to go the undersized route.

While Baalke is very solid via free agency and has hit a few times in the draft, I think he gets too cute at times and does not value his draft position as much as he should. When you're picking in the 1st round, you don't draft "sleepers" that might "project" to be solid players, you draft guys that you fully expect to step in and be contributors. AJ Jenkins will be lucky to catch 15 passes this year and hasn't shown anything to make me think he could beat out Crabtree/Manningham. Please prove me wrong Baalke... I won't hold my breath.
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Welcome to the niners AJ!!

Cant wait to see him on the field!!
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
I read a comparison to Torrey Smith rookie for the Ravens last year.
Originally posted by valrod33:
In 2011, new #49ers WR @Ajjenkins8 averaged 48.6 yards per TD catch. Jenkins had five scoring TDs of 50+ yards. #FastIsFaster #Draft49 -- Taylor Price (@TaylorPrice49)

Next Jerry Rice but better
Originally posted by jreff22:
we drafted a WR last year, brought in Edwards, brought in Swain, brought up Hastings, and resigned Swain......none of those worked

You're comparing a first round pick to a 6th round pick, a low-risk signing, and a couple of scrubs?
Well, here's one way to look at it. Compare AJ Jenkins with Kendel Wright

Jenkins/Wright

Height: 6'0"/5'10"
Weight: 190/196
Bench: 12/16
Vert: 38 1/2/38 1/2
Broad: 10'04/10'01
Shuttle: 4.13/4.18
3 cone: 6.73/6.93

The only place Wright had an advantage was bench press. Other than that, Jenkins was as good or better.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
LOL at all of the wanabe draft pundits in here hating on this pick as if they know what the f**k they're talking about.

do the professionals in Sea look like they have a clue?

The track records speak for themselves. In our case, and in theirs. You don't like the pick, that's your prerogative. Baalke's track record has earned the right not to be harshly criticized at this point imo.

Trackrecord on WR's has been bad for this team. The only position we havent seriously hit on is WR. Again I have no issues with the kid I just think his spot was rich for the value.

That may well be true but all I'm saying is judgement needs to be reserved. For all any of us know this guy could lead the team in recieving next year. Or maybe he sucks. All i know is that we have zero receivers signed beyond 2013. The time is now to begin building this corps up. From his senior year numbers alone we could have done worse.

I have no issues with the kid, just his spot is high to me. I'm not calling him a bust or a waste, Im saying we could of traded up and taken him and gotten another kid at 30. Had we taken Glenn and moved up to 40 for Jenkins I would be fine. I do think we move up tomorrow but the question is what is more important a slot WR or a ROG?
Would've never guessed this pick but I have full faith in Harbaalke so I'm excited to see what this kid can do

Horrendous value. Many saw him as a guy who would be a reach in the SECOND ROUND, let alone the first. Now, personally I would have been JUST FINE if we traded back and took him, but I would have never touched Jenkins in the first.

Aldon was a fine pick because it was a legitimate top 12 pick kind of player AND filled an immediate need. Jenkins is not a legitimate first rounder, and unlike Aldon was not seen by ANYONE else as a first round talent. I simply did not find ANYTHING in the multiple games of watching Jenkins that led me to believe he was a star in the making.

My impression is he will be nothing more than a potential depth WR with STs ability. Obviously they expect his peak to be astronomically higher, but I am willing to bet they are wrong. I trust our staff, but they can't get every pick right, and I will venture to say this will be one that does not live up to 1st round status.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 26, 2012 at 9:51 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran

Guy is a stud.

Harbaugh said they clocked him @ a 4.31 @ the combine
The 9ers were forced to pick Jenkins to ruin all draft contests
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
do the professionals in Sea look like they have a clue?

lol. same guy who drafted Balmer.
Its a head scratcher for me, but if he was truely a guy they liked enough to put his name in a sealed envelope, then ill hold judgment. Welcome to the Niners.
Share 49ersWebzone