There are 177 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Pick6:
Nathan Scheelhaase completed 184 passes for 2110 yards and 13 TDs...

AJ Jenkins caught 90 balls for 1276 yards and 8 TDs...

I haven't watched a bunch of tape (only the Northwestern game) but those numbers blow my mind. The next best reciever caught 26 for 226 and 1. This tells me either Defenses didn't care... or Jenkins does a helluva job getting open in space. Illinois was awful... for Jenkins to be this productive is a surprise... and I think with a better supporting cast he will only get better. There was no running game either as the top rusher was qb scheelhaase with 624 yards on 191 carries. My guess is Jenkins wasn't sent deep because there wasn't time to throw it deep and Scheelhaase was running sooner rather than later.

More I look beyond what people think... I believe this will be a very good pick.

Yeah, that's a RIDICULOUS percentage of production from the #1 WR, even in college. And like you said, I don't think defenses were ignoring the fact that he was clearly their #1 WR. He had 1000 yds as a Junior, too.
[ Edited by captveg on Apr 26, 2012 at 9:27 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Was it our own great Bill Walsh that said something to the tune of "Trading back is great but at some point you just have to take the guy and make the pick"

Baalke follows this pretty well. I am really excited about this. Jenkins is genuinely excited about this situation and he is just pumped, there is nothing more motivating then reaching for a guy and saying "we love him, were putting faith in him and were taking him were we can get him".

he visited teams all slotted to go from the 29-40th pick range, yes it could mean they liked him at this point in the 2nd/3rd round as well but I'm more inclined to believe he was going to go in the top 45 for sure. He was the 7th best wideout on most boards and the top 3 were already off the board, thats not really a reach if you ask me.

EDIT: 1:30 for the Northwestern highlights, man for him to hold on to that ball! Talk about absorbing a hit, definitely has the hands.
[ Edited by sfout on Apr 26, 2012 at 9:30 PM ]
Cruz best year in college--15 yd average, 1064 total, 69 long, 6 TDs

Jenkins best year in college--14 yd average, 1200 total, 77 long, 8 TDs.

Don't see a reason Jenkins can't be every bit as good as Cruz. Speed, hands and good production. Surprised by the pick but...what the hell do I know?
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Originally posted by ALLDONE:
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by ALLDONE:
Money comes and goes. Once a draft pick is spent it's forever gone.

Cap space

....can be creatively managed

Someone get this guy's resume to the 49ers. He has all the answers.

Forgive me for being upset that we drafted a guy who would have likely been there 15 picks later. Fleener, Hill & Randle were still on the board. I wouldn't be surprised to see teams trade up and take those guys early tomorrow.

All I know is we have a bunch of #2 WRs already. If we want a WR, why not trade up and get a #1? Sure Jenkins could be a star, but why not at least maximize draft position? Baalke's answer is a cop out.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
A surprise pick but so far he reads like someone we need. A sure-handed, polished route running receiver with some speed. Red-zone target is still a deficiency but we also did not have many sure-handed receivers to convert third downs last year.

A Torry Holt or Reggie Wayne perhaps?

Or Jason Hill.

Alex Smith will throw every pass high.

In videos, it seems like Jenkins has the ability to pluck a ball thrown high.
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
Originally posted by jreff22:
You're assuming Moss pans out and Williams makes the team...the guy isn't going to be wearing sweats on Sundays.

If Moss doesn't work out and Williams doesn't make the team we are in serious trouble

Would you be that surprised if either happened?

Williams I expect to get cut, Moss is 50/50.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
"Bright football guy, gold-helmet guy and somebody that we're real pleased to have."--Harbs on AJ

s**t gave me wood.

I should probably fap more often...
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
LOL at all of the wanabe draft pundits in here hating on this pick as if they know what the f**k they're talking about.

do the professionals in Sea look like they have a clue?

The track records speak for themselves. In our case, and in theirs. You don't like the pick, that's your prerogative. Baalke's track record has earned the right not to be harshly criticized at this point imo.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
still a big reach, yes Aldon was but not this big of a reach

Most analysis I have heard, say that Jenkins was projected to go near the top of the 2nd, so how is that a "reach" at 30?

draftscout 58
otc 83
MD 52
NFP 167

He was a late riser on a lot of teams boards. That is what many reporters are stating.

Still think we could of moved up in the 2nd like we did with Kap. This move makes Moss very important for the RZ.

Don't forget, no TE's have been taken yet and there are some pretty tall and talented guys left. I wouldn't be surprised if the Niners took a guy like LaDarius Green, Taylor Thompson, Dwayne Allen or Orson Charles in the later rounds.
You're assuming Moss pans out and Williams makes the team...the guy isn't going to be wearing sweats on Sundays.

If Moss doesn't work out and Williams doesn't make the team we are in serious trouble

So Williams gets cut...that means we dress Moss, Manningham, Ginn, Crabs, and Jenkins.

Originally posted by Niner3030:
Because Mike Wallace doesn't want a realistic contract. He wants Calvin Johnson money.

That's where you get someone to explain to Wallace that if he's injured this year he'll never see anything close to Calvin Johnson money. In addition, he much shorter than Johnson and no where near the game changer. Wallace can go ahead and bank $2.76 mil for the year but lets face it, in the end for someone who likely doesn't have elite skills outside of athletic ability and the NFL, that's chump change. He can be brainwashed by his agent and look for CJ money or he can sign something more realistic and be taken care of for the rest of his life. So Mr. Wallace... what will it be?

So Williams gets cut...that means we dress Moss, Manningham, Ginn, Crabs, and Jenkins.

its a possibility but I think we only dressed 4 last year on gamedays
Good pick, not sexy, but filled a position of need. Six more rounds, still have chance to pick up that big receiver.

Welcome to the 49ers, AJ Jenkins.

from looking at his youtube highlights..he reminds me A LOT of victor cruz
Share 49ersWebzone